Forum Member

Default Baofeng UV-5R Dual-Band Portable

Hey Guys,
    My dept just ordered/bought 5 Baofeng UV-5R portables off of ebay, and they came at a pretty good price. it is FCC Type 90 certified, and VHF/UHFdual band. its only $35 bucks, and for the price, it looks like a nice unit, and i was considering buying one for myself. but, before i did, i wanted too see if and other depts or firefighters across the country are using this unit for a fire portable. im only a cadet, and i wont be up close and personal with the fire, but it still says in the dept by-laws that cadets need a radio, and its a good idea for anyone on an active fireground/scene to be able to contact IC at anytime. so, if anyone uses/has/knows if it is good for emergency use, lemme know if you would.
    Thanks,
    SLVFD15C2

Let's talk fire trucks!

Go over to radioreference.com and check out some of the comments on this radio in the forums.

I know I wouldn't trust my safety or reliable communications to a $35 radio, however.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

most reviews are actually quite good......only consistent con would be comments regarding difficulties manually programming.......appears to be a good back-up or 'car stash' radio, but if your department requires radios, then why are they not supplying it to you??!! As noted above, I carry my issue radio and have great confidence it'll work for me when I need it most. I don't have that same level of confidence in a 'throw-away'.

Forum Member

There's a few local volly depts around where I live that have used them and I have heard all good things about them..but like what was said above..if you do alot of interior attack, I wouldnt be able to rest easy with that strapped to me..gotta go with something a little more well known and proven.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Why do cadets/juniors/explorers come on here and ask about radios and pagers and other equipment that their FD should be supplying them? If this cadet is supposed to have a radio by department policy then they should issue him one.

Further, I still am of the opinion they have no business on an emergency scene, but if they are there most assuredly they need to be under the DIRECT supervision of a full firefighter, with a radio. So once again, why would a cadet need a radio?

Frankly, I think this is just more I want to be cool and have my own radio nonsense.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 07-12-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: typos
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Thread Information