Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Alcohol and fire trucks...not a winning combo...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Funny how you twist and contort.
    You should know.. you are a master at it.
    Chenzo likes this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

the 4-1-4

And, he defends and condones drinking in the firehouse. Brilliant.

He is now completely in the same category as hottotter.

Forum Member

I wonder if a lot of these depts. would be better off if the "social hall" was turned into a "training hall"?
    Beer after training? What about after a run? Non-responding members? Jackets and shirts for everyone? I am starting to see why some career guys get so mad when we volunteers call ourselves "Professional Volunteers." Good grief. Please don't lump me in with these Martians!
    Chenzo and FF-Andy like this.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    I wonder if a lot of these depts. would be better off if the "social hall" was turned into a "training hall"?

I guess that depends on if they can operate without the lost revenue, which in some cases, in pretty significant.

In the cases of the two previous VFDs that i was on that made some income off renting the space, they were used for both purposes.

Beer after training? What about after a run? Non-responding members? Jackets and shirts for everyone? I am starting to see why some career guys get so mad when we volunteers call ourselves "Professional Volunteers." Good grief. Please don't lump me in with these Martians!
    Some of us don't really care what those career guys think of us.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

the 4-1-4

Obviously you do. Other wise you wouldn't have to prattle and dance and try to justify your existence to them. It's obvious that it matters a lot to you.

Forum Member

Wait a second, don't you work for a career department? "Those" career guys? Taking more pride in your volunteer agency than the one that pays your bills? Something's not adding up here...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ToDaRoof View Post
    Wait a second, don't you work for a career department? "Those" career guys? Taking more pride in your volunteer agency than the one that pays your bills? Something's not adding up here...
    Nothing he posts adds up!

He's consistent at one thing, diverting the argument when he knows he's losing... That's it.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

As a matter of fact...we do; as well as your call and volunteer brothers who do the job the right way while people you try to drag it down. Thank God or what ever deity one worships or not that you are in the extreme minority.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I have a tremendous amount of pride in my combination department.

And yes, I do have more pride in my volunteer department, because they are volunteers.

Forum Member

Pathetic... :rolleyes

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    In a lot of them, that's exactly what the room is used for when it's not being rented out.

This isn't an either/or thing. It is possible to have a competent, well-trained fire department that has a banquet facility where alcohol can be served. And that's precisely the case in many places.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Pathetic... :rolleyes
    So why is it so pathetic to have more pride in my volunteer agency than my career gig?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talk about a posterchild for abortion.
    Chenzo likes this.

Forum Member

Funny how you twist and contort.
    I totally understood where he went with that post. You seem to take things in the literal sense that most people can smell the sarcasm. Do you take Ritalin?
    Chenzo likes this.
    IAFF

Forum Member

So why is it so pathetic to have more pride in my volunteer agency than my career gig?
    You're not seriously asking for an explanation here are you?
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    You're not seriously asking for an explanation here are you?
    The sad thing is... he is looking for an explanation in order to twist it and contort your explanntion to coincide with his "agenda"...
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 06-26-2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: correcting a spelling error.. it was late and I was tired...
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

He wants an explanation, I'll give him one. CONTORT THIS.
    There are vollies all over the country that push and push to get a career position, and sadly never achieve one. A career position isn't "just a job" as you treat it, and should be held in that manner. If all it does is pay the bills for you, and you take more pride in your vollie house, then quit, go get a job at Subway, and let someone fill the position that wants to be there and will put their career ahead of what they do in their off days. Many of us other career people are also volunteers somewhere else, but we don't bite the hand that feeds us either. PRIORITIES. Have some!
    Chenzo and BHFDwaterOps like this.

Forum Member

There are vollies all over the country that push and push to get a career position, and sadly never achieve one. A career position isn't "just a job" as you treat it, and should be held in that manner. If all it does is pay the bills for you, and you take more pride in your vollie house, then quit, go get a job at Subway, and let someone fill the position that wants to be there and will put their career ahead of what they do in their off days. Many of us other career people are also volunteers somewhere else, but we don't bite the hand that feeds us either. PRIORITIES. Have some!
    Huh?

Having more or less pride in my VFD, as compared to my career gig, has nothing to do with how well I do my job.

Having more pride in my volunteer department has nothing to do with my attitude regarding my full-time gig.

