Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 2 years worth of hard work and our new Ladder Tower is ordered.

Forum Member

Shes a beut, Tower412. Congrats on it, and break her in on the first night, JOBS.

Forum Member

Tower412,

Let me know how the prebuild goes. I've only done one aerial so I'm kind of interested to see how ours went compared to others.
    When we were getting ready to put a mid mount out for bids we looked at Rosenbauer. During our research we went to Fremont and toured the aerial plant. Also had a chance to speak with them at FDIC 2012. They have some nice features and I think they build a decent truck. We already have one of their engines.
    I have to admit, later that same day we went to Snyder and looked at the Smeal aerial as well. We also have a couple Smeal engines in service. I also think Smeal has some nice features and builds a decent truck. I would have no problem running either one of them.
    There needs to be a caveat inserted here. I'm not big on praise. Tom Osborne was a good coach. Bo Pelini is a decent coach. Only difference is that Dr. Tom had a lot more years at Nebraska than Bo so far. If you understand college football, especially Husker football, you will understand what I'm trying to say.
    For about the last 9 years I have operated both a mid mount platform and a rear mount ladder. Two different builders, different decades. As with anything, both have their pro's and con's. In my opinion, the mid mount is preferable. According to Sutphen, on our SP95, you need 24" between you and any obstruction to clear the bucket when you turn 90 degrees. Only time I am usually nervous is when I'm returning to the station with cars stopped beside me when I'm turning. That is easily mitigated by hugging the right side curb or turning between vehicles. Otherwise I consider it but don't get nervous about it. In comparison, the rear mount hangs over the front but sometimes you can forget the difference between it and the front bumper. It's all what you are used to operating.
    I'm just glad that in about a month we'll be operating two mid mounts, 95' and 100', platforms both. For our operation it will make each ladder that responds "standard".

Good Luck,
    Walt
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

Well got back 1am this morning from pre-con was hard working day and half of pre-con a lot of stuff was gone over and looked other trucks for other ideas and alot of things are being address/changed as with any pre-con trips and such her are a few photo's.

Here is a link to some pics.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default sutphen litter

Quote Originally Posted by TOWER412 View Post
    Yes it has a Onan 10Kw Hyd on board we wanted to do the greenstar 7kw system that way the main engine would shut down the greenstar would power all the elec and hvac but do to the tower being a midmount and at 11' there was no room under the ladder. We still got a greenstar system which it lith batteries so the main engine can shut down when not needed and at least having all our led lighting working yet for about 8 hrs.

We have no foam at all. We had it on our 73 75' snorkel when i started with my company back in 1993 and when i was there we never used and the old timers never said it had been used and our current scope has never had foam. If needed we could have a engine feed use the foam our we can just get the portable.

Yes it will have 2 arms for the stokes basket to be mounted to the platform that way its outside the platform and leaves plenty of room inside for us and ems with there stuff. Also those arms are used with the roof/parapit ladder and can be used as rope anchor points to if needed.
    We recently purchased an new Suthpen platform. We are tying to figure out the best way to secure the stokes backet to the arms. Do you set the stokes on the arms? Do you hang the stokes? Thanks for any info

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aaff162 View Post
    We recently purchased an new Suthpen platform. We are tying to figure out the best way to secure the stokes backet to the arms. Do you set the stokes on the arms? Do you hang the stokes? Thanks for any info
    I'm surprised your dealer didn't go over with you about the arms for your suthpen. If it is the sph100 the arms are mounted to the front of the basket catwalk and swing outward. You should place the stokes on top of the arms. Did they give you anything to hold the basket down to the arms. If not you can try to use pull type of tie downs. That is what we have been using on our aerialscope for years. We would lay stokes across the basket handrails and use pull type tie downs to hold it in place didn't leave much room in the basket. Just for the guy operating the basket and one other. With the new tower that we will be getting in July/August you swing the arms out and place the stokes on top of the arms. It keeps the stokes out side of the basket and you plenty of room inside. So you can have about 3-4 people. It will be nice because we can have our two guys and a emt now with us to monitor the vic.

Do you have a pic of your tower.

Forum Member

Hey Tower412, Do you have any in production photos that you can post of your new aerial ??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge View Post
    Hey Tower412, Do you have any in production photos that you can post of your new aerial ??
    As of right now I don't have any pics yet I should in about a week or two. Its a drivable chassis. The cab got painted this week and they will be starting to get it trimmed and out fitted. Then cab and chassis mated. Thats when I should have pics. 4/29 is when chassis/cab should be done and then of on the road to aerials around 5/5.

Forum Member

Just got a pic of the cab for our new ladder tower that is being built.
    Name:  IMG_0089.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  35.6 KB
    Last edited by TOWER412; 06-11-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Forum Member

Yes it has a Onan 10Kw Hyd on board we wanted to do the greenstar 7kw system that way the main engine would shut down the greenstar would power all the elec and hvac but do to the tower being a midmount and at 11' there was no room under the ladder. We still got a greenstar system which it lith batteries so the main engine can shut down when not needed and at least having all our led lighting working yet for about 8 hrs.

We have no foam at all. We had it on our 73 75' snorkel when i started with my company back in 1993 and when i was there we never used and the old timers never said it had been used and our current scope has never had foam. If needed we could have a engine feed use the foam our we can just get the portable.

Yes it will have 2 arms for the stokes basket to be mounted to the platform that way its outside the platform and leaves plenty of room inside for us and ems with there stuff. Also those arms are used with the roof/parapit ladder and can be used as rope anchor points to if needed.
    You were able to fit a snorkel in that house?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Yes we where able to fit a Snorkel in . The member who was on the committee for the Snorkel was also on the committee for the Aerialscope we are running now.

It was a 75' model on a Walther Bison chassis with pierce body that was done by Young Fire Apparatus.
    It is listed in a book on Young Fire Apparatus but they incorrectly listed it as a 85'.

Name:  Secaucus NJ Snorkle.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  26.7 KB

I have to take a pic of a pic hanging up in the firehouse showing it in the firehouse with the guys in front of it during one of the bi-annual fire chief inspection parades we use to have years ago.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    You were able to fit a snorkel in that house?
    Many Snorkel's are actually shorter in height than their replacement aerials. My sister company's was about 10 inches shorter.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

The cab looks good, but isn't the building of your tower taking longer than normal ?

Forum Member

Here a pic of our old snorkel in the firehouse it was pulled out about 3 foot for the pic. There was about a foot of room from the boom to the ceiling. I have the specs for the snorkel floating around some where have to see if its travel height is in there.
    Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  26.4 KB

As for why it taking a little long for our new rig. Is trucks ahead of us and also about a month delay do to one of there suppliers sold his company and they had to find a new one for the headlight stampings.

Forum Member

Moving right along. Leaving this Monday to head off to aerial division to have tower mounted then back to body for lights, bumper, body, and pump.
    Name:  SAM_2670.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  26.3 KBName:  SAM_2672.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  29.6 KBName:  SAM_2679.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  26.8 KB

Forum Member

Hey, Tower412 I see your old Aerialscope is for sale on one of the used fire apparatus web sites, is the new truck complete ??

Forum Member

New truck isn't complete yet. Still at aerials getting the last of the stuff done to it. They will be mounting our bell to the turntable after it gets repaired and rechromed. Also making mounts and suck for our flag holder setup for when we do flag details and our second set of ladder sign plates that mount over the perment ones. Hopefully with in 2 weeks be back to body and should be 30 to 45 days working for that and then we will be out there for final. Waiting on rep to get back to me.

Town keeps trying to sell our truck and the old rescue be for new rigs are hear or in service.

Forum Member

New truck isn't complete yet. Still at aerials getting the last of the stuff done to it. They will be mounting our bell to the turntable after it gets repaired and rechromed. Also making mounts and suck for our flag holder setup for when we do flag details and our second set of ladder sign plates that mount over the perment ones. Hopefully with in 2 weeks be back to body and should be 30 to 45 days working for that and then we will be out there for final. Waiting on rep to get back to me.

Town keeps trying to sell our truck and the old rescue be for new rigs are hear or in service.
    You should make sure to tell the Town idiots to back off until everyone is THOROUGHLY TRAINED on the new Tower. We required 6 hours of driving and operation before anyone could drive our new engine/tanker, and we had to have a minimum of 10 people trained before we put it in service. And firefighters have to be qualified on every other truck first before they can drive that one. Explain the investment you are making into that piece of equipment. It's not like you guys just got a new nozzle...

Forum Member

The mayor is a active member of the department and also past Cheif of the department

Forum Member

The new ladder tower sections are back from galvanizing. Going to paint then assembly and mounting by end of next week.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Looking Good !

Are all of the R.K. Ladders gavanized, then primed and painted, or just a special order by the fire departments. Is your ladder tower getting painted black, like the old Scope ??

Forum Member

I don't know what was standered for there aerial finish off hand. But they have three ways to finish the aerial which is painted, hot dip galvanized, or hot dip galvanized and then painted. The last is what we had picked and the aerial will be painted black to match the upper cab color and also to be kind of like what we had on our scope just with all sections and bucket being black. Can't do that to a scope with out the paint getting destroyed do to the boom telescoping inside and out of each other.

Forum Member

Question

Tower412, Do you know if the hot dip galvanizing enters the inside sections of the ladder & rungs , or just coats the exterior steel ? most rusting starts from the inside first, then eats threw the metal !

Forum Member

The hot dipping is outside and inside the way that Rosie puts them toghter it flows through all sections that are tube type do to holes being cut and then such as rungs and the other sections have a continuous means for the hot dip to go throught. They also have the main holes the the hot dip goes in and out.

Here is a link to the hot dipping they do.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Y6M8Hs2yU

Forum Member

I think that " ROSIE " is the only fire apparatus builder that uses hot dipping for stopping rust ,there are many aerial ladders out of service, that fail there annual ladder tests due to rust or cracked welds !

Forum Member

They hot dip the torque box, out rigger beam, and out rigger down tube.

Smeal is the only other one that does hot dip that i know off and they only do the outrigger down tubes.

Plus you can you can get the chassis frame rails and cross members hit dipped too. Which is what we did plus it helps locate any leaks because it's light color. When we toured kme's plant there was a pumper with its chassis painted gray for the same reason. I think fire engineering just a supplement with specing rigs and talked about painting chassis and the other comments a lighter for looking for leaks.

Ferrara just started spray bedliner there chassis's. Problem with that is you can't tell if there is anything broken under that stuff.
    Last edited by TOWER412; 08-27-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Thread Information