Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Clayton County (GA) Captain makes a grab...

Forum Member

Posted by Bobby....
    That is going to be my only comment.

The rookies need to know that everything we do in this job is a personal choice, and not a set in stone obligation. And it's perfectly acceptable to choose not to act.

Have fun with this thread.
    34 years as a volunteer.

Yup you're right .... I won't lift a finger unless I'm paid.
    Yes, he would.

As tragic and unfortunate as it would be, yes, he would.

Entering a structure alone without a handline, even if equipped with PPE and SCBA as this member apparently was, simply sets up an even worse situation as the first in engine may now have to rescue the original victim plus the member.

Simply not worth it.
    That's two more comments after you said you were done with the thread. Your word is worthless.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Entering a structure alone without a handline, even if equipped with PPE and SCBA as this member apparently was, simply sets up an even worse situation as the first in engine may now have to rescue the original victim plus the member.
    If this is what you truly believe, why do you go in to "observe fire conditions" by yourself without a line? Hypocrite much?
    Chenzo likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ToDaRoof View Post
    If this is what you truly believe, why do you go in to "observe fire conditions" by yourself without a line? Hypocrite much?
    MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. Going in 2'-3' with an engine and at least one other member on-scene, and possibly with a handline at the door.

Very different than no engine. No line. No other firefighters.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    You said you wouldn't act because you wouldn't be covered by Worker's Compensation, hence being paid if injured. Man, I love it when I can use your own words to shove it down your throat.
    Ya, you caught me.

Really it's more like ....... "without having to worry about my families needs being met".

Forum Member

MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. Going in 2'-3' with an engine and at least one other member on-scene, and possibly with a handline at the door.

Ahh, I see. Because you're the one doing it, that makes it acceptable, gotcha. Gotta look cool for that newspaper picture, after all.

Forum Member

Ya, you caught me.

Really it's more like ....... "without having to worry about my families needs being met".
    Why worry about your family's needs? You don't worry about anyone else's.

Forum Member

Now Bobby is 4 posts over his "last comment"....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

In the situation you spoke of you had no hoseline or back up firefighter. Try again.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Ya, you caught me.

Nope it is clearly you won't act unless there is compensation involved. Nice try.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Nope it is clearly you won't act unless there is compensation involved. Nice try.
    So please tell me then why I volunteered at 6 previous departments and 2 volunteer EMS agencies for $0 compensation, including my current VFD?

And yes, I have had two paid on call gigs as well.

Why do I teach extra classes at my current paid gig for no additional compensation? Why do I teach at other departments 3-6 times a month for $0 compensation.

In fact, those classes actually cost me money, as I am not reimbursed by the departments for fuel.

So do tell why oh great one.

Forum Member

And by the way ....

Medical bills and lost work time would be reimbursement, not compensation.

Forum Member

Five over the "last comment"
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

So please tell me then why I volunteered at 6 previous departments and 2 volunteer EMS agencies for $0 compensation, including my current VFD?

I am sure you had worker's comp.

Why do I teach extra classes at my current paid gig for no additional compensation? Why do I teach at other departments 3-6 times a month for $0 compensation.

Not even close to being the same as responding as a firefighter to an emergency or ignoring someone trapped in a burnng car while off duty.

In fact, those classes actually cost me money, as I am not reimbursed by the departments for fuel.

Good for you. Not my fault they figure you aren't even worth gas money. By the way, many firefighters do the same thing every day and don't look for an internet pat on the back for it.

Nope, I am not the Great One. I am just a firefighter that knows why I am one. Not for the shirt, not for the power, not for the titles, but to save lives and property. It is a shame that you don't and never will get it.
    Don't you ever get tired of being told how wrong you are?
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Done tooting your horn?
    Chenzo likes this.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I am sure you had worker's comp.

So workman's comp is compensation?

Having your medical bills, and in some states, lost wages, being covered in the event of an injury on the fireground as a volunteer is your idea of compensation? In most states it's the law.

Interesting.

I wish i had known that. I probably could have gotten rich off of it.

Not even close to being the same as responding as a firefighter to an emergency or ignoring someone trapped in a burnng car while off duty.

