Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2013 AFG for Structural Firefighting

Hello,

I am working with a neighboring department on their AFG grant and I am looking for some opinions from the group.

This department currently has no structural firefighting capabilities (BLS EMS and Wildland only) and our intent is to write an AFG grant to fix this. They run less than 100 calls per year and cover about 200 square miles with a population of less than 1000. We run auto-aid with them for most calls and handle all of their structural firefighting. Our average response time to their calls is 25 minutes.

I know that it is best to apply for only one AFG project per year. This department would be starting their structural firefighting program from the ground up requiring a grant for a vehicle, equipment, PPE and FFI training. Will it hurt them to apply for all of these or would it be okay since it is one project?

They own a 70s (guessing on the age, it could be older) open cab engine that is not and has never been in service for them due to mechanical problems. I believe it was donated to them years ago. It currently is storred outside and would be cost prohibitive to repair and place in service. I'm not sure if the grant should be written like they are replacing this vehicle or like they have no structural firefighting assets since neither is 100% true.

Any thoughts on these questions or any tips you think might be helpful would be appreciated. I am also happy to answer any additional questions.

Thanks,

Tim

MembersZone Subscriber

Even though they have no structural firefighting capabilities does the department still respond to structure fires in their district even though your department handles such calls? There is a big difference in "Priorities" if it's to support an existing mission (high) or a new mission (low).

What you are proposing is 2 projects a vehicle and an ops application. This is acceptable under AFG, it becomes a problem within a single application where a shopping cart approach is used for multiple requests.

You can submit a vehicle grant and within that same application requests funds to fully equip the vehicle to NFPA 1901 standards which includes SCBA, hose, nozzles etc. In addition, you will have to request funds for vehicle operator training as well.

The Ops grant you can request for the PPE and FF I/II training as both are high priorities.

My suggestion is to apply for both just be aware that the requests are to meet a new mission then the application(s) will be a long shot on being awarded.

Forum Member

And would be careful how you explain things, there's a difference between not doing structural FFing and not having the equipment to be able to do it. People that have minimal structural FF training and no PPE still technically perform structural FFing, they just don't have enough equipment to make it a safe interior operation. Your department has to come in and handle those tasks because they aren't equipped, big difference from not being willing. Run into the same issue where departments didn't have SCBA and a neighbor is handling interior Ops, it's not that they didn't perform structural, just didn't have right equipment.

Replacement of the current truck is a valid argument and how it should be marked on the application. If they own it, it has to be reported on the application whether it runs or not per the PG.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good points and information!

They do respond to structure fires with their brush trucks and would ensure building evacuation (to the extent possible), update incoming units and begin an exterior attack.

It sounds like we should take the direction of replacing the current inadequate, unsafe and out of service truck with a new engine that is equipped to NFPA 1901. This would also include funding for vehicle operator training.

We should then apply for an ops grant for PPE and FFI training that would allow them to perform their current misson safely and significantly more effectively.

Thanks again, this is exactly the information I needed to get on the right track. I would still welcome additional advise that anyone has.

I am just a little bit apprehensive here because it was not mentioned but, has this department been officially designated as the first due fire department for that area or are you the designated first due for structural?
    AFG PG states the following in terms of eligibility:

A fire department is an agency or organization having a formally recognized arrangement with a
    state, territory, local, or tribal authority (city, county, parish, fire district, township, town, or other
    governing body) to provide fire suppression to a population within a fixed geographical area on a first due basis.

I just have a slight technical concern here, as I ran into this problem several years ago when working with a tribal FD of hotshots who wanted to form their own FD yet their area was designated for structural fire suppression though another agency. It also begs the question whether or not either department has a contractual obligation to the residents for that support.

Not trying to be a wet blanket just throwing out some questions that might best be addressed at the AFG office if there are any doubts here.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Kurt,

I understand your concern, but I don't think it's an issue.

They are a legal fire protection district under Colorado law with responsibility for fire protection within their boundaries. I'm not sure why they have never addressed this before, but to my knowledge they are suposed to be providing structural fire protection. Thanks to a recent change in administration this issue is now being addressed.

No worries about being a wet blanket. I appreciate being advised of any possible issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Lump532 View Post
    Kurt,

I understand your concern, but I don't think it's an issue.

They are a legal fire protection district under Colorado law with responsibility for fire protection within their boundaries. I'm not sure why they have never addressed this before, but to my knowledge they are suposed to be providing structural fire protection. Thanks to a recent change in administration this issue is now being addressed.

No worries about being a wet blanket. I appreciate being advised of any possible issues.
    Well glad it is not an issue
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Making the argument to get an engine to replace a derelict that is not in service and may not have ever been in service with this dept. might be stretching the facts just a little.

Yes they may be needy and may want to get the job done, but going from a brush/ forestry fire fighting dept to a fully functional all hazards fire dept will take lots of training , equipment and $$$$$$$$.
    It would take several years to get the training for all hands, equipment and apparatus needed to assume the new role. Grant funds are low and extremely competitive at this time, so the odds are against all applicants being successful every application just based on the shear number of apps received each year.
    I think I read that there were almost 12000 apps this year and here are the stats courtesy of Andy:
    OPS: 2116 awards.....
    VEH: 93 awards.......

Likely a few more to come, but getting to the bottom of the $$$$ well for this year
    Last edited by islandfire03; 06-28-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Thread Information