Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 80
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Report from Engine Co. 82 video

  1. #41
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SFD FF7 View Post
    CaptnJak, It's nice to know that I am not alone in my disgust of the state of the forum. I do happen to agree with most of you here that LA is annoying and not good for the fire service. I'm not sure you forum junkies are any better than he is. I am an occasional forum reader but I prefer hands on training and reading articles from known experts in the field.

    Yokel, thanks for the great idea. I will do my best to avoid the door hitting me on my way out. Thanks for the support.

    You should all do yourself a favor and not let LA, Captnjak or myself get your blood pressure up. It's not worth it and it's not worth my time either.
    Name:  baby crying.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  30.3 KB

    Need a hanky?
    conrad427 likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate


  2. #42
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    He can't. Because if you search you will find multiple incidents of him doing that very thing. I don't know if you noticed or not but he has not come back to respond because he knows flat out denying it would just be another bald faced lie.
    Sure did rebut it. Just a few posts up:

    Nope.

    When it's obvious, it's obvious


    Look at the reports.

    It's tough to deny the truth sometimes.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 07-02-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  3. #43
    Forum Member conrad427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Just south of Canada
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SFD FF7 View Post
    CaptnJak, It's nice to know that I am not alone in my disgust of the state of the forum. I do happen to agree with most of you here that LA is annoying and not good for the fire service. I'm not sure you forum junkies are any better than he is. I am an occasional forum reader but I prefer hands on training and reading articles from known experts in the field.

    Yokel, thanks for the great idea. I will do my best to avoid the door hitting me on my way out. Thanks for the support.

    You should all do yourself a favor and not let LA, Captnjak or myself get your blood pressure up. It's not worth it and it's not worth my time either.
    I am pretty new to the fire service and rather enjoy this site. I have yet to find a more active forum. I also appreciate the level of enthusiasm and passion that some of the posters display. You will also notice that I commented on my favorite part of the documentary.
    Anyway, without trying to inflame anyone's delicate sensibilities, I would invite you to post a discussion that meets your standards. I will comment to the best of my mediocre abilities.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

  4. #44
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Sure did rebut it. Just a few posts up:

    Nope.

    When it's obvious, it's obvious


    Look at the reports.

    It's tough to deny the truth sometimes.
    What's obvious is only a cold hearted, no conscience, son of a bitch, would offer anything but condolences on the very day of the death of Brother and Sister Firefighters in the line of duty. The fact that you are either trying to deny you blamed them for their own deaths, or trying to justify your behavior, speaks volumes about your lack of honor and Brotherhood.

    No one is saying not to learn from these incidents, but your method of "learning" is cruel and heartless.
    Chenzo and HFD50 like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  5. #45
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SFD FF7 View Post
    CaptnJak, It's nice to know that I am not alone in my disgust of the state of the forum. I do happen to agree with most of you here that LA is annoying and not good for the fire service. I'm not sure you forum junkies are any better than he is. I am an occasional forum reader but I prefer hands on training and reading articles from known experts in the field.

    Yokel, thanks for the great idea. I will do my best to avoid the door hitting me on my way out. Thanks for the support.

    You should all do yourself a favor and not let LA, Captnjak or myself get your blood pressure up. It's not worth it and it's not worth my time either.
    do you read the strategy and tactics part of the forums? and the extrication ? Usually lala doesn't muddy them up as bad as he does the general firefighting forum.
    ?

  6. #46
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SFD FF7 View Post
    I am not a regular contributor on the Firehouse Forums so I'm sorry if it seems like I am intruding however, does anyone know of another place on the internet where I can read forums about firefighting? This is no longer the place for education and open discussion about such topics as firefighting or anything remotely related to the job.

    All this place is anymore is a bash on LA site. This topic was a deliberate call out to him so more people can rip on his opinions. Don't call me an LA apoligist, but come on people, grow up. Stop feeding the flames and talk about things that matter to other real firefighters. If you all stop calling him out, maybe....just maybe, he won't bother you all so much.

    I'm sure many of you are very knowledgeable and have a lot to contribute. Why not give it a try instead of speding time and brain power on him.

