Like Tree30Likes

Thread: City of Philadelphia- Winter 2013

Forum Member

Check your inboxes stogie and redrick

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stogie81 View Post
    I didn't think AFC was worth what you pay. I was paying $40.00 a month and if I wanted to or was able to pay that I would go to the new LA fitness. I was looking at the planet fitness and the world gym by target. Thanks for your suggestion ffwife83!
    Planet Fitness on the BLVD is like 10 a month. My wife goes there and likes it. LA fitness on Grant is 30 a month. I just switched there because they have a pool.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Upsidedown View Post
    Planet Fitness on the BLVD is like 10 a month. My wife goes there and likes it. LA fitness on Grant is 30 a month. I just switched there because they have a pool.
    That's the whole reason I'm at AFC, I needed a pool and the therapy pool.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stogie81 View Post
    Not sure but that sounds weird, especially if you have cert from the state fire commissioners office. Good luck!
    yeah it just doesnt make sense to me that they wont accept either cert. im hoping to hear back from HR soon. i emailed them immediately after receiving my results.

Forum Member

has anyone who is appealing their rank/score heard anything back yet? i emailed the person listed in the email that our results were in literally minutes after receiving the results, but havent heard back yet. with three weeks left to appeal, i want to get this straightened out ASAP. not sure if there is another route i could/should go as far as appealing the results.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billyblooshoes View Post
    has anyone who is appealing their rank/score heard anything back yet? i emailed the person listed in the email that our results were in literally minutes after receiving the results, but havent heard back yet. with three weeks left to appeal, i want to get this straightened out ASAP. not sure if there is another route i could/should go as far as appealing the results.
    I emailed him around the same time just to ask if in short, the deadline on the initial job advertisement meant anything at all, and to get a clear answer to if you can submit any more certs for points. I haven't heard back from him/her/it/organization/illuminati.
    billyblooshoes likes this.

Shawshank

I did talk to Mr. Bertal over the phone on Wednesday morning. He looked at my certs and said I did not receive points because they were not PA certs. I explained to him that they were national IFSAC/Proboard certs, as well as explaining my VA emt cert is to the same national DOT standard that PA is.. He said he would have to check with the fire department to see if they were going to accept them. He also asked me to email him that information I explained to him over the phone. I have yet to hear back from him. I will try to follow up Monday morning.
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    I did talk to Mr. Bertal over the phone on Wednesday morning. He looked at my certs and said I did not receive points because they were not PA certs. I explained to him that they were national IFSAC/Proboard certs, as well as explaining my VA emt cert is to the same national DOT standard that PA is.. He said he would have to check with the fire department to see if they were going to accept them. He also asked me to email him that information I explained to him over the phone. I have yet to hear back from him. I will try to follow up Monday morning.
    could you private message me the phone number you reached him at please?

Forum Member

I called Natalie Cox (Cox handles extra points and preferences) and Mr. Bertal, but was able to get in touch with Natalie before Hamid. My question for her was about my bilingual rank status still "in scoring" and when that would be resolved. She informed me that they were trying to resolve the issue by the end of this past week, but of course, its still in scoring.

Just let me know how everything works out for you guys. I really hope we can all make it in with the next class.

Thanks guys!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyBred View Post
    I called Natalie Cox (Cox handles extra points and preferences) and Mr. Bertal, but was able to get in touch with Natalie before Hamid. My question for her was about my bilingual rank status still "in scoring" and when that would be resolved. She informed me that they were trying to resolve the issue by the end of this past week, but of course, its still in scoring.

Just let me know how everything works out for you guys. I really hope we can all make it in with the next class.

Thanks guys!
    can you send me her contact info?

Shawshank

could you private message me the phone number you reached him at please?
    I sent you a pm. Are you messages turned on?
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

Forum Member

just replied.

Forum Member

billyblooshoes-

RIGHT FOOKING NOW. DO NOT WAIT. GET A PHYSICAL MAILING ADDRESS For these people- I assume it's going to be the MSB on JFK Blvd. Get the address ASAP as in right fooking now, and then run your azz off to the post office, and mail them copies of your certificates from Bucks and Pa. BY REGISTERED MAIL/RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED.

RIGHT THE HELL NOW.

That way you will have PROOF that they received a copy of your appeal and the certs before that three week window closes.

This goes for everyone.......Remember if you have a signed and return postmarked green USPS RETURN RECEIPT in your hands, THEY CANNOT SAY THEY NEVER GOT IT.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    billyblooshoes-

RIGHT FOOKING NOW. DO NOT WAIT. GET A PHYSICAL MAILING ADDRESS For these people- I assume it's going to be the MSB on JFK Blvd. Get the address ASAP as in right fooking now, and then run your azz off to the post office, and mail them copies of your certificates from Bucks and Pa. BY REGISTERED MAIL/RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED.

RIGHT THE HELL NOW.

That way you will have PROOF that they received a copy of your appeal and the certs before that three week window closes.

