Like Tree26Likes

Thread: City of Philadelphia- Winter 2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billyblooshoes View Post
    well i heard back from mr. bertal today. he informed me that NOW the reason they are not accepting my certificate is because it says PA Essentials of Firefighting, not FF1. i immediately contacted the county emergency services training center, and they hooked me up with a form for the state fire commissioners office to apply for a reciprocity certificate. i called the state commissioners office, and spoke to a nice lady who understood the urgency of my situation. she said for me to mail the form in with proof of my IFSAC cert and a check for the fee and once they got it there would be a one to two day turn around. once i get the new certificate from the state, hamid bertal will get an email from me with the certificate attached as well as a paper copy by certified mail, return service, etc.

this is my last resort i think. im pretty sure ive covered all my options at this point.
    Wow. After all that huh? I hope everything works out for you.

Keep us updated. Good luck!

Forum Member

Any new "news" out here? Quite last couple days..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phila Fire Test 2013 View Post
    Any new "news" out here? Quite last couple days..
    Nothing. There isn't going to be anything to say that's actually confirmed until at least the 21st, when the 30 days from the results that went out has passed, and that's being optimistic. People will submit their cert's up until the final day, and then, you have to look at the fact that the 21st is on a Friday, so the office will be off that makes the lists because of the weekend. So I expect a new list if they work quickly, at the least not until the following Friday.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redrick View Post
    Nothing. There isn't going to be anything to say that's actually confirmed until at least the 21st, when the 30 days from the results that went out has passed, and that's being optimistic. People will submit their cert's up until the final day, and then, you have to look at the fact that the 21st is on a Friday, so the office will be off that makes the lists because of the weekend. So I expect a new list if they work quickly, at the least not until the following Friday.
    Pretty much... I called Natalie Cox office last week and she basically told me not to call back for a month. Lol. We'll get a revised list when we get one.

For now, I'm just hitting the gym after my classes.
    Redrick likes this.

Forum Member

Hi Billy, do you still have the phone number for the commissioners office and the name of who you talked to? I am in the same boat as you are. When I sent mr.bertal my certification he said the same thing, that I do not get points because it does not say "firefighter1" on the certificate. my score was not that great and the points would help

Forum Member

NOTE TO ALL: It has been alleged by those in the know that the City Dept of Personnel has been told to do things by the "letter of the regulation" regarding the certificate for Firefighter I- in the hopes that they will delay you guys as much as possible with the eventual dismissing of your chances at the extra points all together. The reason? To push through as many City Applicants as possible that have the FF1 Cert from the technical high school (being attended primarily by members of the "preferred demographic") that is offering the Firefighter I certification.

So do what you need to do as fast as you need to do it to get your Firefighter I certification in. Remember to send any documents by CERTIFIED MAIL/RETURN RECEIPT!!!!!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

hey sorry just noticed your post. the person i called is tracie brungard and her number is 717-247-3743. you need to go on the PA fire commissioners office website and download the reciprocity certificate application form and follow the directions regarding that.

Forum Member

finally some good news. just got off the phone with the PA fire commissioners office and they informed me that they sent out my PA reciprocity certificate yesterday and i should have it by the end of the week! its cutting it close, but this should FINALLY get me the two points for FF1.
    PhillyBred likes this.

Forum Member

got my brand spanking new FF1 Cert in the mail today from the PA commissioners office. off mr. bertal it goes!
    Redrick and PhillyBred like this.

Forum Member

great news. just got off the phone with hamid bertal. i called to check and see if he had gotten my email with my new certificate and/or the copy i mailed him. he took a look at his email, found it, and let me know that it looked good and he would email me back letting me know that i would be getting the extra points. im so relieved. additionally, i asked about the new list, and he said the new list would be out in three weeks.

Forum Member

So give or take, were looking around april 4th for the revised list...

Forum Member

he said three weeks, but im assuming its three weeks from this friday, which is the deadline for appeals. that would make the potential date for the new list to be april 11.

Forum Member

he said three weeks, but im assuming its three weeks from this friday, which is the deadline for appeals. that would make the potential date for the new list to be april 11.
    Just a waiting game now.

Thanks a lot! I'm glad you got your extra points that you deserved.

Forum Member

thanks, im glad it finally worked out too. it really came down to the wire...

Shawshank

I also got confirmation for my 2 points for my FF1 cert. As far as my emt, the state office of ems lost my application and screwed me out of 3 points. Oh well I am thankful for the 2.
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

Forum Member

Good job to both of you. I can tell you with full honesty, that without our EMT's and FFI's that we would no doubt be in the thousands with no chance of being hired. Give or take a few months, should we get letters to report to the academy, I say assuming we near Philly, we all head out for a beer to celebrate our success thus far. Figure it'd be better to go into the academy with some sort of friendship/acquaintance , as opposed to going in blind.
    billyblooshoes likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redrick View Post
    Good job to both of you. I can tell you with full honesty, that without our EMT's and FFI's that we would no doubt be in the thousands with no chance of being hired. Give or take a few months, should we get letters to report to the academy, I say assuming we near Philly, we all head out for a beer to celebrate our success thus far. Figure it'd be better to go into the academy with some sort of friendship/acquaintance , as opposed to going in blind.
    Better odds this time around I guess being that there is 900 less people on the list this time.

Forum Member

Original eligible list from the union's web site.. This is not the revised list... Just thought you might want to check it out...

http://www.iaff22.org/images/shared/...0722-OC-01.pdf
    billyblooshoes likes this.

Forum Member

Wow so only 1,200 even passed the test

Forum Member

anyone have any more recent word as to how many are getting hired this time around? i keep hearing different things.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by somebuffyguy View Post
    Wow so only 1,200 even passed the test
    2175 made the list on the last test. wonder why the diference.

anyone have any more recent word as to how many are getting hired this time around? i keep hearing different things.
    what have you hear d?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PFD188Hopeful View Post
    2175 made the list on the last test. wonder why the diference.

what have you hear d?
    initially i heard around 180-200. more recently i heard 250ish. i heard someone mention 400 once but that seems pretty high.

Forum Member

Is there a bilingual list?

Shawshank

Once the list is revised with changes in points, will the numbers be scrambled again or do they just plop those candidates with new extra points at the bottom ranks for their new score?

Shawshank

Also looking at that list, the guy on top has a 120. It says he does not have legacy points and has vet points. I'm assuming he is also a paramedic with FF1. My math only adds up to 117 though. Did they give him 3 points for emt as well as his 10 paramedic points? Not that it really matters but i'm curious.

Thread Information