Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: I was browsing Backstep Firefighter today....

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Never said that.

I have always stated that they had workman's comp for medical bills as it's a state law that all FD's have workman's comp.

However, I have stated numerous times that LA workman's comp does not provide wage protection to volunteer firefighters.

It is for that reason that I will not commit them to a situation where they may be injured.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://sfm.dps.louisiana.gov/fi-fd_firemans-insurance.htm
    INSURANCE AVAILABLE TO FIREFIGHTERS
    Volunteer Insurance
    Workers' Compensation Coverage for Volunteer Firefighters
    Effective November 1, 2009
    We are pleased to announce that, effective November 1, 2009, the State Fire Marshal's Office has secured workers' compensation insurance coverage for Louisiana's active volunteer firefighters. The insurance carrier is Louisiana Workers' Compensation Insurance Corporation (LWCC) through Lewis Mohr Real Estate and Insurance Agency, LLC. I must thank Governor Jindal, the Louisiana Legislature, the Louisiana State Firemens Association, the Louisiana Fire Chiefs' Association, and the Professional Fire Fighters Association of Louisiana for their support of this effort. This is a remarkable accomplishment to protect the volunteer firefighters who loyally give of themselves to serve Louisiana's citizens and visitors!
    There are necessary steps that need to be taken to provide this coverage. FIRST, in order for workers' compensation insurance coverage to be provided, the State Fire Marshal must have a current roster indicating the membership of the department. The law states:
    La. R. S. 23:1036. C.(3). Any member who is not carried on the membership list of the organization as of the date of the member's injury shall not be entitled to the benefits of this Section.

SCHOLARSHIP FOR CHILDREN OF FIREFIGHTERS KILLED OR DISABLED IN PERFORMANCE OR DUTY
    Paid and volunteer for fees, tutition or other charity including room and board as long as child meets the academic requirements and maintains a "C" average. In addition such children shall be entitled to a cash grant of $240 per semester as an allowance for books, etc.

$50,000 ACCIDENTAL DEATH
    Resulting in course of performance of official duties payment by State Risk Manager out to the self insurance fund credited in R.S.39:1533(A).
    $50,000 - Spouse
    $25,000 - Children
    You will need the following information:
    Copy of marriage certificate.
    Affidavit the couple was living together at the time of death. Affidavit must be notarized.
    Copies of birth certificate(s) of children.
    Copy of death certificate or autopsy.
    "Fire Chief Affidavit" from the Fire Chief stating individual was employed or in an active role at the fire department at time of death as firefighter or volunteer firefighter.
    Proof of Loss - Hartford Accidental Death and Junior Fire Fighter Form

PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICERS AND FIREFIGHTERS DEATH BENEFITS
    Act USC 3796 et seq was enacted in 1976. As of September 01, 2000 PSOB's benefit increased to $151,635.00.

LOUISIANA STATE FIREMEN'S ASSOCIATION
    $15,000 accidental death benefit for fatality in the line of duty.
    http://sfm.dps.louisiana.gov/doc/fi/...blicsafety.pdf

........ looks to me like there are workmans comp benefits for LODD's in LA........
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    http://sfm.dps.louisiana.gov/doc/fi/...blicsafety.pdf

........ looks to me like there are workmans comp benefits for LODD's in LA........
    We are not discussing the LODD benefits.

We are discussing wage compensation. There is no wage compensation for volunteer firefighters in LA.

That's why I will not allow my members to be placed in situations where there is risk of injury without enough manpower and resources to support that task.

Re-read the post:

Never said that.

I have always stated that they had workman's comp for medical bills as it's a state law that all FD's have workman's comp.

However, I have stated numerous times that LA workman's comp does not provide wage protection to volunteer firefighters.

It is for that reason that I will not commit them to a situation where they may be injured.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    And here's the weenie. This post screams self preservation. You're fighting this so hard because you'd be cutting your own throat if your department mandated yearly physicals and p/t minimum standards.
    Not at all.

I have been cleared by my physician.

We are not discussing the LODD benefits.

We are discussing wage compensation. There is no wage compensation for volunteer firefighters in LA.

That's why I will not allow my members to be placed in situations where there is risk of injury without enough manpower and resources to support that task.

Re-read the post:

Never said that.

The State Fire Marshal may provide workers' compensation to volunteer firefighters. For the purpose of determining the amount of disability due to an injured volunteer, the volunteer's wages are considered to be the federal minimum wage or actual wages earned in the volunteer's regular employment. Total disability benefits may not exceed 520 weeks.

