Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Lt. Ray McCormack.. batting 1.000...

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    And yes, I will continue to teach that we are the priority, and that all fireground operations should occur secondary to that priority.
    And they will read the trade magazines and go to websites like this, read the firefighter blogs on the internet, then read the bovine scat you post here and laugh at you...
    FyredUp, Chenzo and conrad427 like this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Because we can still make a difference, extinguish fires and perform rescues when those operations are supported by adequate training, experience, resources and command structure, and in the case of specialized rescue operations specialized and technical training, experience and specialized resources.

And that the reward justifies the risk.

Yes, we can still do our jobs but we have to remember that our lives do come first.
    Let me fix this entire post for you:

Interior firefighting and rescues are done when the AMA engine arrives.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

AMA means "Automatic MOOCHual Aid" right?

At least that is what we call it when a neighboring department cant get their poop in a group and rely completely on us because they spent the money unwisely.
    Last edited by conrad427; 06-24-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Again it's very simple .....

It absolutely is, you haven't got a single damn clue.

I don't care about putting out the fire and even making rescues as much as you, or many of the other regular posters do.

Let me fix this comment for you:

I LAFE, don't care about putting out the fire and even making rescues as much as you, the real firefighters do.

And yes, I fully understand that it is a part of the job. However, so is assuring the safety of our members.

You have no clue about the JOB. If you did you wouldn't post the absolutely ridiculous BULL SCHITT that you do.

I don't want to see buildings burn or people die, but I understand that in the rural environment the cards are stacked against the fire department, and in most cases, they will despite our best intentions or efforts.

Intentions? Efforts? What the F*** ever. Until you honestly tell the board and the citizens how bad a situation the VFD finds itself in anything you say is Bull Schitt and excuses.

If we can do something to change it, I will, but that being said, I will not have my members injured or put them into situations that they are not trained for or experienced enough to manage intervening in situations that we are unlikely to be able to change the outcome.

More pathetic nonsense. Until you fess up to the board and citizens it means absolutely nothing.
    More of the same nonsense...
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Excellent video on acceptable risk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjTwY...ature=youtu.be

Maybe I'll start posting stuff by this guy.
    Made it through 22 minutes. If you think this is Excellent....it explains an awful lot about you.

"Dr." Clark makes quite a few incorrect assumptions and misses (or leaves out) a lot of facts in his hypothesis and theories.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

I watched the whole damn thing. Thirty two minutes of my life I cant get back now. I cant say that I liked it much. Now I know how you guys feel when you read my posts.

Well, my new signature sums up how I feel about this "Dr."
    Last edited by conrad427; 06-25-2013 at 12:47 AM.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Let me fix this entire post for you:

Interior firefighting and rescues are done when the AMA engine arrives.
    ........ No.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Made it through 22 minutes. If you think this is Excellent....it explains an awful lot about you.

"Dr." Clark makes quite a few incorrect assumptions and misses (or leaves out) a lot of facts in his hypothesis and theories.
    I think he's right on spot.

Our culture needs to change.

Assumptions without looking into the facts is a dangerous path.

Let's take a simple one, early on....he makes the assumption that seatbelt use is excluded from the law for firefighters because of a need to be fast. Did he check into the fact that many apparatus don't have seatbelts in them and the law would make all of those vehicles illegal in a matter of seconds? Nope. He made the assumption (incorrect) to fit his agenda.

If he followed and used facts....he'd have a chance at some respect.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Assumptions without looking into the facts is a dangerous path.

Let's take a simple one, early on....he makes the assumption that seatbelt use is excluded from the law for firefighters because of a need to be fast. Did he check into the fact that many apparatus don't have seatbelts in them and the law would make all of those vehicles illegal in a matter of seconds? Nope. He made the assumption (incorrect) to fit his agenda.

Not going to disagree that in regards to that topic it may be the case, though in all honesty, I can't imagine that there are many apparatus still in service that do not have seatbelts, though you may still find some in rural areas.

You can't disagree that there are members out there that do use speed as an excused for not wearing a seatbelt.

If he followed and used facts....he'd have a chance at some respect.

The fact is there are things in the fire service culture that he discussed that does lead to injuries and also leads to a culture that says injuries, and LODDs, are OK, and a part of the job.

I know there will be those that disagree with my assessment, but have at it.

Nearly every rural department around here has older FEPP and newer FPP trucks. None of them have seatbelts that I'm aware. All of ours are just plain bench seats.

Forum Member

Default whats the best way to start this question .. please help

there's a question on the application form that ask

what skills , qualities and experience can you bring to a role of a firefighter ... now i what i can bring but whats the best way to format this instead of rambling on ?? so stressed out over a easy question

just wanted to know examples of how to simplify my paragraphs how the best way to sell my self

i was thinking along the lines like this

introduction

situation
    when i was working

task
    to supervise the pool

action
    to save the young boy

result
    my rescue was performed and the boy was safe

some star the star technique is a good way to go about it ...

i was thinking about throwing in a curve ball technique too , that's where something was going wrong and i overcame it ..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WVFD705 View Post
    Nearly every rural department around here has older FEPP and newer FPP trucks. None of them have seatbelts that I'm aware. All of ours are just plain bench seats.
    Ex-military vehicle are examples of trucks that would not have them, and I know that there are many rural departments that use them quite heavily.

There also may be some older model commercial trucks that do not have seatbelts.

But that being said, there are members that simply don't want to wear seatbelts as they feel that they do slow them down, and that is the type of needed cultural change that was being discussed in the video.

Why does our culture need to change? So that you're pathetic views and tactics can become the norm? You don't have the balls to man up and do the job, so you have to sink the rest of the fire service to your pathetic level?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, no. No dice hombre
    FyredUp and DeputyChiefGonzo like this.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Au contraire.. your perverted view of what the fire service should be needs to be changed.
    FyredUp and Chenzo like this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

The fact is there are things in the fire service culture that he discussed that does lead to injuries and also leads to a culture that says injuries, and LODDs, are OK, and a part of the job.

I know there will be those that disagree with my assessment, but have at it.
    There is no culture that says injuries and LODD's are Ok. And there never was.

There is a culture of accepting that sometimes....something....goes wrong. We learn from that.

Dr. Clark makes mention of FF's being too close (in his mind a culture) in a fire....does he look at any of the possible factual reasons those FF's were there? or does he simply use the result to further his cause? I know the answer is the latter because he never discusses WHY they were there other than his belief it's a "culture".

Sorry. He may have had good intentions...but he shoots himself in the foot so many times he can't be taken serious. And he probably was trying to get a good message out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    Why does our culture need to change? So that you're pathetic views and tactics can become the norm? You don't have the balls to man up and do the job, so you have to sink the rest of the fire service to your pathetic level?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, no. No dice hombre
    Our culture does change. We have learned from our past. We've improved on it, we respect it, we continue to learn from it. We don't hide from it. That's our culture.

Forum Member

Our culture does change. We have learned from our past. We've improved on it, we respect it, we continue to learn from it. We don't hide from it. That's our culture.
    I would debate that there is a portion of the fires service that has either not learned from the past or refuses to heed the lessons from the past.

Forum Member

There is no culture that says injuries and LODD's are Ok. And there never was.

There is a culture of accepting that sometimes....something....goes wrong. We learn from that.

Dr. Clark makes mention of FF's being too close (in his mind a culture) in a fire....does he look at any of the possible factual reasons those FF's were there? or does he simply use the result to further his cause? I know the answer is the latter because he never discusses WHY they were there other than his belief it's a "culture".

Sorry. He may have had good intentions...but he shoots himself in the foot so many times he can't be taken serious. And he probably was trying to get a good message out.
    Bull.

There have been folks here that have said that "injuries are a part of the job".

I would debate that there are places where injuries are fully accepted as part of being a firefighter.

Bull.

There have been folks here that have said that "injuries are a part of the job".

I would debate that there are places where injuries are fully accepted as part of being a firefighter.
    Injuries are a part of the job... any firefighter with more than three brain cells can figure that out

I slipped on a wet floor at a false alarm, landed on my portable radio and screwed up my back and was out for 20 tours back in 2006.

One of my firefighter brothers stepped in a hole while advancing a hose line into a home, severely sprained his ankle and was out for a couple of weeks.

Another brother firefighter tore his rotator cuff while doing a lift assist. He's been out for close to a year. Two others also suffered torn rotator cuffs, one while pulling a deuce and half line, the other doing a lift assist of a morbidly obese person in a tiny bathroom.

I watched as three brothers fell through a floor of a legacy built platform construction house. A couple had burn injuries, all were banged up when the adrenalin flowed and their brothers pulled them out of the basement.

One had a heart attack while doing RIT training, another has been diagnosed with occupational cancer. Both have submitted their retirement papers.

The only way to totally prevent injuries is to stop responding.
    FyredUp and Chenzo like this.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information