Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
Like Tree379Likes

Thread: Lt. Ray hits another home run!

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Depends on how you define dedication and commitment.

The members on my VFD are committed to the department, that being said they are also committed to their other activities and may not dedicate the amount of time YOU feel that they should. For most of the members, the fire department is a part of their lives, not the focal point of their lives, and that's perfectly OK.

I have accepted that and I work within those parameters.
    You've stated repeatedly your justifications for you and your FD's pathetic behavior.

We're very aware of your desire to get out of doing anything meaningful other than prancing around in a costume.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Quote Originally Posted by LAFE
    The problem is that there are hundreds or possibly even thousands of departments, primarily small community and rural volunteer or 1-3 man combo FDs that simply will never have the resources to "do the job" as he perceives it, and I have never seen him acknowledge that the fact. he seems to have to have to line of thinking that every department should "do the job", and that is simply an unrealistic view of the fire service.
    We do it everytime the pager goes off.... Whether we have one engine with 4 guys, or we empty the station. How do we do it? We don't make excuses as to why we can't do it....

Given the number of class submissions each year, and the fact that there may be folks on the review board who may be here or may have been here, and disagree with my opinions, there is a likelihood that the class will not be accepted, which is cool.
    Why am I not surprised that you will so willingly accept rejection and failure?

If you want to include victim search and rescue and interior fire attack as a mandatory part of the job, have at it. I don't, especially in rural areas with very limited manpower, and in some cases, questionable or unreliable equipment resources.
    You've gone beyond being a disgrace to the fire service, you're a disgrace to mankind. God forbid you do anything remotely dangerous to help your fellow man. You're a coward, Bobby. Simple as that. A big fat coward.

There are communities that will never have the resources - financial, manpower or mutual aid - to be an interior fire department. Like it or not that is the reality, and for them, they will not, in most cases, have the ability to operate interior or perform victim search operations
    Then they should hold a meeting at the town hall and tell the citizens, who expect the FD to show up and save their family members, possessions, and property, that you can't do anything except lob water from the outside and hope for the best, or that you're just going to back off and "let nature take it's course."

Is that the way that I like it? No. But I understand that in many places that is the way that it IS.
    Don't lie anymore, that's EXACTLY the way you like it. You just want to show up in the truck with your gear and appear superior to the lowly citizens. You don't give two schitts if you save the house or burn it down, as long as you continue to think you're better than the citizens you signed up to help.

I know in my VFD FDNY would have far more personnel, truck companies; a rescue company,a squad company with very specialized equipment and capabilities, and additional Chief officers as well as a whole lot more training and more importantly, experience.

Even my combo department with paid staff and a significant volunteer response can't even come close to the training and experience, even though we may match numbers on the first alarm, but after that, what we can bring in on second alarm/mutual aid is quite limited.

So in both worlds, there are significant differences.

To think otherwise makes no sense.
    More excuses to not do what you signed up for. God forbid you put some effort into anything other than excuses.

Yes, everyone of my personnel, and mutual aid personnel, going home uninjured is, as either an IC or a crew leader, my priority at every incident.
    That's every department, officer, IC, firefighter, etc priority. However that doesn't mean we stand around with our thumbs in our azzes because the fire is hot and it's dark in there. We go to work, doing what we were trained to do, to try and make the loss not so substantial, or to try and save the life of another human being. Keep hiding behind your safety vest, like you're the only one who cares if everyone goes home. That's all you seem to be good at anyway.

Most of my volunteer members have families, and in some of the cases, they are the sole providers.
    Yeah, same with the members at both of my departments. Yet we still make aggressive attacks, save property, and go home at the end of the day....

But I will not put that in front of the physical health of my members.
    Unless it involves a physical. Then you'll say it's unneccessary and let the 400lb driver keel over from a heart attack...

But that one hoseline can be more aggressive because they know they have a truck company ventilating and a truck company searching. They know that they have at least one other engine company operating a backup line. They know that they have personnel securing water. They know that there is enough command staff to observe fire conditions from the exterior and manage the incident. They know that they have a squad and a rescue, and in many cases, a truck as well, available for RIT or opening up the structure providing escape routes.
    More excuses. If you'd put the fire out, instead of worrying about filling your vests, the majority of the danger would go away.