Contact: Louisiana Office of the State Fire Marshal. 8181 Independence Blvd, Baton Rouge, LA 70806. Phone: (800) 256-5452.

http://www.nvfc.org/hot-topics/workers-compensation

From the LA State Fire Marshal
    http://sfm.dps.louisiana.gov/doc/fi/...escription.pdf

I'm still not 100% sold on no wage protection.... Sounds to me like there is disability, both short term and long term, for volunteer firefighters in your state.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

I've come to the conclusion that you are a flip-flopping coward. You have hit rock bottom and are digging desperately for an escape. You believe you're helping your agencies, but in reality, are making the situation worse for those who have to serve under you. LA, the fire service isn't for you; however you may want to try politics, you've got flip-flopping and double standards down to a science.
    FyredUp, Chenzo and FF-Andy like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ToDaRoof View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that you are a flip-flopping coward. You have hit rock bottom and are digging desperately for an escape. You believe you're helping your agencies, but in reality, are making the situation worse for those who have to serve under you. LA, the fire service isn't for you; however you may want to try politics, you've got flip-flopping and double standards down to a science.
    Funny as those who work with me have no issues.

By the way, if you vote for me I'll make sure that you get a free government phone.

Maybe not to your face.

And you can keep your government phone, I prefer to actually work for things. And yes, my work consists of running into burning buildings to save people I don't know and the things that they've spent their hard earned dollar on. I even do it for free on my days off, and still take care of a family. Crazy concept, isn't it? You know, actually doing the thing you applied to do? Maybe you'll "get it" one day, but I'd be willing to bet a month's pay that you won't.
    Either strive to excel at this job or quit. There is no middle ground.

#wedontstop #expectfire

FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH-KTF

As ToDaRoof said, not to your face.

Consider this too, maybe if they truly have no issues with you, perhaps that's because you're pathetic thought process is all they've known... Maybe if they got out it to the real world with real firefighters doing the job, they would look at you and feel the same way as the rest of us do.

Forum Member

As ToDaRoof said, not to your face.

Consider this too, maybe if they truly have no issues with you, perhaps that's because you're pathetic thought process is all they've known... Maybe if they got out it to the real world with real firefighters doing the job, they would look at you and feel the same way as the rest of us do.
    Funny as I'm about to be promoted at my VFD and was just named the Education Trustee for the northwest LA chapter of a national firefighting fraternal organization.

Was just asked to come on as an hand-off instructor with state fire training agency.

And I still have several other departments calling asking me to teach on a regular basis. In fact, I just did 2 classes for 2 departments in a neighboring parish.

So .............................. .... Your point was??????

Funny as I'm about to be promoted at my VFD and was just named the Education Trustee for the northwest LA chapter of a national firefighting fraternal organization.

Sooooo now the whole NW portion of LA can burn down because of your pathetic views and tactics.... That's awesome...

Was just asked to come on as an hand-off instructor with state fire training agency.

Keep reading your resume, it won't change how any of us view you.

And I still have several other departments calling asking me to teach on a regular basis. In fact, I just did 2 classes for 2 departments in a neighboring parish.

I would take no instruction and a good luck pat on the back before I wasted any time sitting in a class that you were "teaching."

My point is, you keep making excuse after excuse after excuse, keep posting your resume, and keep trying to justify your pathetic actions.

I couldn't give two schitts of Obama appointed you Czar of the fire service, you'd still be a pathetic waste of turn out gear.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Brilliant move by your chief...promote yet another officer that lives AND works out of the district and hence is completely unavailable at times. Yet you continue to wonder why you have no officers available at fires. Pathetic continuation of the same nonsensical approach.

Golly that's pretty impressive. I have been teaching hand-off courses for the NFA for almost 2 decades. Of course that pales when you consider I have been a tech college fire instructor and certified teacher for 33 years. (Still want to try and impress us with your big accomplishments?) By the way, any decent instructor, or decent firefighter for that matter, will have other firefighters or neighboring departments ask them on occasion to show them a new skill or teach a class.

Well, since you have described your neighbors being as pathetic a train wreck as your VFD that makes complete sense. "Tonight guys I will teach you the top ten excuses for not going interior. 1) You might get a boo boo, 2) You have to clean equipment, 3) We need to fill command vests first, 4) ...

His point was pretty clear...too bad you are too obtuse to see it.
    Thanks for the little resume show again...I hope mine wasn't too much of a bitch slap for you.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 06-20-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

My point is, you keep making excuse after excuse after excuse, keep posting your resume, and keep trying to justify your pathetic actions.

