Like Tree30Likes

Thread: City of Philadelphia- Winter 2013

Forum Member

Boys and girls, if I have said this once, I have said it 653,490 times....whenever dealing with the City of Philadelphia office of Human Resources, and sending them copies of certifications or other important documents that pertain to you potentially getting hired, I cannot stress enough the importance of sending them by REGISTERED MAIL-RETURN RECEIPT, especially when you are dealing with a deadline. It is absolutely, positively legally undeniable proof that they have received the documents which you sent to them. Kids, while you may think that printouts of your emails may be cute and make you feel all warm and fuzzy, they are not readily accepted by most courts of law as evidence of delivery. So get off your asses, learn where the local Post Office is located, give up a couple of your cups of Starbucks (a one-ounce registered letter with a return receipt costs $6.11) and send that stuff the proper way. That way, when the City says "we never got that" you can say "Uh, yes you did, a Mister So and So signed for it at 11:23am on March 3, 2014."
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billyblooshoes View Post
    so i finally heard back from hamid bertal regarding my PA FF1 Cert not being accepted. here is the reply i received:

Dear Candidate,
    According to the announcement of Firefighter Exam (6B01-20130722-OC-01):
    “Additional points will be added to the examination score of any candidate who has passed the open competitive examination and who is currently certified as a /an :

• Firefighter 1 by the Office of the State Fire Commissioner of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; AND / OR
    • Emergency Medical Technician (Basic or Paramedic) by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania”

In your case your documentation was not certified by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
    Let me know if you have additional questions.

here is my issue...my FF1 Cert was issued by Bucks County Community College and the Pennsylvania State Fire Academy. It has a crest/seal on it with the wording "Office of the State Fire Commissioner" and "Pennsylvania". is that not exactly what they are looking for? i emailed him back attempting to explain this. what does everyone else think about this? i hate to come off the wrong way, but this is a big deal to me.
    Human resources isn't the brightest bunch. When my husband applied for the police exam it took talking to 4 separate people before one of them as able to read his DD214 correctly and realize he was eligible to take the exam.

Forum Member

i just got off the phone with Mr. Bertal. I explained to him that in his email he stated that my certification was not certified by the state fire commissioners office, and that he was inccorect as my certificate has the seal of the PA state fire commissioners office on it, and it is titled as being issue by the PA State Fire Academy. He seemed genuinely confused as to why it was not accepted, and he asked me if i attempted to turn the cert in in person, which i told him that i had. i also told him that the woman who was collecting certificates told me both at the mini-academy and at the day of the test that she thought my certificate would not be acceptable and she attempted to hand it back to me. day of the test i had to talk her in to just taking it and putting it in the pile anyway. Mr. Bertal seemed confused by this as they are not supposed to make decisions of acceptance on the spot like that etc etc.

He asked me to scan it and email it back to him, which i am going to do. i am also going to send him a paper copy via certified mail with signature required to cover my ***, with a letter just as FWDBuff has suggested.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this gets straightened out.

Shawshank

Quote Originally Posted by billyblooshoes View Post
    i just got off the phone with Mr. Bertal. I explained to him that in his email he stated that my certification was not certified by the state fire commissioners office, and that he was inccorect as my certificate has the seal of the PA state fire commissioners office on it, and it is titled as being issue by the PA State Fire Academy. He seemed genuinely confused as to why it was not accepted, and he asked me if i attempted to turn the cert in in person, which i told him that i had. i also told him that the woman who was collecting certificates told me both at the mini-academy and at the day of the test that she thought my certificate would not be acceptable and she attempted to hand it back to me. day of the test i had to talk her in to just taking it and putting it in the pile anyway. Mr. Bertal seemed confused by this as they are not supposed to make decisions of acceptance on the spot like that etc etc.

He asked me to scan it and email it back to him, which i am going to do. i am also going to send him a paper copy via certified mail with signature required to cover my ***, with a letter just as FWDBuff has suggested.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this gets straightened out.
    Did you apply in person? If you applied online you should already have that document uploaded and attached to your application.
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

Shawshank

Quote Originally Posted by drew31 View Post
    Also..if you are trying to email hamid bertal, the email link that is provided in the email is incomplete its either hamid.bertal@phila.gov or hamidbertal@phila.gov
    Drew just curious did you receive extra points or did you get that rank with just a 100?