It talks about the appropriate times to attempt rescues, yes.
    So, if it's "taught" by you, that means that rescues should never be attempted... I didn't know you needed to teach a class on when to stand around and do nothing...

I think it's fair to say that nobody even comes close.
    And it's unrealistic for anyone to think they can come close to the staffing levels of FDNY. But just because you can't roll the same number of apparatus and members to a fire as FDNY, doesn't mean that you just show up and watch the house burn down.

If the resources are not there to safely support interior ops, I will not put my members at risk.
    Then tell the community. Tell them that their houses will burn down and their families will die, because you're too much of a coward to attempt any sort of operations that would be considered remotely dangerous.

No .. tactics are not tactics. Tactics are shaped by training, experience and resources. the tactics of the FDNY where they have 30 folks and 8 companies on the first alarm will not work in a department that has 5 or 6 members responding on the first alarm. the tactics a department uses are very often manpower based.
    ..... Fire in NY..... Pull hose, spray water, fire goes out...
    Fire in Ruralville USA.... Pull hose... Spray water.... Fire goes out....

You're right, tactics aren't tactics...

Depends on how you define dedication and commitment.
    Your name and department have never gone in the same sentence with dedication and commitment.

Then why do you keep fighting it and keep trying to press your expectations of a fire department on those communities?
    Because I don't believe for one second that you've held a public hearing and as a department told your community that their house is going to burn down.
    FyredUp likes this.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    We do it everytime the pager goes off.... Whether we have one engine with 4 guys, or we empty the station. How do we do it? We don't make excuses as to why we can't do it....

Why am I not surprised that you will so willingly accept rejection and failure?

You've gone beyond being a disgrace to the fire service, you're a disgrace to mankind. God forbid you do anything remotely dangerous to help your fellow man. You're a coward, Bobby. Simple as that. A big fat coward.

Then they should hold a meeting at the town hall and tell the citizens, who expect the FD to show up and save their family members, possessions, and property, that you can't do anything except lob water from the outside and hope for the best, or that you're just going to back off and "let nature take it's course."

Don't lie anymore, that's EXACTLY the way you like it. You just want to show up in the truck with your gear and appear superior to the lowly citizens. You don't give two schitts if you save the house or burn it down, as long as you continue to think you're better than the citizens you signed up to help.

More excuses to not do what you signed up for. God forbid you put some effort into anything other than excuses.

That's every department, officer, IC, firefighter, etc priority. However that doesn't mean we stand around with our thumbs in our azzes because the fire is hot and it's dark in there. We go to work, doing what we were trained to do, to try and make the loss not so substantial, or to try and save the life of another human being. Keep hiding behind your safety vest, like you're the only one who cares if everyone goes home. That's all you seem to be good at anyway.

Yeah, same with the members at both of my departments. Yet we still make aggressive attacks, save property, and go home at the end of the day....

Unless it involves a physical. Then you'll say it's unneccessary and let the 400lb driver keel over from a heart attack...

More excuses. If you'd put the fire out, instead of worrying about filling your vests, the majority of the danger would go away.

So, if it's "taught" by you, that means that rescues should never be attempted... I didn't know you needed to teach a class on when to stand around and do nothing...

And it's unrealistic for anyone to think they can come close to the staffing levels of FDNY. But just because you can't roll the same number of apparatus and members to a fire as FDNY, doesn't mean that you just show up and watch the house burn down.

Then tell the community. Tell them that their houses will burn down and their families will die, because you're too much of a coward to attempt any sort of operations that would be considered remotely dangerous.

..... Fire in NY..... Pull hose, spray water, fire goes out...
    Fire in Ruralville USA.... Pull hose... Spray water.... Fire goes out....

You're right, tactics aren't tactics...

Your name and department have never gone in the same sentence with dedication and commitment.

Because I don't believe for one second that you've held a public hearing and as a department told your community that their house is going to burn down.
    I applaud your patience in being willing to respond his nonsense. At least he's consistent.....pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    Apparently you read some of the periodicals. What are your criteria? What is the big deal? I have probably been given information that is wrong and it will take me some time to separate the junk from the treasure. I think the key is to be smart enough to ask questions and not be too arrogant to listen.
    Yep, I pretty much read everything I can get my hands on by the Lt. I also read pretty much what ever I can get my hands on by Paul Gleason, although I would not expect many here to know too much about him. I read pretty much what ever I can get my hands on, decide what makes sense to me and what does not. But the key is to keep reading and listening. (silly face added for......?)

