Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Report from Engine Co. 82 video

Forum Member

Yes I believe you were unfair. I don't know what makes you think we no longer have veterans in the fire service. Many Desert Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan vets coming on nowadays. No disrespect to vets intended, but plenty of non-veterans are excellent firefighters.

Yes the PPE has gotten better. That shouldn't be held against the modern firefighter. Fire dynamics HAVE changed greatly. You disregarded that part of my post entirely. I'm not sure why. Do you agree? Disagree?

In all likelihood, the Civil War vets denigrated the Spanish American War vets, who in turn denigrated the WWI vets, who then probably denigrated the WWII vets. It's a story as old as time. A generation from now the young kids coming on will have no use for the guys they see coming on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by captnjak View Post
    Yes I believe you were unfair. I don't know what makes you think we no longer have veterans in the fire service. Many Desert Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan vets coming on nowadays. No disrespect to vets intended, but plenty of non-veterans are excellent firefighters.

Yes the PPE has gotten better. That shouldn't be held against the modern firefighter. Fire dynamics HAVE changed greatly. You disregarded that part of my post entirely. I'm not sure why. Do you agree? Disagree?

In all likelihood, the Civil War vets denigrated the Spanish American War vets, who in turn denigrated the WWI vets, who then probably denigrated the WWII vets. It's a story as old as time. A generation from now the young kids coming on will have no use for the guys they see coming on.
    No one, I myself, was being unfair. When I began the equipment wasn't like what the members use now. As the years progressed, the gear, apparatus, tools and appliances got better. Fires have went from what we experience to what was being experience, when I hung my helmet up to what the members see now. We wore and use what we were issued as they members of today do. Fire begin and fire goes out, it doesn't matter one bit how much gear you are wearing, how cool an engine looks with all the bells and whistles and the light weight hose now in use.

No one put down any of you young guys. Times have changed my friend, and I kept up with it for over the 40 odd years I was in the fight. I can say this; I never liked a hood, except for winter time. I rarely used one even when I was a line officer. I was for safety, but I learned from old school members, probably like the young guns of today have from members with 20 odd years on the job.

Members today laugh at the old guys, who had to ride the rear step and the sides of ladder trucks, all with open cabs.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Members today laugh at the old guys, who had to ride the rear step and the sides of ladder trucks, all with open cabs.
    We laugh? Not at all. There's a feeling of respect, admiration, and at times, awe, for the way that the previous generations of firefighters were "forced" to deal with fires and other emergencies.

Did firefighters in the 40's through 70's have different challenges? Of course. SCBA weren't as plentiful, and there was a cultural climate that anyone who wore one wasn't "man enough" to take in some smoke. Burns were just accepted as part of the job. Riding an open cab in the middle of winter was acceptable, as the trade off was being able to see the thermal column on approach. But what were the downsides? Men being thrown off of, our out of the rig in crashes. Burns. Higher cancer rates. More injuries. Higher LODD rates due to smoke and flame.

Today, we have great PPE ensembles, pumps that do 50% of the work for the pump operator, plenty of lightweight SCBA for each member on the rig, lighter weight hose, and many other advancements. However, we also have to deal with lightweight residential construction, increased petroleum loads, higher and faster burn rates of buildings & building contents, tighter construction, more ventilation challenges, and a hose of other issues.

None of these things make either generation of firefighter better or smarter. We've simply had to adapt to meet new challenges.

When I retire in 15 years, I'll be able to tell my rookies, "hey, I used to work with a guy that rode tailboard way back in the day!" I'll then ensure that he or she understands that foundation laid by our predecessors is what provides the fire service that we have today.
    johnsb, conrad427 and HFD50 like this.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    No one, I myself, was being unfair. When I began the equipment wasn't like what the members use now. As the years progressed, the gear, apparatus, tools and appliances got better. Fires have went from what we experience to what was being experience, when I hung my helmet up to what the members see now. We wore and use what we were issued as they members of today do. Fire begin and fire goes out, it doesn't matter one bit how much gear you are wearing, how cool an engine looks with all the bells and whistles and the light weight hose now in use.

No one put down any of you young guys. Times have changed my friend, and I kept up with it for over the 40 odd years I was in the fight. I can say this; I never liked a hood, except for winter time. I rarely used one even when I was a line officer. I was for safety, but I learned from old school members, probably like the young guns of today have from members with 20 odd years on the job.

But you WERE unfair.

You stated that young guys coming on today would "rethink their career choice" if they had to deal with what you did.

You stated that "members nowadays couldn't cut it like the old guys did".

I believe those are unfair statements because you can't KNOW them to be true and because you compared current firefighters unfavorably to your generation.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: Anyone laughing at your generation of firemen (remember when it was OK to use that term?) is a giant A-hole!

Forum Member

Don't lump everybody into this group CaptOldTimer. We still use cotton jacket that is cleaned and hung after each use. Right or wrong, SCBA's are seldom used on roofs and once the fire is darkened down on the interior, those are stripped as well. It's not to be macho or anything When your one of the few departments out there that still have all their houses catching multiple fires a night on a regular basis, you don't stray far from your traditions and "old school" mentality. Things were definitely different back then and I tip my hat to the men from years past, but there are still some departments out there (albeit it is a very very small minority) that still do things the way they were done in the 80's. Right or wrong. And im sure some people will reply and say how it's unsafe or ignorant to do so, but it works for us. And when you're seeing fires on a daily basis, you go with what works.

Thread Information