I will always have more pride in my VFD house, and volunteers in general, because they are not being paid to be there. And I will always take more pride in my volunteer accomplishments than my career accomplishments only because they were done as a volunteer, in addition to my full-time jobs at the time.

Forum Member

Once again, you don't get it. Your priorities are seriously screwed up, and there is no help for you.

Forum Member

Boby can't get a job at Subway, you see, they bake their own bread every day, the oven is hot and he might get an "owie" burn taking the sub rolls out of the oven.... after all, the stats say that every three or four days a Subway employee gets an "owie" Then there is that whole cutting the sandwich in half thing with a sharp kinfe, in his world anything sharper than a rubber ball is dangerous.
    conrad427 likes this.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Once again, you don't get it. Your priorities are seriously screwed up, and there is no help for you.
    And how are my priorities screwed up?

How does having more pride in my VFD and being a volunteer firefighter have anything to do with my job performance at my career gig?

I would put the same amount of effort into my career job regardless of my being a volunteer or not.

Being a volunteer has had no effect on my career gig. I have yet to miss any time at my career job as a result of overnight fires at my VFD. I have left work at my combo gig on two occasions, both after the DC asked me if I wanted to leave, for daytime fires at my VFD. I have yet to not attend any scheduled training at my combo gig due to my volunteer gig. In fact, my volunteer commitments have had no effect on any aspect of my fulltime job.

So again, how are my priorities screwed up?
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-26-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

The problem is not the alcohol in the firehouse.

Yes it is, alcohol has absolutely no place in the firehouse. Whether you give a damn about appearing professional or not, the mere presence of alcohol taints that. the firehouse is not a clubhouse, it is not a frat house, it is not the local saloon. It is supposed to be a place where people meet to train for and then respond to emergencies. Does the police station in Bossier Parrish have a fridge wth beer in it for the cops to drink before they go home? How about the DPW? How abut in the Parrish offices? Why NOT?

The problem is the management of the alcohol in the firehouse.

Exactly right but not for the reasons you believe. It is spineless chicken schitt officers that won't remove alcohol because they fear not being re-elected. You know Bobby, the good old boy network.

I have no issues with the member shaving a beer or two in the firehouse after a drill as long as it's clear that they will not be making runs.

WHY is it necessary? Go down to the local bar and have as many as you want. Who is supplying the beer in the firehouse? The department? Talk about a liability and safety issue for your members.

And I have been on departments where that was perfectly clear.

And you are supporting allowing a guy to drink in the firehouse, get into his pov and drive home after that...Yeah, there will never be an issue with that. You have been drinking so you can't go to this call, now get in your car and go home...What a complete F***ING Joke you are Bobby.
    Your comments here prove once and for all that all you are here for is to create controversy with idiotic, assinine, ridiculous stances that even a child could see make no sense.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Because you take more pride in something just because the people there do it for free, instead of the agency that pays your bills and probably wasn't easy to get into. I have pride and respect for most of the members in my vollie house, but I don't hold them in a higher regard than my paid house or my brothers there, especially over pay status. You do. If you don't have more pride in your paying gig than you do in your vollie one, you need to quit. It's not a career vs. volunteer thing (which you'll undoubtedly try to spin this into), it's a matter of placing the things of importance in life into the proper order. Here's a question for you, if your career gig told you that you couldn't volunteer anymore for fear of getting hurt and being unable to come to work, would you quit your job or your vollie house?

Forum Member

Until it is time for them to roll in and actually fight your fire for you. You know they actually allow your Chief to maintain the sham of a vfd that you have. Yeah, if I were you I would start dissing paid guys now.

Bobby, wr have a technical term for guys like you at my career firehouse. DUMB SCHITT!
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I have a tremendous amount of pride in my combination department.

Funny thing is you constantly tell us how there was too much to do as a volly to maintain your position properly, yet you are here for hours every weekday. Yeah, keep on justifying your made up position.

And yes, I do have more pride in my volunteer department, because they are volunteers.

Who without the PAID AMA department wouldn't go inside to extinguish a fire ever. Who can't gurantee any response at all of firefighters or officers, and who can't guarantee that if you do respond that you will have anyone capable of performing a rescue. Yeah I'd be proud of that too.
    You are a joke Bobby and crap like this just proves it.
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information