True, but it ties into "I won't doing anything unless I'm compensated".

The funny thing is that i can never remember not stopping at an MVA that looked like there were injuries if EMS wasn't on-scene. i even remember stopping at several vehicle fires before the rural FD arrived and several other where the rural FD was on-scene and appeared shorthanded. I don't have enough fingers to recall the number of times I have rendered medical aid on airplanes, in airports, at Yankee Staduim and a whole bunch of other places before EMS arrived.

So I guess that blows your story to hell.

Good for you. Not my fault they figure you aren't even worth gas money. By the way, many firefighters do the same thing every day and don't look for an internet pat on the back for it.

I don't ask for it. I just do it.

You were the one that brought up the "without compensation" issue.

Nope, I am not the Great One. I am just a firefighter that knows why I am one. Not for the shirt, not for the power, not for the titles, but to save lives and property. It is a shame that you don't and never will get it.

Funny thing I that I do. but I will not take risks to attempt to save non-viable (and yes, we are trained to make that judgement) lives and property at the cost of myself and my firefighters lives and my firefighter's responsibilities regarding their families.

We are the priority. The days of firefighters making the ultimate sacrifice should be over, unless it's for highly viable life.

We should never die for property. Nor should we be put in that position. Never.

Don't you ever get tired of being told how wrong you are?

Funny thing is that I'm not wrong.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Done tooting your horn?
    Your buddy Fryed brought up the charge that I don't do a damn thing unless compensated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Five over the "last comment"
    Here's the deal.

No more references to me or comments about me and I'll stop commenting.

Forum Member

Six over the "last comment you would make on the post"...
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

So captnjak, captain or not, who is a big city firefighter or not, is every comment you post directed AT someone?

Frankly, you seem to have had a hard on for me since you got here. Enjoy. If you want to defend the idiocy that is LA go right ahead. But your dumb azz implication that my post above is about LA is just ridiculous and not true.
    Gee, why would I (or anyone) think the comment was directed at LAFE? Could it be the gozillion times you've directed comments at him in the past? My implication may be wrong but it is NOT ridiculous. I bet others thought the same thing.

I DO NOT have a hard on for you. Your attacks on me and my department far outweigh mine on you or your department. Actually, I've never attacked your department. I've also posted positive responses to posts of yours in the past.

I'm not sure why you are so concerned with my rank or department. I prefer to be judged by all members of this forum on the contents of my posts. Members will either agree or disagree, respect my opinions or not. No pre-formed opinions based on rank and department.

I do not defend idiocy by LAFE, or anyone else for that matter. I've posted several times in opposition to him.

Forum Member

Double Post.
    Last edited by captnjak; 07-08-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Forum Member

He chose to make it his problem. I hope I would have the courage to make it my problem too.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

So if I did my math correctly, you've been with 12 agencies total. Around my neck of the woods, we have a word for department hoppers: worthless.

Forum Member

Here's the deal.

No more references to me or comments about me and I'll stop commenting.
    Does this apply only to this thread or to the whole board? If it applies to the board, I'll forget you ever existed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ToDaRoof View Post
    So if I did my math correctly, you've been with 12 agencies total. Around my neck of the woods, we have a word for department hoppers: worthless.
    6 plus 2 plus 2 = 10.

Plus my current gig = 11

Now .....

I was with my college fire department and my college rescue squad at the same time.

I was with a suburban department outside of my home and ran with them when I was home from college and then for a short time after college.

I was with a VFD and the town's rescue squad at the same time.

And there were a couple of departments I was on with short-term as I moved around a couple of different places after college as well.

And I am currently with my combo department and my VFD at the same time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by captnjak View Post
    I'm not sure why you are so concerned with my rank or department. I prefer to be judged by all members of this forum on the contents of my posts. Members will either agree or disagree, respect my opinions or not. No pre-formed opinions based on rank and department.
    You say you want to be judged by your content, without regard for your rank. But your username clearly includes the abbreviation for "captain".

It appears to me you want to get credibility from an implied rank that you've never stated you have. You just want to call yourself captain, then not discuss whether you really are one or not.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Thread Information