Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Tacoma 2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed_Fire View Post
    The PAT is nothing to worry about. Anyone thats fit will do it no problem. Anyone know how many made it past the test?
    That is bad info folks.
    Alot of candidates struggle with the PAT at TFD; it's not the CPAT.
    Read the description at their website.

Forum Member

I agree with Flipper. The CPAT is much easier and I have seen many people fail the PAT. Unless you have done it before, do not go into the PAT thinking it will be a walk in the park.

Forum Member

Flipper any idea when the PAT will be scheduled for?

Forum Member

Between now and the end of October the PAT will be held, closer to early October is a good bet.
    Numbers look fairly good this year, so I hear.
    A quick review of how it works, from what I heard somewhere. This is not top secret info, and may have been presented to the candidates at the practice sessions, which has happened in the past:
    A class of anywhere from 11-20, budget dependent of course, somewhere in Spring 2014.
    It has been explained to the candidates that TFD operates under the Civil Service rules, and they go something like this:
    To hire 1 person, TFD is allowed to look at ranks 1-10.
    Each rank has a variable amount of candidates in that rank, based on ties; at the upper ranks (1-5), there are less candidates per rank because these are folks that scored very well on the written and/or had Veterans points.
    For each position more than the first position they are hiring, they can add another rank.
    So if they are hiring 2 people, they can look at ranks 1-11.
    3 people is ranks 1-12
    4 people is ranks 1-13.
    And so on.
    By doing some math you can figure out that a class of 11 people would mean TFD can look at ranks 1-20.
    TFD will invite candidates to the PAT based on an anticipated class size, and how many ranks Civil Service rules say they can look at. Likely up to ranks 20-25, maybe less, maybe more.It depends on how many they anticipate hiring, and how many candidates they can run through the PAT without costing a crazy amount of money.
    Candidates that successfully complete the PAT receive background packets to complete; sometimes the background packets come before the PAT, not sure when they arrive.
    TFD then looks at background packets and selects candidates for the Oral Interview.
    Not everyone that completes the PAT will move forward to the Oral Board.
    The written score and your performance at the PAT do nothing but move you forward to the next step.
    Once you are moved forward, they can choose anyone they want to get an Oral Interview, it has nothing to do with ranks at that point. Think of it as jumping from a big pool to a smaller pool.
    That decision is based on the "whole candidate." They look at everything in the packet to decide who has the most to offer to TFD.
    This is where some people get all ****y- there's always some guy that says, "My brother was ranked number 1, and didnt get to the Oral Interview, so it's all bull****".
    There is alot of info in the background, and everything is reviewed.
    Some people have made indiscretions in the past that maybe their own brothers dont know about.
    Maybe the other candidates had better backgrounds.
    Whatever.
    Typically, based on past practice, TFD invites 80-100 candidates to the Oral Interviews.
    Based on their performance at the Oral Interview, the candidates will be offered a position, or not. Some candidates that went to the Oral Interview for the first class get passed over, but get hired for the second class, which could be a year or more later.

Everything is tied to the budget, and the Chief doesn't know how many will be hired until the City Manager approves the hiring, which in the past has occurrred as late as 2 weeks before the intended start date for the Academy.

So when people ask for hard dates, or hard numbers about class size, no one can give a straight answer, because even the Chief doesn't know.

Based on past practice, the Oral Interview occur in Oct/Nov, offers of employment are made in Dec/Jan/Feb, and class starts in Feb/Mar/April.

Hope this helps everyone in the process.
    Again, all of this info is worth what you paid for it.
    Everything changes.
    And I just sweep the floors at night.

Forum Member

Thank you Flipper123! Great info and excellent job keeping those floors clean at night!!

Forum Member

Thank You Flipper123! for filling us in on that!

Forum Member

Default Gotta be soon

Someone said Sept 30-Oct 11 for the PAT, M-Fri, so you should be getting your invites soon.
    Good luck to all, and start prepping for interviews now!
    So I hear...
    GmanH2o likes this.

Forum Member

Has anyone received an invite to the PAT?

Forum Member

PAT invitations have been sent out. Best of luck to everyone!!!!

Forum Member

Default Pat

So how is everyone's PAT going so far? Don't have mine until next week.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeynick View Post
    So how is everyone's PAT going so far? Don't have mine until next week.
    Mine is Tomorrow AM. Practice PAT went alright, so I don't expect this to go horribly. Still pretty nervous. You coming from out of town, Smokey?

Forum Member

I'll be coming in from out of town too. Don't sweat tomorrow MJ, just use that nervous adrenaline for what it was evolved to do and grit your way through it ; ) Good luck to all!
    piphill likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeynick View Post
    I'll be coming in from out of town too. Don't sweat tomorrow MJ, just use that nervous adrenaline for what it was evolved to do and grit your way through it ; ) Good luck to all!
    Hope you did (or are going to do) well Smoke. Hopefully we'll see each other around in the future!

Forum Member

Anyone receive notice to turn in background application?

Forum Member

I haven't received anything yet.

Forum Member

Smokeynick any idea how many took the PAT?

Forum Member

The proctor said around 45 spots per day which would put the total at 450. BUT he said 45 weren't showing up every day...so a good guess might be 350-400 total.

Forum Member

Thanks NWDREX2!
    NWDREX2 likes this.

Forum Member

That's about what I heard too. Not bad odds considering past turnout numbers, so iron your suits, get a hair cut and cross the 'ol fingers for an interview invite : )
    mjboston likes this.

Forum Member

Been a few weeks. Anyone heard anything after the PAT yet? Background or interview?

Thread Information