Forum Member

Default Cobb County, GA 2013

Requisition Title/Job Title: FIREFIGHTER I
    Department: Department Of Public Safety
    Position Number: 50142013
    Position information: This position reports to the Fire Department. The entry-level written test for this position will be given on August 20 - August 22, 2013.
    Salary: $38,355.20 per year
    Position Type: Full-Time
    Hours worked per week: 24 hours on duty/ 48 hours off duty
    Issue Date: 07-01-2013
    Final Filing Date: 07-26-2013

Minimum Qualifications:
    High School Diploma or GED
    Age 18 or older on or before test date
    Valid Driver's License
    Prior experience as a certified firefighter or certified medical provider preferred
    College coursework in Fire Science is desirable

Must successfully complete the following:
    Written entry level test
    Physical ability test
    In-depth background investigation
    Polygraph examination
    Psychological examination
    Medical examination and drug screen
    Special Instructions to Applicants: Important Information - Please Read Thoroughly

The entry-level written test for this position will be given on August 20 - August 22, 2013.

There will be representatives from Fire and Emergency Services, the Department of Public Safety and Human Resources at the test to explain the hiring process, and to answer questions you have about the position.

An email notification with your assigned test date and time along with directions will be sent to you after your application is reviewed and accepted by the Internal Affairs Unit.

If you do not receive an email by Wednesday, August 14th, please contact: felicia.wright@cobbcounty.org

Study Guide & Related Information:

You may download a Firefighter Study Guide and additional information at any time by going to http://hr.cobbcountyga.gov/study-guides.htm You may also access information by going to the Employment section of the County's website.

Good Luck!

Forum Member

Have they already selected the people they want to hire off the last round of testing?

Forum Member

I don't know. I heard they were having a hard time filling the slots due to backgrounds. If you are still in the last process I would apply again just in case.

Word is they want to hire 60 for an April start after the August class graduates.

Forum Member

They are still picking people for the August class from the last application process. I had my interview with the chief last Friday. As 2tonegator said, I would still apply if you have not heard anything.

Forum Member

2tone and pitts. I pm'd you guys with a couple questions. thanks.

Forum Member

Don't forget to apply, it's a great department!

Forum Member

One more week before closing.

Forum Member

2 more days.

Forum Member

Last day to apply.

Forum Member

Hey 2tonegator. Are you taking the exam this august?

Forum Member

Noepe, I'm on the job already.

Forum Member

Congrats man... I saw you posting in the 2011 thread. I'm glad things worked out for you. I realize they still are hiring off of your list. Any word on how many spots are left open?

By the way thanks for responding, i've been looking for an active cobb county thread.

Forum Member

Thanks. Last I heard they have 9. That was a couple weeks ago. The new class is starting soon, so I would think that everyone is set or will be soon.

Forum Member

Dang. so chances of getting hired off of this 2013 list is slim?

Forum Member

Off the 2011 list, probably slim. Off the 2013 test, probably a good chance of getting hired if you score well, in shape, and have a clean background. Like I said earlier, word is another large class starting after this one ends in April. Also, if everything works out, they want to start hiring regularly due to retirements and possibly expanding.

Forum Member

Sir I do appreciate the insight. thanks for all the input... all i can do is study and run, study and run.

Forum Member

Final class off 2011 test started on Monday with 22. Class will be split into EMS and fire sides. After the 1st fire side graduates, the 9 or so with all certs will be put in the field. When the other half goes into fire side word is they are trying to fast track some people who have the EMT certs already and have them complete fire school and get them in the field. Then the remaining will complete the AEMT training.

Forum Member

Hello Everybody.

I just took my exam on the 21st, anybody else here take the exam?

And 2tone, Do you have any word on how many actually took the test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cant_wait View Post
    Hello Everybody.

I just took my exam on the 21st, anybody else here take the exam?

And 2tone, Do you have any word on how many actually took the test?
    I did. I'm waiting to get a date for the oral board at the moment.

Just to clear up any speculation, as of a couple weeks ago they said they're going to hire at least 30 from the list and will hire more contingent upon receiving funding.

There were only something like 250 applicants, so the odds are definitely in your favor if you can make it through the process.
    Last edited by Mustang281; 11-10-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Forum Member

Yo thanks for responding. I was starting to think that I was the only here. Yea. I'm waiting on the date for the boards as well. and man thanks for the info on the number of applicants. that is ridiculously low. I hear that they will be giving out calls come January or feb for the interviews. Also from what I understand they are hiring in order from the written exam score. I got an 82, what did you get?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cant_wait View Post
    Yo thanks for responding. I was starting to think that I was the only here. Yea. I'm waiting on the date for the boards as well. and man thanks for the info on the number of applicants. that is ridiculously low. I hear that they will be giving out calls come January or feb for the interviews. Also from what I understand they are hiring in order from the written exam score. I got an 82, what did you get?
    Either an 88 or 89, I can't remember off the top of my head. I didn't hear the bit about hiring off the written score but I suppose that's good news. I recently passed my NREMT-P and when talking to Internal Affairs was told that it would "put me in a different category" so hopefully that accounts for something as well.

It's good to see someone else from Florida. I'm living over in Tampa at the moment and everyone I've talked to thus far has been native to Georgia. Those 1,000 mile round-trip drives are starting to get exhausting, hopefully if I pass the oral board I can cram the rest of the hiring process into 1 final trip.

Forum Member

First things first. Congrats on passing the NREMT-P that's great man. And honestly it sounds like you are in a pretty good position. From what i understand they are separating it between those with medical training and those without, that is probably what the separate categories are about. I do not know the reason behind that though.

By the way, I agree with you man, those trips are pretty draining. I come up from Miami. You never realize how large Florida is until you drive through it.

When I spoke to them I heard they did away with oral interviews. I think the next step is IA interview and than polygraph now. Granted I could be wrong, 2tone would know more than anybody.

Forum Member

The Cobb County website still has the oral board listed as the 4th step in the hiring process, but I suppose it's possible that it was recently amended. I'm not a great interviewer so if it went straight to the IA interview that would be awesome.

2tone, any word on if the oral board is still currently part of the hiring process?

Forum Member

Anybody hear back yet? I think I'll be following up in another week or two if I don't hear anything before then.

Forum Member

I haven't heard anything yet. I would also wait another 2 weeks or so.

Thread Information