This goes for everyone.......Remember if you have a signed and return postmarked green USPS RETURN RECEIPT in your hands, THEY CANNOT SAY THEY NEVER GOT IT.
    roger that. i was figuring this would be my next course of action, as in tomorrow. hopefully i can get a hold of someone over the phone as well as have proof of mailing them copies of my cert.

does anyone know if an official appeal form exists that i should be including? obviously the email didnt include one. also, if anyone happens to have an address laying around that i should send my cert to, let me know. i will start looking now. thanks to those of you who have replied and PM'd me thus far to help me get this straightened out. i want this job more than anything and i feel like this is make or break.

Forum Member

here is the address from the original job posting in regards to sending in certs in case anyone else is in need of it:

City of Philadelphia
    Office of Human Resources
    1401 J.F. Kennedy Boulevard, Room 1530
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    Attention: Hamid Bertal

Forum Member

here is the address from the original job posting in regards to sending in certs in case anyone else is in need of it:

City of Philadelphia
    Office of Human Resources
    1401 J.F. Kennedy Boulevard, Room 1530
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    Attention: Hamid Bertal
    Hey, I just called the cities HR customer service line. But I think it would be more effective if you mailed your cert copies in and called.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Hey everyone.just joined, im 120 on the list!!..i heard through the great vine that they want to push two classes through either in july or September. Anybody hear any different?

Forum Member

Also..if you are trying to email hamid bertal, the email link that is provided in the email is incomplete its either hamid.bertal@phila.gov or hamidbertal@phila.gov

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by drew31 View Post
    Hey everyone.just joined, im 120 on the list!!..i heard through the great vine that they want to push two classes through either in july or September. Anybody hear any different?
    I haven't heard a specific month but "sometime this summer". If you've heard July, then odds are it will probably not start until August or early September.

Forum Member

Has anyone else heard the rumor that one class will be all vets from a source other than here ? I saw it mentioned here before but was wondering if anyone else could confirm. Also anyone know how many vets they processed last time around ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by somebuffyguy View Post
    Has anyone else heard the rumor that one class will be all vets from a source other than here ? I saw it mentioned here before but was wondering if anyone else could confirm. Also anyone know how many vets they processed last time around ?
    They received funding from the gov to put through an entire class (80) of vets last time around. We haven't heard anything but if the funding is there they will put vets through first.

Forum Member

so i finally heard back from hamid bertal regarding my PA FF1 Cert not being accepted. here is the reply i received:

Dear Candidate,
    According to the announcement of Firefighter Exam (6B01-20130722-OC-01):
    “Additional points will be added to the examination score of any candidate who has passed the open competitive examination and who is currently certified as a /an :

• Firefighter 1 by the Office of the State Fire Commissioner of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; AND / OR
    • Emergency Medical Technician (Basic or Paramedic) by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania”

In your case your documentation was not certified by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
    Let me know if you have additional questions.

here is my issue...my FF1 Cert was issued by Bucks County Community College and the Pennsylvania State Fire Academy. It has a crest/seal on it with the wording "Office of the State Fire Commissioner" and "Pennsylvania". is that not exactly what they are looking for? i emailed him back attempting to explain this. what does everyone else think about this? i hate to come off the wrong way, but this is a big deal to me.

Forum Member

Ff 1 certs in PA dont expire correct?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by drew31 View Post
    Ff 1 certs in PA dont expire correct?
    not as far as i know.

Forum Member

so i finally heard back from hamid bertal regarding my PA FF1 Cert not being accepted. here is the reply i received:

Dear Candidate,
    According to the announcement of Firefighter Exam (6B01-20130722-OC-01):
    “Additional points will be added to the examination score of any candidate who has passed the open competitive examination and who is currently certified as a /an :

• Firefighter 1 by the Office of the State Fire Commissioner of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; AND / OR
    • Emergency Medical Technician (Basic or Paramedic) by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania”

In your case your documentation was not certified by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
    Let me know if you have additional questions.

here is my issue...my FF1 Cert was issued by Bucks County Community College and the Pennsylvania State Fire Academy. It has a crest/seal on it with the wording "Office of the State Fire Commissioner" and "Pennsylvania". is that not exactly what they are looking for? i emailed him back attempting to explain this. what does everyone else think about this? i hate to come off the wrong way, but this is a big deal to me.
    Of course it's a big deal, it can mean additional points which can bump you up on the list by potentially hundreds of spots. I would absolutely fight this!!! Make a photocopy of your cert, and circle the Pa Seal in red ink. Then scan it, and send a polite email to this guy with a politely worded appeal. Do not be emotional, stick to the facts. Mention that Bucks County is an adjunct facility of the State of Pennsylvania Fire Academy, and that their seal being on the cert should be proof thereof. Circulate the email to the State Fire Commissioner's Office, and tell the clown at Philly that you are CC'ing the State Fire Commissioner's Office (so that he knows you are not blowing smoke up his ***.)

Then follow it up with a written letter to the same guy- sent of course by certified mail/return receipt. Send a copy by standard first-class postage to the State Fire Commissioner's Office. Even if you get an email reply from the guy saying "OK, We'll accept it" send a written by registered mail. And ALWAYS GET AN ANSWER IN WRITING BY LETTER IF YOU CAN. Save email responses, but get it in writing by letter if possible.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information