I couldn't give two schitts of Obama appointed you Czar of the fire service, you'd still be a pathetic waste of turn out gear.
    And again, those who work with me disagree.

Forum Member

Brilliant move by your chief...promote yet another officer that lives AND works out of the district and hence is completely unavailable at times. Yet you continue to wonder why you have no officers available at fires. Pathetic continuation of the same nonsensical approach.

So officers should be available at all times? How about when you were working at your FT gig ... 100 miles away?

P.S .... I can respond in for daytime incidents as my FT is the neighboring district though I rarely do unless it's a working fire .

Golly that's pretty impressive. I have been teaching hand-off courses for the NFA for almost 2 decades. Of course that pales when you consider I have been a tech college fire instructor and certified teacher for 33 years. (Still want to try and impress us with your big accomplishments?) By the way, any decent instructor, or decent firefighter for that matter, will have other firefighters or neighboring departments ask them on occasion to show them a new skill or teach a class.

Cool.

Well, since you have described your neighbors being as pathetic a train wreck as your VFD that makes complete sense. "Tonight guys I will teach you the top ten excuses for not going interior. 1) You might get a boo boo, 2) You have to clean equipment, 3) We need to fill command vests first, 4) ...

Actually these were departments to the west of my FT gig with paid staffs, large budgets and good reputations.

Sorry to disappoint ya.

His point was pretty clear...too bad you are too obtuse to see it.

Ya, too bad it wasn't the case.

Thanks for the little resume show again...I hope mine wasn't too much of a bitch slap for you.

Nope.

Funny thing is that I been teaching regionally and statewide just as long, but hey, it's not like me to brag.

Forum Member

First,
    I would like to say hi to most all of you. I have been lurking here for quite some time, (since around 1999 or so). It has made me sad to see many of the high quality posters leave over the years. With that said, many high quality folks still contribute and that has me coming back. As I am no longer a FF, I have kept silent for many of these years, just posting once. I had reached out after trying to help a child who had gone off a cliff on his bike. No helmet. Just horrible, crushed skull. Thank you to those who responded to that post.
    I guess I would consider myself a buff now….
    Just a quick overview of me so you have at least some understanding of my background. I was in a department outside of Poughkeepsie NY from 1992-1998. I would consider the fire department I was on as “aggressive”. We were a combination department. We were “fortunate” to get good, consistent jobs. I loved it and wish I had stayed the course.
    I have come to a point that I need to post, just once, my true and utter disgust with LA. I have followed his post over the years, and am amazed that people like him are in the service. I could elaborate, but will not waste my time. This person seems to feed off the attention and I have no interest in feeding this troll.
    Even being out of the service for as long as I have, I have entered into a neighbors house that was on fire, stopped at ever car accident that I have come across, and ALWAYS try to help those in distress and need. It is who I am, and who many of you are. Keep up the good fight!
    I just wanted to reach out and thank you (and you know who you are) that do this job (IMHO) the right way.
    Best regards, and stay safe!
    K -
    Chenzo and conrad427 like this.

Originally Posted by Chenzo

Originally Posted by LAFE
    And again, those who work with me disagree.
    I find it odd that nobody from either of your FDs have ever posted in your defense.

Funny thing is that I been teaching regionally and statewide just as long, but hey, it's not like me to brag.
    I can imagine you sitting there typing this with a smirk on yur face, the fact is you keep posting everything you "do", every time you "teach" and every course you take as if you were a child looking to Mommy for attention.

Sorry, we are not buying it... and you can't give it away.
    Chenzo likes this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Here, let's have a picture, shall we?

Name:  courage-motivational-poster.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  28.1 KB
    conrad427 likes this.

Forum Member

Nice picture.

And your point?

I hope your not saying that we should be operating interior in that scenario.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Originally Posted by Chenzo

Originally Posted by LAFE

I find it odd that nobody from either of your FDs have ever posted in your defense.

I don't believe anyone from either department is a member at this site.

I can imagine you sitting there typing this with a smirk on yur face, the fact is you keep posting everything you "do", every time you "teach" and every course you take as if you were a child looking to Mommy for attention.

The only time I bring it up is when my activity regarding teaching or attending classes is challenged.

Sorry, we are not buying it... and you can't give it away.

Don't really care what you buy. Again, those who work with me know who I am, and that is really all that counts.

Nice picture.

And your point?

I hope your not saying that we should be operating interior in that scenario.
    You're an idiot.

That wasn't the point of the picture, but it's certainly the point of this response.

The only time I bring it up is when my activity regarding teaching or attending classes is challenged.
    Bullschitt. Any time you think you can weasle your resume in you do it.

Thread Information