Shawshank

Quote Originally Posted by drew31 View Post
    Hey everyone.just joined, im 120 on the list!!..i heard through the great vine that they want to push two classes through either in july or September. Anybody hear any different?
    sorry quoted the wrong post. This is what I meant to quote.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    sorry quoted the wrong post. This is what I meant to quote.
    The first 100 is in the 190's, 193 or 194. Anyone above has extra points

Forum Member

Anyone have an idea of how many classes they are looking at off this list? Doubled up or single?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EC512 View Post
    Anyone have an idea of how many classes they are looking at off this list? Doubled up or single?
    It's all rumors at this point, but the majority is saying doubled up. One of vets, one of average joe's.

Forum Member

The WSI was the "Meat -and-potato's" of your ranking. The vendor who administers the WSI has collected statistics over the past couple of decades about FF's work performance and how they answered the WSI. The answers that the high performing FF gave, are the questions worth the most points etc...thats how they grade u. Best answer was worth 4 points worst answer -2. Dont quote me on that though. I

Forum Member

Anybody know if there is an actually list we can look at yet?

Forum Member

Did you apply in person? If you applied online you should already have that document uploaded and attached to your application.
    i applied online but only submitted my cert in person. i attempted at the mini-academy and the day of testing.

Forum Member

Basically your right but the point range was in increments of 3 from -12 all the way to 12.
    Last edited by Stogie81; 03-05-2014 at 07:36 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phila Fire Test 2013 View Post
    Anybody know if there is an actually list we can look at yet?
    I don't think we'll get that until everything is done and revised. I have yet to even get my Bilingual ranking.

I talked to HR today and said it Sox probably be another month before I got it. So, I'm thinking we'll get a revision within 4-6 weeks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyBred View Post
    I don't think we'll get that until everything is done and revised. I have yet to even get my Bilingual ranking.

I talked to HR today and said it Sox probably be another month before I got it. So, I'm thinking we'll get a revision within 4-6 weeks.
    If I remember correctly I don't think we got one last time. We probably will never get one directly. I don't think it is exactly a secret it is just not advertised to the public.

Forum Member

Private message me, for some reason it's not letting me message you from my phone

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stogie81 View Post
    If I remember correctly I don't think we got one last time. We probably will never get one directly. I don't think it is exactly a secret it is just not advertised to the public.
    Anyone that has a friend on the department can get it....I got my husbands ranking from another firefighter before he even got his email.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stogie81 View Post
    Got the bilingual ranking?

Forum Member

Got the bilingual ranking?
    i think hes referring to the ranking list.

Forum Member

Somebody posted the list last time from the unions website....if im correct?

Forum Member

Oh okay, Thanks.

Forum Member

Yes, someone did.

Shawshank

Has anyone had any luck getting their extra points? Particulary candidates with national IFSAC/Proboard FF1 certs and or out of PA EMT???? Playing email and phone tag with this Mr. Bertal is like pulling teeth. Its almost time to go over his head and fight for these points. I can't take no for an answer.

Forum Member

Has anyone had any luck getting their extra points? Particulary candidates with national IFSAC/Proboard FF1 certs and or out of PA EMT???? Playing email and phone tag with this Mr. Bertal is like pulling teeth. Its almost time to go over his head and fight for these points. I can't take no for an answer.
    as per my last big post, talked to him on the phone the other day. i emailed him a PDF of my cert with a nice letter outlining my plight, and i also mailed him a copy of my cert along with a letter i wrote. USPS registered mail, return receipt, signature request, the whole thing. just waiting to hear back now. i have PA FF1, theres no reason i shouldnt get the points. good luck with yours!
    Last edited by billyblooshoes; 03-05-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Forum Member

well i heard back from mr. bertal today. he informed me that NOW the reason they are not accepting my certificate is because it says PA Essentials of Firefighting, not FF1. i immediately contacted the county emergency services training center, and they hooked me up with a form for the state fire commissioners office to apply for a reciprocity certificate. i called the state commissioners office, and spoke to a nice lady who understood the urgency of my situation. she said for me to mail the form in with proof of my IFSAC cert and a check for the fee and once they got it there would be a one to two day turn around. once i get the new certificate from the state, hamid bertal will get an email from me with the certificate attached as well as a paper copy by certified mail, return service, etc.

this is my last resort i think. im pretty sure ive covered all my options at this point.

Thread Information