    Well, since I posted this topic I can tell you exactly why I posted it.
    I came across it on Youtube and thought it was an awesome look back at our past. I read Smith's book over 30 years ago and thought it was a good read. To find a documentary on Smith and his engine was a real "find" for me. I started the job on the tail end of the "pullup boots" years. Had pullup boots and turnout coats for about 8 years before the switch over to bunker gear.

    I just thought it was cool to see all that stuff again and to watch them fight fires without SCBA.
    My jab at LA was done in an effort to keep him OUT of this thread. I posted this not to discuss tactics and in or out, or any of the other BS that LA keeps spewing. I just wanted everyone to enjoy a nice trip back in time.
    Chenzo likes this.

  7. #47
    Forum Member conrad427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Just south of Canada
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whammer79 View Post
    Well, since I posted this topic I can tell you exactly why I posted it.
    I came across it on Youtube and thought it was an awesome look back at our past. I read Smith's book over 30 years ago and thought it was a good read. To find a documentary on Smith and his engine was a real "find" for me. I started the job on the tail end of the "pullup boots" years. Had pullup boots and turnout coats for about 8 years before the switch over to bunker gear.

    I just thought it was cool to see all that stuff again and to watch them fight fires without SCBA.
    My jab at LA was done in an effort to keep him OUT of this thread. I posted this not to discuss tactics and in or out, or any of the other BS that LA keeps spewing. I just wanted everyone to enjoy a nice trip back in time.
    Thanks for the topic. I like to watch the documentary when I start complaining about how hard I work! Puts everything into perspective!
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

  8. #48
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    Thanks for the topic. I like to watch the documentary when I start complaining about how hard I work! Puts everything into perspective!
    It makes us appreciate how good we do have it today.

    Those steel cylinders sure sucked. Actually they still suck, as that is all that we have on my VFD to this day.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  9. #49
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whammer79 View Post
    Well, since I posted this topic I can tell you exactly why I posted it.
    I came across it on Youtube and thought it was an awesome look back at our past. I read Smith's book over 30 years ago and thought it was a good read. To find a documentary on Smith and his engine was a real "find" for me. I started the job on the tail end of the "pullup boots" years. Had pullup boots and turnout coats for about 8 years before the switch over to bunker gear.

    I just thought it was cool to see all that stuff again and to watch them fight fires without SCBA.
    My jab at LA was done in an effort to keep him OUT of this thread. I posted this not to discuss tactics and in or out, or any of the other BS that LA keeps spewing. I just wanted everyone to enjoy a nice trip back in time.
    Funny thing is that I very enjoy those trips back in time.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  10. #50
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Funny thing is that I very enjoy those trips back in time.

    I know you do, that's what makes you such a pretender. You identify yourself with men who share nothing in common with you.
    Chenzo likes this.

  11. #51
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    It makes us appreciate how good we do have it today.

    Those steel cylinders sure sucked. Actually they still suck, as that is all that we have on my VFD to this day.
    I think they had it better back in their day.
    I'm wrapped in bunker gear that traps all the heat inside and is far more dangerous than a turnout coat. In the summer months we all overheat, in the winter months the gear doesn't provide much warmth when outside.

    Instead of 20 mins of air I've now got 45 mins. Much better to rotate crews at shorter rather than longer intervals of time.

    Guys in the house talked to each other back then, now everyone's glued to their cell phone and texting.

  12. #52
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whammer79 View Post
    I think they had it better back in their day.
    I'm wrapped in bunker gear that traps all the heat inside and is far more dangerous than a turnout coat. In the summer months we all overheat, in the winter months the gear doesn't provide much warmth when outside.

    Instead of 20 mins of air I've now got 45 mins. Much better to rotate crews at shorter rather than longer intervals of time.

    Guys in the house talked to each other back then, now everyone's glued to their cell phone and texting.
    I agree with everything but the gear issue you brng up.. I started wearing my bunker pants after a friend got a real nasty burn on his leg after a large ember dropped into his pull up boot.. that was in 1984.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  13. #53
    Forum Member conrad427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Just south of Canada
    Posts
    536

    Default

    [QUOTE=Whammer79;1375550]I think they had it better back in their day.
    I'm wrapped in bunker gear that traps all the heat inside and is far more dangerous than a turnout coat. In the summer months we all overheat, in the winter months the gear doesn't provide much warmth when outside.

