Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By butterfire

Thread: Wow....Bomber

Forum Member

Default Wow....Bomber

Just had my first panel interview. Completely bombed it!!!

What irritates me the most is how easy the questions were. I was very prepared and rehearsed going in. i was anticipating "harder" or more "in depth" questions. I was caught off gaurd with how easy the questions were. I started over thinking my responses and I feel like I came off as a rambling bafoon. I can only hope the panel did not think so or that many other candidates tanked as well.

31 years old and feel like this could have been my one and only shot before I am too old and not as viable as a candidate.

Do not really know why I posted this. Just felt like I needed to vent. I appreciate all of the insight I have recived from many on this board.

Forum Member

good luck you never know

Forum Member

First and foremost, congrats for even getting to the interview! Many don't get that far.

Second, I'm pretty sure 90% of us didn't/haven't/won't get hired after our first try at getting on. There are those that do, but its a pretty rare thing for someone to get hired on their first try.

Third, start preparing now for your next interview,...think back to what you said recently, and write/type it out. Re-work what you don't like, and rehearse it until it genuinely sounds like you're having a casual, yet somewhat formal conversation with a stranger (because that is what the scenario is). Have a friend, sibling, relative, spouse, GF, etc. go over this with you, it helps you to get used-to answering the question for real, not just in your heard, or in front of a mirror.

Fourth, try not to be irritated by simple questions ....figure out simple answers.

And finally, Fifth,....I'm 37, and am in the midst of a sixth try at employment by a Fire Department. Think I've been hard on myself for not making it "by now"? You're darn right I have, but, I use what I learned from each and every experience I've had, and at this point, I am just now feeling really comfortable with the process, especially the interviews. I thought I would be on by my second or third try, but it didn't happen. And I'm going on my fourth year of trying to get on. I've come SUPER-CLOSE to getting on, but realized I had to do something more to ensure I do get on "next time".

Just keep trying and learning from each and every experience you have regarding the processes of becoming a Firefighter. And keep in mind people get hired in their 40's fairly often. Good luck!

Forum Member

I remember looking back at my first panel interview and my most recent. There is a huge difference due to practice. Good luck in the process. I know it's easy to second guess your answers after the interview is done. Another hard part is the waiting game to find out how you did. Some great resources are BCLepore from AspiringFirefighters, CaptBob from Eatstress, and Joseph Novell from 911interviews.

Forum Member

Stay positive.
    That first interview, no matter what the questions are, is brutal.
    That room starts spinning.
    Keep at it. And at 31.....plenty of time.

Forum Member

Thanks for the positive responses.

I am trying to view it as a "positive" and at a bare minimum I am using it as a valuable learning tool

Right there with you, having bombed some early in my testing too. I've found the painful lessons are often the ones to learn the most from.

It sounds like you are already working on it, but take this time to write down everything you would have liked to do differently while it's fresh in your head. I do this right after my orals now (in the parking lot in the car even) so everything is as fresh as possible and I remember what exactly was asked and said. Then take those notes and identify where you need help. Like I said though, it sounds like you have a good handle on what you may have done though.

Keep at it, learn from this experience and make efforts to guarantee the next isn't as painful.

Good luck!
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Now i feel like a horse's a@@.

Got a phone call today. Panel thought I did great.

Polygraph scheduled for next week.

Those things are so hard to get a handle on....wow
    nwavant likes this.

Forum Member

Ha! Congrats on moving forward! I have always look at the interview process as being the "game" we all have to play. We all have been there/done that when speaking of walking out of an interview and asking ourselves "what the heck was that?". One thing I've always done after every interview is to write down every question that was asked. I compiled a long list of questions and worked on each and every one so I was better prepared at the next interview.

Keep your head up, even if nothing happens after the next step (not implying anything). As some have previously mentioned, a lot of people don't make it to the interview let alone make it to backgrounds/polygraph. Keep at it!

Forum Member

congrats on passing it bro. good luck on the polygraph

You jack @$$!! Here I worried about you all weekend...

Congrats bro! Good news. There are some good threads on here about the poly if you are nervous about that. Just for clarification: not how to beat it, just what to expect. Good stuff.

Stay safe
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

well I'm shocked and pumped.

First attempt, no volunteer expierence, and no certs.

Today they called me to give me my conditional job offer. Physical exam tomorrow.

Wow. Excited and nervous. Ready to bust my hump and learn as much as I can!

Forum Member

Congratulations on your success! I hope it works out for you. In the end, we are really looking for good people who will make it through our training, make it through probation and will be an asset to our department. While you may not have thought you did well, they liked what they saw in you. Good work!!!

For the record, interviews are very predictable. More importantly, as you pointed out, they are rarely difficult. You should have thought about all of the most commonly asked interview questions. If you are not familiar with them they are posted on my site for free. I promise you that those who score on the top of the eligibility lists are not thinking about the question for the first time during the interview. Do your homework up front and be prepared. As you stated, the questions really aren't that complex.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information