Forum Member

Default Some advice.....

Just this week I passed my written test, physical test, and had my first panel interview after, what felt like, the longest 2 year wait ever. I gotta say, I think I did OK, but I feel I didn't do enough. All the questions were behavioral questions (such as: When you have a problem, what are the steps you take to solve said problem, or when was a time you had to make an unpopular decision). I stumbled over a couple. These questions threw me off because I was all prepared for typical interview questions like: Why do you want to be a firefighter? Strengths and weaknesses? etc. I guess I don't really understand, I would think they would want to get to know the candidates, but it was 5-6 behavioral questions and that was the end of it. Now it will be a waiting game for the next few months as some on the department will be retiring and positions will start to open. The hiring list lasts 2 years.

I want to be a firefighter so damn bad. I really was expecting an interview where I could finally express my desire and passion for the job to people that matter and understand, but I was unable to because of the type of interview it was. What else can I do to try to get ahead/stand out, and let them know how truly dedicated I am? Should I try to talk to the Fire Chief, or someone else, and express my desire and enthusiasm for the job? I just need some advice.

Forum Member

Sounds like what's done is done... If its anything like where I'm from your score after your interview is combined with your test score and that's where you sit on the list.. There isn't anything you can do to further your placement on that list.. So it's just a hope and pray.. My advise is apply to every department you can (even if you don't really want to work for that dept). Doing that will make you better at the tests and interviews! I applied to around 10-15 depts in a 2 yr period.. Traveled many miles but it all paid off.. I went from not making any list to becoming #1 on Two different depts! So I actually got to choose my future per say.. Hope something I said helped!

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. Got the letter in the mail yesterday, scored 80% on the interview and 85% for my overall average. Not sure if that is good or not. I am disappointed in my interview score. I do have another department I am testing for in October, it will be the 3rd department this year. I am just going to try to keep my head up and hope.

Forum Member

Live and learn

Would wait to contact, but do not try to do the interview over on the phone.
    Just check in and let them know you are still interested

Thread Information