Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By DeputyChiefGonzo
  • 1 Post By FyredUp

Thread: Great Rescue Me quote...

Forum Member

Default Great Rescue Me quote...

Denis Leary understands frefighters. his cousin Jerry Lucey was one of the Worcester 6... from "Rescue Me"

"But there ain't no medals on my chest, *******s, 'cause I ain't no hero. I'm a fireman. We're not in the business of making heroes here. We're in the business of discovering cowards, 'cause that's what you are if you can't take the heat. You're a pussy, and there ain't no room for pussies in the FDNY." ~ Tommy Gavin
    I woild like to add there isn't room for pussies in the fire service... period.

One of the biggest sets of "balls" demonstrated on the fireground was from a female firefighter...that Captain Rebecca "Becky" Boutin, Westfileld (MA) Fire at a fire. She realized one of her personnel was missing and went back in to get him and got him out of the area just before the room flashed over. She got the Firefighter of the ear award from the State Fire Marshal in 2013. I work with Becky at the Massachusetts Fire Academy, her husband Bill is a Captain with the Holyoke FD.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

You know Chief there has always been cowards in the fire service. You have known them and so do I. The guy whose SCBA always coincidently malfunctioned right at the entry point or mere seconds after entering the building. The guy who always disappears to help the MPO make the hydrant, or to get some mysterious piece of equipment, or who is ALWAYS first to the rehab area even though they didn't do a gosh darn thing. They like the idea of being a firefighter and they can tell you every fire buff detail of every piece of equipment your FD owns, and many of the MA FDs nearby, they just can't put any of that knowledge to work because when it is time to do it they chicken out.
    backsteprescue123 likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Thread Information