Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 95
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Alcohol and fire trucks...not a winning combo...

  1. #41
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    You're not seriously asking for an explanation here are you?
    The sad thing is... he is looking for an explanation in order to twist it and contort your explanntion to coincide with his "agenda"...
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 06-26-2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: correcting a spelling error.. it was late and I was tired...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY


  2. #42
    Forum Member ToDaRoof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Posts
    174

    Default

    He wants an explanation, I'll give him one. CONTORT THIS.
    There are vollies all over the country that push and push to get a career position, and sadly never achieve one. A career position isn't "just a job" as you treat it, and should be held in that manner. If all it does is pay the bills for you, and you take more pride in your vollie house, then quit, go get a job at Subway, and let someone fill the position that wants to be there and will put their career ahead of what they do in their off days. Many of us other career people are also volunteers somewhere else, but we don't bite the hand that feeds us either. PRIORITIES. Have some!
    Chenzo and BHFDwaterOps like this.

  3. #43
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ToDaRoof View Post
    He wants an explanation, I'll give him one. CONTORT THIS.
    There are vollies all over the country that push and push to get a career position, and sadly never achieve one. A career position isn't "just a job" as you treat it, and should be held in that manner. If all it does is pay the bills for you, and you take more pride in your vollie house, then quit, go get a job at Subway, and let someone fill the position that wants to be there and will put their career ahead of what they do in their off days. Many of us other career people are also volunteers somewhere else, but we don't bite the hand that feeds us either. PRIORITIES. Have some!
    Huh?

    Having more or less pride in my VFD, as compared to my career gig, has nothing to do with how well I do my job.

    Having more pride in my volunteer department has nothing to do with my attitude regarding my full-time gig.

    I will always have more pride in my VFD house, and volunteers in general, because they are not being paid to be there. And I will always take more pride in my volunteer accomplishments than my career accomplishments only because they were done as a volunteer, in addition to my full-time jobs at the time.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  4. #44
    Forum Member ToDaRoof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Once again, you don't get it. Your priorities are seriously screwed up, and there is no help for you.

  5. #45
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ToDaRoof View Post
    He wants an explanation, I'll give him one. CONTORT THIS.
    There are vollies all over the country that push and push to get a career position, and sadly never achieve one. A career position isn't "just a job" as you treat it, and should be held in that manner. If all it does is pay the bills for you, and you take more pride in your vollie house, then quit, go get a job at Subway, and let someone fill the position that wants to be there and will put their career ahead of what they do in their off days. Many of us other career people are also volunteers somewhere else, but we don't bite the hand that feeds us either. PRIORITIES. Have some!
    Boby can't get a job at Subway, you see, they bake their own bread every day, the oven is hot and he might get an "owie" burn taking the sub rolls out of the oven.... after all, the stats say that every three or four days a Subway employee gets an "owie" Then there is that whole cutting the sandwich in half thing with a sharp kinfe, in his world anything sharper than a rubber ball is dangerous.
    conrad427 likes this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  6. #46
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ToDaRoof View Post
    Once again, you don't get it. Your priorities are seriously screwed up, and there is no help for you.
    And how are my priorities screwed up?

    How does having more pride in my VFD and being a volunteer firefighter have anything to do with my job performance at my career gig?

    I would put the same amount of effort into my career job regardless of my being a volunteer or not.

    Being a volunteer has had no effect on my career gig. I have yet to miss any time at my career job as a result of overnight fires at my VFD. I have left work at my combo gig on two occasions, both after the DC asked me if I wanted to leave, for daytime fires at my VFD. I have yet to not attend any scheduled training at my combo gig due to my volunteer gig. In fact, my volunteer commitments have had no effect on any aspect of my fulltime job.

    So again, how are my priorities screwed up?
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-26-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  7. #47
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    The problem is not the alcohol in the firehouse.

    Yes it is, alcohol has absolutely no place in the firehouse. Whether you give a damn about appearing professional or not, the mere presence of alcohol taints that. the firehouse is not a clubhouse, it is not a frat house, it is not the local saloon. It is supposed to be a place where people meet to train for and then respond to emergencies. Does the police station in Bossier Parrish have a fridge wth beer in it for the cops to drink before they go home? How about the DPW? How abut in the Parrish offices? Why NOT?

    The problem is the management of the alcohol in the firehouse.

    Exactly right but not for the reasons you believe. It is spineless chicken schitt officers that won't remove alcohol because they fear not being re-elected. You know Bobby, the good old boy network.

    I have no issues with the member shaving a beer or two in the firehouse after a drill as long as it's clear that they will not be making runs.

    WHY is it necessary? Go down to the local bar and have as many as you want. Who is supplying the beer in the firehouse? The department? Talk about a liability and safety issue for your members.

    And I have been on departments where that was perfectly clear.

    And you are supporting allowing a guy to drink in the firehouse, get into his pov and drive home after that...Yeah, there will never be an issue with that. You have been drinking so you can't go to this call, now get in your car and go home...What a complete F***ING Joke you are Bobby.
    Your comments here prove once and for all that all you are here for is to create controversy with idiotic, assinine, ridiculous stances that even a child could see make no sense.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  8. #48
    Forum Member ToDaRoof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Because you take more pride in something just because the people there do it for free, instead of the agency that pays your bills and probably wasn't easy to get into. I have pride and respect for most of the members in my vollie house, but I don't hold them in a higher regard than my paid house or my brothers there, especially over pay status. You do. If you don't have more pride in your paying gig than you do in your vollie one, you need to quit. It's not a career vs. volunteer thing (which you'll undoubtedly try to spin this into), it's a matter of placing the things of importance in life into the proper order. Here's a question for you, if your career gig told you that you couldn't volunteer anymore for fear of getting hurt and being unable to come to work, would you quit your job or your vollie house?

  9. #49
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Some of us don't really care what those career guys think of us.
    Until it is time for them to roll in and actually fight your fire for you. You know they actually allow your Chief to maintain the sham of a vfd that you have. Yeah, if I were you I would start dissing paid guys now.

    Bobby, wr have a technical term for guys like you at my career firehouse. DUMB SCHITT!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  10. #50
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I have a tremendous amount of pride in my combination department.

    Funny thing is you constantly tell us how there was too much to do as a volly to maintain your position properly, yet you are here for hours every weekday. Yeah, keep on justifying your made up position.

    And yes, I do have more pride in my volunteer department, because they are volunteers.

    Who without the PAID AMA department wouldn't go inside to extinguish a fire ever. Who can't gurantee any response at all of firefighters or officers, and who can't guarantee that if you do respond that you will have anyone capable of performing a rescue. Yeah I'd be proud of that too.
    You are a joke Bobby and crap like this just proves it.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  11. #51
    Forum Member WVFD705's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Woodson, Texas
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    And you are supporting allowing a guy to drink in the firehouse, get into his pov and drive home after that...Yeah, there will never be an issue with that. You have been drinking so you can't go to this call, now get in your car and go home...What a complete F***ING Joke you are Bobby.
    That is exactly my problem with it. And that is why my department has a no alcohol policy at all of our functions. We don't want firefighters or anyone else coming to the fire hall, one of our events, or anything we are associated with, drinking, then driving home. No matter what safety precautions you take, that is a real danger and a real possibility. One wreck and the FD is getting some papers in the mail and a giant public black eye.

    The pitfalls and hazards with drinking at the fire hall are far, far greater than anything happening on the fire scene. In 2010, there were 2.33 firefighter fatalities for every 100,000 fire incidents. There were 3 fatalities from drunk driving for every 100,000 people (10,228 people killed in 2010).

    If we are talking safety, it would seem like the biggest step in safety would be to remove the highest risk/lowest reward activities first. In my book, that would be alcohol at the fire hall.

  12. #52
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ToDaRoof View Post
    Because you take more pride in something just because the people there do it for free, instead of the agency that pays your bills and probably wasn't easy to get into. I have pride and respect for most of the members in my vollie house, but I don't hold them in a higher regard than my paid house or my brothers there, especially over pay status. You do. If you don't have more pride in your paying gig than you do in your vollie one, you need to quit. It's not a career vs. volunteer thing (which you'll undoubtedly try to spin this into), it's a matter of placing the things of importance in life into the proper order. Here's a question for you, if your career gig told you that you couldn't volunteer anymore for fear of getting hurt and being unable to come to work, would you quit your job or your vollie house?
    Importance and pride are two very different things.

    I have the same amount of pride in both my career and volunteer departments.

    In terms of importance, yes, from the financial end, my full-time gig is more important. I have already told my VFD, as an example, that in the event of natural disaster hitting both communities, I would be required to respond in off-duty to my combo department.

    But that has nothing to do with pride. That has to do with the requirements of the job.

    As far as status, yes, I hold the members at my volunteer house at a higher regard than my career brothers, because they have made this commitment in addition to holding a full-time gig. And that is not a career v. volunteer thing either.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  13. #53
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,562

    Default

    Who without the PAID AMA department wouldn't go inside to extinguish a fire ever. Who can't gurantee any response at all of firefighters or officers, and who can't guarantee that if you do respond that you will have anyone capable of performing a rescue. Yeah I'd be proud of that too

    I'm proud of their commitment.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  14. #54
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    \

    I have the same amount of pride in both my career and volunteer departments.
    Post #34 on this thread... from your fingetips on the keyboard to God's ears...

    And yes, I do have more pride in my volunteer department, because they are volunteers.
    Contort yourself out of that!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  15. #55
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WVFD705 View Post
    That is exactly my problem with it. And that is why my department has a no alcohol policy at all of our functions. We don't want firefighters or anyone else coming to the fire hall, one of our events, or anything we are associated with, drinking, then driving home. No matter what safety precautions you take, that is a real danger and a real possibility. One wreck and the FD is getting some papers in the mail and a giant public black eye.

    The pitfalls and hazards with drinking at the fire hall are far, far greater than anything happening on the fire scene. In 2010, there were 2.33 firefighter fatalities for every 100,000 fire incidents. There were 3 fatalities from drunk driving for every 100,000 people (10,228 people killed in 2010).

    If we are talking safety, it would seem like the biggest step in safety would be to remove the highest risk/lowest reward activities first. In my book, that would be alcohol at the fire hall.
    And that is a potential issue.

    I also clearly stated that I would not support allowing drinking in either of my current departments. And both of them currently have zero alcohol policies.

    My only point was that I would not bash any department that does not have such policies as it is an internal decision that could be affected by a number of local circumstances.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  16. #56
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Post #34 on this thread... from your fingetips on the keyboard to God's ears...



    Contort yourself out of that!
    Does it really matter.

    I have equal pride in both departments.

    But I have more respect for my volunteers.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  17. #57
    Forum Member MEck51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    444

    Default

    I haven't been on here for a long time and most of the time I just browse. BUT, did someone just say that he left his job where he is employed as a "firefighter" to go put out a fire for his VFD? And his DC allowed it???????
    Both should be fired on the spot, you get paid to provide fire protection by taxpayers and you leave them hanging to go get your rocks off at your vollie gig and your DC is supposed to make sure you do your job. It's neglect of duty, You are both miserable failures and have no business calling your selves anything other than clowns.
    No disrespect meant towards the vollies that actually take fire protection and life safety serious, I know plenty that are great examples and I am proud to call them brothers.
    LA, Don't even bother defending yourself to me because I don't care about your opinion.

  18. #58
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    537

    Default

    I can understand the alcohol at departments that have a separate hall that is rented out as a fund raising venture. However the private renter should be the one serving the alcohol and getting the proper serving licenses. the fire department should not have any involvment other then owning the social hall.

    If it is a fire department function that is serving alcohol it should be removed from the actual operations and not in a firehouse. To this I am referring to the dinners at regional fire schools yearly banquets etc

  19. #59
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Does it really matter.

    I have equal pride in both departments.

    But I have more respect for my volunteers.
    Yes it matters... once again, you are lying and trying to backpedal on statements you made.
    Chenzo likes this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  20. #60
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Yes it matters... once again, you are lying and trying to backpedal on statements you made.
    Yup, you're right.

    Which members I take more pride in being around and have in is one of those critical things in life.

    I enjoy being around both, but it takes far more commitment to be a volunteer than to be a career member, and as such, I take more pride in being around volunteers than being around career members.

    And that's not a career v. volunteer thing. It's just that I have much more pride in what I have accomplished as a volunteer compared to my accomplishments as a career member, and would much prefer to be remembered when I die as a volunteer member than as a career member.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-26-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Combo Fire Dept
    By CFDENGINE512 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-18-2006, 09:45 AM
  2. Drinking alcohol and driving fire trucks...
    By ChiefReason in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 05:20 PM
  3. Fire Truck / Ambulance Combo
    By micgunderson in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-04-2002, 09:48 PM
  4. HURST EK COMBO or HP COMBO Tools...
    By Diesel in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2000, 06:36 PM
  5. Combo Vol Fire and Rescue Depts.
    By Cdaileym@netscape.net in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-18-1999, 02:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts