Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Lt. Ray McCormack.. batting 1.000...

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Injuries are a part of the job... any firefighter with more than three brain cells can figure that out

I slipped on a wet floor at a false alarm, landed on my portable radio and screwed up my back and was out for 20 tours back in 2006.

One of my firefighter brothers stepped in a hole while advancing a hose line into a home, severely sprained his ankle and was out for a couple of weeks.

Another brother firefighter tore his rotator cuff while doing a lift assist. He's been out for close to a year. Two others also suffered torn rotator cuffs, one while pulling a deuce and half line, the other doing a lift assist of a morbidly obese person in a tiny bathroom.

I watched as three brothers fell through a floor of a legacy built platform construction house. A couple had burn injuries, all were banged up when the adrenalin flowed and their brothers pulled them out of the basement.

One had a heart attack while doing RIT training, another has been diagnosed with occupational cancer. Both have submitted their retirement papers.

The only way to totally prevent injuries is to stop responding.
    We average at least eight people on light duty or off roster throughout the year, eight average right now there are ten from on the job injury or illness. In my career I have had surgeries on one knee. My other knee is being held off with regular cortisone shots. Both shoulders are in trouble with a rotator tear on one and a slap tear on the other. All on the job. Im actually at home right now getting over an exposure illness and probably will be out for a month. Please tell me how I could have avoided any of this and still be on the job.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I think he's right on spot.

Our culture needs to change.

This comes from the man that is perfectly happy to allow a bunch of fat bastards with cardic issues to be firefighters. Cardic issues is the number one cause of LODD's but you're more worried about not doing the job than trying to save someones life by saying no you can't be a firefighter because of your health.
    FyredUp, Chenzo and conrad427 like this.

I would debate that there is a portion of the fires service that has either not learned from the past or refuses to heed the lessons from the past.
    Not for nothing La....but your vol department seems to fit this category well. Physicals? Can't afford to do that....we may lose members. Out of shape members? As long as they stay exterior. Lack of volunteer spirit. Why? Because that is the "culture" of your area.

Just sayin....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Bull.

There have been folks here that have said that "injuries are a part of the job".

I would debate that there are places where injuries are fully accepted as part of being a firefighter.
    No bull. Yes, some injuries are part of the job. See Gonzo's post for some examples. And those examples can't be changed.

You believe there is a culture that believes injuries are Ok regardless of the situation. You are told many times that is not true. You fail to believe that and fail to ever prove that. There is no one that ignores all risk and accepts injuries. And you know that.
    conrad427 likes this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

just curious what is LA's real name, im wondering this because I too am a Louisiana fireman and pretty sure his views need to be brought up in our area, or at least people need to be made aware of him.

Enable your private messaging, I'll tell you.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lukejr985 View Post
    just curious what is LA's real name, im wondering this because I too am a Louisiana fireman and pretty sure his views need to be brought up in our area, or at least people need to be made aware of him.
    I would have been more than happy to tell you myself.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

PM enabled Chief

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Enable your private messaging, I'll tell you.
    I'd have suggested asking La himself.

Quote Originally Posted by lukejr985 View Post
    PM enabled Chief
    It won't let me send you a mesage yet
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Again, I'll be happy to tell you personally.

I'll even give you my e-mail.

Again, I'll be happy to tell you personally.

I'll even give you my e-mail.
    yardbreather@scaredoffire.net
    conrad427 likes this.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Is that his new one chief? I still have SafetySally@strokemyego.org

It's funny how many people are signing up for the forums just to disagree with La's viewpoints.

So far, I have it scored

0.0% agree

100% disagree
    IAFF

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    It's funny how many people are signing up for the forums just to disagree with La's viewpoints.

So far, I have it scored

0.0% agree

100% disagree
    I doubt Bobby represents the mindset of his VFD. That's obvious since no one other than him as chimed to verify and support him.

That in itself says legions.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I doubt Bobby represents the mindset of his VFD. That's obvious since no one other than him as chimed to verify and support him.

That in itself says legions.
    Yup, we know that every firefighter in this country is a member of Firehouse.com

Yup, we know that every firefighter in this country is a member of Firehouse.com
    No, but most of us who are members share things we find on here with our peers, and some of those peers join to contribute to discussion as well. That's the beauty of this confangled internet and networking. We are sorry that your peers are so ashamed of the silliness you plaster on this board that they won't participate.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ToDaRoof View Post
    No, but most of us who are members share things we find on here with our peers, and some of those peers join to contribute to discussion as well. That's the beauty of this confangled internet and networking. We are sorry that your peers are so ashamed of the silliness you plaster on this board that they won't participate.
    I actually interact very little with my peers on my combo or VFD.

I work with them and have had very little social interaction with the other members on any FD in which I been involved.

I actually interact very little with my peers on my combo or VFD.

I work with them and have had very little social interaction with the other members on any FD in which I been involved.
    "You don't want to get mixed up with a guy like me, Dottie. I'm a loner....a rebel". Pee Wee's Big Adventure.
    IAFF

Forum Member

I would debate that there is a portion of the fires service that has either not learned from the past or refuses to heed the lessons from the past.
    I would absolutely agree that that is the case in some places, but I firmly believe that it's not necessarily the wide spread epidemic that you seem to think it is and it's likely much more prevalent in the departments that you like to advocate for.

It's more likely that most departments are probably making the needed adjustments in some areas while being "stuck in the past" on some other matters.
    conrad427 likes this.

Thread Information