If I only listened to firefighters that I knew, crap, I only know a few.
    Great. Glad you read a lot. Not attacking you at all, just a curious question came up. I read a lot too.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    So are you backing excuses for not planning ahead to handle those fireground concerns?
    Am I making excuses for not planning ahead? No.

Am I saying that there is a difference in tactics when you expect to be the only engine on scene? Am I saying there is a difference in tactics when you know you have multiple other engines and trucks on scene?

Yes. I am saying that. And anyone who would say differently is an idiot.

So, is there a difference in 3/4 guys in conrad's tactics than there are in FDNY tactics? There better be. His department/manpower/resources are very different. So I see a much bigger difference in how/what conrad does compared to FDNY. Much more than "one more guy on the line".

Does it mean conrad's department can't/won't do the job? Not at all. They will just do it a bit differently. And that's fine.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Am I making excuses for not planning ahead? No.

Am I saying that there is a difference in tactics when you expect to be the only engine on scene? Am I saying there is a difference in tactics when you know you have multiple other engines and trucks on scene?

Yes. I am saying that. And anyone who would say differently is an idiot.

Duh?

So, is there a difference in 3/4 guys in conrad's tactics than there are in FDNY tactics? There better be. His department/manpower/resources are very different. So I see a much bigger difference in how/what conrad does compared to FDNY. Much more than "one more guy on the line".

Duh, again. The point I was making is it appears some are advocating they can't do much or anything at all because they don't have the resources of the FDNY. If they are waiting for that most places in the US would not have any fire department at all.

Does it mean conrad's department can't/won't do the job? Not at all. They will just do it a bit differently. And that's fine.

EXACTLY THE POINT I WAS MAKING. Frankly, the woe is me'ers, the we can't do anything because we don't have what someone else has, or we can't do anything because we don't have all shiny and new trucks and equipment make me want to puke. That is not the fire service I know. We do the best we can with what we have and that means going inside to fight fire and save lives when conditions allow. Not appointing an excuse officer to give reasons and explanations for inaction.
    I wish a "Can do" attitude was more viable to some than a "We can't do" was.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 06-18-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

I wish a "Can do" attitude was more viable to some than a "We can't do" was.
    To paraphrase Shakespeare:

"Some people are born pitiful, some people achieve being pitiful, others have pitifulness (sic) thrust upon them."

With LAFE it's a case of all three.
    FyredUp and Chenzo like this.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Actually, no it wasn't specifically to LA, it was to a few of you who talk on and on about having to have x-number of people before you can do anything.
    Find where I ever posted that a department must have "X" people on scene before they take action.

It's ludicrious to think that would be effective. The department should have SOP's/SOG's, training, mentoring, education, and plans as to how to effectively do their job (especially the first-arriving engine and/or truck) while anticipating the arrival of the next apparatus.

Right or safe? If you want right or safe go find another career or organization to volunteer to. Frankly, it is rarely right when it comes to staffing, and this job will NEVER, EVER, NEVER, be entirely safe until the day arrives that we don't resond at all. Because the second we jump on the BRT and head out the door running red lights and siren until the second we back back in, shut down the engine and close the bay doors we are not 100% safe.
    I didn't really think that I needed to specificially spell out that I was using "safe" as a relative term. Yes, I once read on a pamphlet attached to my PPE that firefighting is an inherently dangerous job, so I get that. You have to agree with me, however, that there are certainly different levels of "safe" and there must also be a calculated risk associated with the actions we execute.

I just wonder how many FDs wait on scene until the entire first alarm assignment is on location before they attempt any interior fireground ops. Because I have never been on an FD that operates that way and I have never seen one that operates that way.
    Nor have I, and hope that I never see one either.

Come on. You think I am comparing depts.? That is unbelievable!
    Whoa brother, wasn't calling you or anyone else out specifically. I was simply addressing the "staffing" and "comparison" discussion that was being discussed.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Find where I ever posted that a department must have "X" people on scene before they take action.

Maybe not you specifically, but others certainly have.

It's ludicrious to think that would be effective. The department should have SOP's/SOG's, training, mentoring, education, and plans as to how to effectively do their job (especially the first-arriving engine and/or truck) while anticipating the arrival of the next apparatus.

And the department Chenzo is on HAS SOG's and a standing order to call mutual aid if there isn't sufficient staffing on hand as the first rig rolls out the door. So he knew he had additional resources en route. I know Chenzo well enough to know that if thought there was no safe chance to get the fire that he wouldn't have entered.

I didn't really think that I needed to specificially spell out that I was using "safe" as a relative term. Yes, I once read on a pamphlet attached to my PPE that firefighting is an inherently dangerous job, so I get that. You have to agree with me, however, that there are certainly different levels of "safe" and there must also be a calculated risk associated with the actions we execute.

Then we agree, I have NEVER advocated suicidal Banzai! Charges into structures on fire. We must be aggressive to savelives and property, but only when circumstances allow us to be.

Nor have I, and hope that I never see one either.

Yet Chenzo was chastized by a few people here for being overly aggressive and not waiting for help before entering. His decision clearly met 2 in 2 out and he did what his training and experience told him he could and it saved the house.
    I am glad I am closer to the end of my fire service career than the beginning because it seems the uber safety gurus will destroy what the fire service is and that will be a sad day for all of us.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

post deleted by Conrad 427 AKA FIREFIGHTER ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by conrad427; 06-18-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post

Whoa brother, wasn't calling you or anyone else out specifically. I was simply addressing the "staffing" and "comparison" discussion that was being discussed.
    I actually never compared staffing at all. I was simply wondering what was so different about a single hose team advancing a line in a big city and a single hose team advancing a line in a tiny town. I keep hearing how silly I am to ask such a question and how many more resources a big town has. How do the big guys get all 100 firefighters on the end of one line? Does the fact that a big city has 50 battalion chiefs really matter to the three or four guys advancing a single hose? That's all I asked. If you boil it down to the lowest common denominator, which in my mind is to advance a line to the seat of a fire, how different are we really?

Is this something a volunteer in a small town cant do?
    Last edited by conrad427; 06-18-2013 at 09:44 PM.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Great. Glad you read a lot. Not attacking you at all, just a curious question came up. I read a lot too.
    I had a hard time explaining myself properly and still don't know how to do it. I am not sure why I read what I do. I guess some of it "speaks to me" and some does not. I had an old fart tell me to never stop reading.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

MembersZone Subscriber

The day you quit trying to better yourself and be the best firefighter you can be is the day you need to turn your gear. This goes for the chief down to the newest zit faced kid you have.

We have several new kids that have never been in a working fire, but guess what they have been trained, they drill and practice on a regular basis, and are excitied about getting their first fire. They have no expereince but if tones drop in the next five mintues they are going to be able to say in the morning they have some experience.

Saying they don't have any experience and never letting them gain experience because of leadership having no desire to better themselves is just plain sad. Anyone in a leadership/training roll should always be looking for way to make their people the very best that they can be.

Accepting just good enough will make for a poor department. Finding excuses to not better the people in your department because you have no pride in what you do should be criminal.
    FyredUp, Chenzo and conrad427 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    Accepting just good enough will make for a poor department. Finding excuses to not better the people in your department because you have no pride in what you do should be criminal.
    You just described LAFE and his FD. They are prime examples of striving for mediocrity......and still fail.

Forum Member

I actually never compared staffing at all. I was simply wondering what was so different about a single hose team advancing a line in a big city and a single hose team advancing a line in a tiny town. I keep hearing how silly I am to ask such a question and how many more resources a big town has. How do the big guys get all 100 firefighters on the end of one line? Does the fact that a big city has 50 battalion chiefs really matter to the three or four guys advancing a single hose? That's all I asked. If you boil it down to the lowest common denominator, which in my mind is to advance a line to the seat of a fire, how different are we really?

Is this something a volunteer in a small town cant do?
    The issue is that lowest common denominator as you call it, does not work in a vacuum.

They need manpower for ventilation support. They need manpower for water supply support, especially
    in rural areas. They need support moving the line at the door. They need search support. And yes, they need chief officers need command support.

Fireground operations is much more than "the 2 or 3 guys" on the handline.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    The day you quit trying to better yourself and be the best firefighter you can be is the day you need to turn your gear. This goes for the chief down to the newest zit faced kid you have.

Agreed, which is why I have attended more outside training this year, most of it on the weekends on my own time, than any other member of my VFD.

There have been several other members that have also made that effort, but there have also been several that have not. You can't force members to take outside training.

We have several new kids that have never been in a working fire, but guess what they have been trained, they drill and practice on a regular basis, and are excitied about getting their first fire. They have no expereince but if tones drop in the next five mintues they are going to be able to say in the morning they have some experience.

And my guys at my VFD want to go interior at every opportunity as well, except it is our job as officers to determine when the situation is right to allow that to happen. Without enough experienced members to go interior with them, until they gain that experience, you are potentially setting the new guys upon for failure, or even worse.

At this time we, at my VFD, have a significant problem putting enough officers on scene to both remain exterior and run the fire and supervise the inexperienced folks interior. Sometimes choices have to be made in the interest of firefighter safety.

Saying they don't have any experience and never letting them gain experience because of leadership having no desire to better themselves is just plain sad. Anyone in a leadership/training roll should always be looking for way to make their people the very best that they can be.

Experience needs to be gained in manageable situations under supervision. See above.

We want them to gain experience which is why we have committed more of our budget to training, and are we doing much more live fire training, both locally and regionally, than we have in the past.

The more basic issue is simply a lack of fires to gain experience, and there is nothing that we can do about that.

Never did we say that we are accepting good enough, but we do understand that our members have a lot of things, including some pretty hefty workplace demands (70-80 hours per week is not uncommon for several of our members) that limit the amount of time they can spend on fire department activities.

We have increased training requirements. We have budgeted increased money for outside training. We are purchasing 2 new trucks this year as well as updated SCBA. I have improved public education programming. So nowhere are we just sitting around.

As far as the community interest in becoming firefighters and our very limited manpower, that is the reality, and as much as we don't like it, until we can create bodies or recruit more members, it's where we stand. And it's the reality in EVERY VFD in our parish as well as neighboring parishes as there is in LA, or at least this part of LA, very little interest in the community regarding volunteer firefighting. Because of that we are now using AMA to give us that additional manpower. The reality is that the situation is likely not to change, at least in the short term, and as a department we have no choice, for the sake of firefighter safety, to accept the fact that we have to be much less aggressive, operate interior less and potentially have to sacrifice property and possibly civilian lives to keep our members safe and uninjured.

As far as the community interest in becoming firefighters and our very limited manpower, that is the reality, and as much as we don't like it, until we can create bodies or recruit more members, it's where we stand. And it's the reality in EVERY VFD in our parish as well as neighboring parishes as there is in LA, or at least this part of LA, very little interest in the community regarding volunteer firefighting. Because of that we are now using AMA to give us that additional manpower. The reality is that the situation is likely not to change, at least in the short term, and as a department we have no choice, for the sake of firefighter safety, to accept the fact that we have to be much less aggressive, operate interior less and potentially have to sacrifice property and possibly civilian lives to keep our members safe and uninjured.
    Good to know that your pathetic mindset extends to other groups and not just you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Good to know that your pathetic mindset extends to other groups and not just you.
    Yup, pathetic.

Working within operational policies based on firefighter safety and the reality that we will have limited manpower at the majority of our incidents.
    Most people would call that identifying your limitations and identifying priorities based on those limitations.

Nice to know that your attitude extends from post to post.

I'm just curious what your brilliant solution would be.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-19-2013 at 09:52 AM.

I'm just curious what your brilliant solution would be.
    Getting rid of folks like you would be a good start.

Recruiting people interested in being firefighters would be second.

If there are not enough people, I would would hold town hall meetings and tell the citizens the obligations of being able to provide adequate fire protection are too onerous for our fellow neighbors and ask community input on how to deal with the issue.

There has to be other options other than what you are giving them.

Thanks for asking.

Forum Member

The reality is that the situation is likely not to change, at least in the short term, and as a department we have no choice, for the sake of firefighter safety, to accept the fact that we have to be much less aggressive, operate interior less and potentially have to sacrifice property and possibly civilian lives to keep our members safe and uninjured. [/COLOR]
    Sacrificing civilian lives to keep your precious members safe and uninjured????!!!!

What is God's name is wrong with you?

Thread Information