    Instead of 20 mins of air I've now got 45 mins. Much better to rotate crews at shorter rather than longer intervals of time.

    Guys in the house talked to each other back then, now everyone's glued to their cell phone and texting.[/QUOTE]

    I am a young guy with little time and I really start to feel bad when I see examples of the brotherhood our house has never had. I HATE cellphones, or should I say ANTI-SOCIAL device.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

  14. #54
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whammer79 View Post
    I think they had it better back in their day.
    I'm wrapped in bunker gear that traps all the heat inside and is far more dangerous than a turnout coat. In the summer months we all overheat, in the winter months the gear doesn't provide much warmth when outside.

    Instead of 20 mins of air I've now got 45 mins. Much better to rotate crews at shorter rather than longer intervals of time.

    Guys in the house talked to each other back then, now everyone's glued to their cell phone and texting.
    I caught that last few years of long coats and 3/4's, first at my college department and then at my next 2 departments. After that is was bunkers.

    I agree, though the tradeoff is better thermal protection.

    And I fully agree that cell phones, and the younger members fixation on playing games endlessly has taken a toll on station camaraderie.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  15. #55
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whammer79 View Post
    I know you do, that's what makes you such a pretender. You identify yourself with men who share nothing in common with you.
    Nice shot ... Wrong .... But nice shot anyway.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  16. #56
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    I agree with everything but the gear issue you brng up.. I started wearing my bunker pants after a friend got a real nasty burn on his leg after a large ember dropped into his pull up boot.. that was in 1984.
    I agree. Embers down the boot was pretty common. Had it several times and it's not fun. Nozzleman could douse his own leg but if you were backup you just had to go with it.

    Bunker gear is better; that's why we use it.

  17. #57
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Nice shot ... Wrong .... But nice shot anyway.
    I think it's a balls on accurate assessment...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  18. #58
    Forum Member snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    Never had 3/4 boots. But I have made an attack in a coat, Survivair 9838 with a steel bottle, and my black Ben Davis pants. Kneeling on a hot ember or a 16 penny nail head taught you one thing....don't get on your knees. Also, make sure there's no insulation or other crap in your coat before you tuck that elephant trunk in there...(cough cough cough).
    IAFF

  19. #59
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,844

    Default

    Ah the good old days...

    Rubber turn out coat, 3/4 boots, MSA (melt-away) topguard helmet, and the best leather gloves the hardware store had! Our SCBA, all 2 of them, were Scott 1800 psi Pak 1's.

    We finally got Nomex coats, and I bought my own bunker pants, Cairns N5A, hood, and actual firefighting gloves. The funny thing is if you tried to give a new guy the equivalent of the coat I had then today they would scream bloody murder. It was yellow nomex, green nomex needlepunch lined with a neoprene vapor barrier. In other words it was heavy, itchy and didn't breath at all. yet it was night and day over the rubber coat I had originally.

    Parts of the good old days were great, the PPE and SCBA sucked azz!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  20. #60
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    I agree with everything but the gear issue you brng up.. I started wearing my bunker pants after a friend got a real nasty burn on his leg after a large ember dropped into his pull up boot.. that was in 1984.
    The first bunker gear we got was by Bristol. It was great stuff, it kept you warm in the winter and you didn't overheat too badly in summer. But technology has moved on and I don't think for the better. You are so insulated you can easily push into temperatures that you should not be pushing into.

    Don't get me wrong, I don't want to go back to pullups boots, I prefer the bunker gear PANTS. The coat I'm not so thrilled with.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Engine 82 Ladder 31 old video
    By TrainEngineer in forum Emergency (& Non) Entertainment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2009, 01:17 AM
  2. CA- Fire Engine, Vehicle Collide; One Dead...(video)
    By CALFFBOU in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 02-21-2009, 12:12 AM
  3. Apparatus in Report from Engine company 82?
    By NonSurfinCaFF in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 08:26 PM
  4. Report From Engine Co. 82
    By stm4710 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 11:45 PM
  5. report from engine co. 82-read it!
    By fm2b in forum Emergency (& Non) Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2000, 11:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts