Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Training question

Hello everyone i am a 22 year old Firefighter/Paramedic from Louisiana and just recently moved to Oregon and got involved in Wild land Firefighting. I have been in structural firefighting for about five years now so this is totally new to me. I have been through the fire academy but i am having a problem with this 3 mile walk in 45 minutes. I am in good shape not like i once was but still good shape, I've never really stood out when it came to running or walking a long distance in a certain amount of time especially the walking and its not because i tired out but i just didn't have the speed like some others but i always passed. I've always stood out in the strength aspect of testing, I'm not a really big guy i am only 5'10 180lbs but i have a lot of upper body strength and lower i just lack the speed. Wild land firefighting requires the arduous 3 mile walk with 45lbs in 45 minutes it doesn't sound like much i thought but i have been training for it and i cant seem to get under 50-51 minutes no matter what i do so i am asking for some possible tips on how to knock off some time? I have my test coming up within the next two weeks so i don't have much time any help would be greatly appreciated thanks. Remember i cannot jog or run in this test only walking is allowed.

Forum Member

are you carrying wieght when you train?

Can you listen to ipod or iphone while you test?

I know some runners have certain songs that they know the length to so they know how fast they are going.

you need to average a little over 4 mph, get some electronic devices to help fiqure that

do you have an iphone?

I am not a runner/ wlaker but maybe do not do the whole three miles everytime, do a mile or mile and a half?

Forum Member

I alternate on carrying weight and not carrying it and there is only like a 15 second difference without it. I am not exactly sure if you can have an ipod or not i have heard of people listening to music while they do there test but i will find out. I have a gps that i use to check my constant speed and i can keep up the 4mph for first mile or mile and a half but after that i slow down and its not like i get tired or out of breath but i seem to slow down every time. I have been changing up the distance like on Friday i did 1 mile, Saturday i done 2.5miles, Sunday i done 3 miles and today i done 4 miles. I don't want to overdue it so i think I'm going to take tomorrow off. I just don't understand why my pace is slowing after a mile and a half when I'm not feeling tired or out of breath unless i am getting tired and not noticing it.

Thread Information