Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Lt. Ray McCormack.. batting 1.000...

From Urban Firefighter's Facebook page

This letter is from Chief Bobby Halton Editor of Fire Engineering Magazine regarding "Don't You Just Hate Traditions" by Ray McCormack
    Ray you hit the nail on the head, too many people today do not even know what a tradition is they confuse behavior with tradition, they confuse hooliganism with tradition they confuse stupidity with tradition.

The tradition of the fire service has been and will always be that we will at all times while on duty or on call be ready and willing to respond and perform our duty to the best of our abilities regardless of the peril we face and regardless of the conditions we must endure.

We will place ourselves in grave danger and risk to save our fellow man, we will in well-managed and well conducted operations do everything we can to save our communities property.

We will continue the tradition of placing honor above all else, of placing duty ahead of self, of respecting the rights and the dignity of all persons and continue to exercise the personal courage it takes to speak one's mind openly, to accept the opinions that differ from ours and the wisdom to adapt adjust and overcome when necessary in any situation. Love ya and God Bless Bobby
    Thank you Sir.
    Chenzo likes this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ToDaRoof View Post
    Or make friends with anyone he works/vollies with.
    I have man y friends on both of departments, but I generally simply choose not to hang out with them off-duty.

I keep firefighting and the rest of my life, by choice, very compartmentalized, for a number of reasons.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I have man y friends on both of departments, but I generally simply choose not to hang out with them off-duty.

I keep firefighting and the rest of my life, by choice, very compartmentalized, for a number of reasons.
    I would imagine even for you the obvious shame would make it hard to be around those guys off duty.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

Because you don't want anyone to know you're a basement dweller, fighting battles that you can't win with the real firefighters here?

If you say you have a lot of friends, one would think you'd actually spend time with them outside of work. But nope, you're a rebel. I bet you've made a majority of your "friends" on World of Warcraft, and they're all impressed by your superhero volunteer firefighting skills.
    Chenzo likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ToDaRoof View Post
    Because you don't want anyone to know you're a basement dweller, fighting battles that you can't win with the real firefighters here?

If you say you have a lot of friends, one would think you'd actually spend time with them outside of work. But nope, you're a rebel. I bet you've made a majority of your "friends" on World of Warcraft, and they're all impressed by your superhero volunteer firefighting skills.
    No, not a rebel.

I just prefer when I'm out of work to spend time alone or with my wife, not with the members I work or volunteer with. I simply see enough of them at work, drills, training and incidents.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Thread Information