Like Tree26Likes

Thread: City of Philadelphia- Winter 2013

Forum Member

I also don't have the link

Forum Member

Yeah. I only read the email last night. When I tried to actually find the link this morning it wasn't there. Par for the course.

Forum Member

seems like you guys are in for a long process
    Last edited by thedig423; 08-28-2014 at 12:07 AM.

Forum Member

I did some research and discovered which study guide they use and just downloaded it. Apparently you can pick up a hard copy in any library as well. Maybe you guys can try those options?

Forum Member

Also, does anyone have any info on classes? Do they even intend to hire off of this list?

Forum Member

Is this the same one from the last test? It looks like it. I can't remember.

Forum Member

In the last thread, the WSI (human relations portion/personality) was apparently scored (according to people who went through the mini-academy) in the regard of there is 4 answers
    Strongly Agree
    Somewhat Agree
    Somewhat disagree
    Strongly Disagree

One of the above answers nails you 4+ points, one nails you +2 points, another kills you -2, and the worst chosen answer kills you at -4 points. I hope it's not true, but if It's the same setup I can't imagine why it would be different.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redrick View Post
    In the last thread, the WSI (human relations portion/personality) was apparently scored (according to people who went through the mini-academy) in the regard of there is 4 answers
    Strongly Agree
    Somewhat Agree
    Somewhat disagree
    Strongly Disagree

One of the above answers nails you 4+ points, one nails you +2 points, another kills you -2, and the worst chosen answer kills you at -4 points. I hope it's not true, but if It's the same setup I can't imagine why it would be different.
    So basically FDNY exam redux, minus the fact they have a point answer next to it rather than say its full credit or part credit.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    So basically FDNY exam redux, minus the fact they have a point answer next to it rather than say its full credit or part credit.
    No idea pal, this will be my first test. I found a practice thing specifically geared toward the Philly exam (both the fire knowledge and the personality bit) , costs a few dollars but I think I'll purchase it. If anyone is interested pm me, I'll give a link.

Forum Member

No idea pal, this will be my first test. I found a practice thing specifically geared toward the Philly exam (both the fire knowledge and the personality bit) , costs a few dollars but I think I'll purchase it. If anyone is interested pm me, I'll give a link.
    I thought the test was based off the manual they sent us, what else does this study guide give that'd be an advantage ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by somebuffyguy View Post
    I thought the test was based off the manual they sent us, what else does this study guide give that'd be an advantage ?
    It says that it has over 600 questions from the 9th edition (the one we are being tested from) to practice with. So instead of just the 50 practice test questions, we'll get a feel for what questions will be asked that aren't on the practice test. Then it says it comes with 100 question questionnaire or whatever specifically geared toward the WSI bit that we have to take. I'll be the guinea pig, I get paid in a few days, figure I can throw a few dollars about.

Forum Member

This isn't the Don Mcnea program is it ? I've heard mixed reviews about it on this website. Apparently its the same generic questions packaged as being specifically for one department. Don't mean to sound cynical, just skeptical when it comes to spending money. Let us know if you like it, good luck !

Forum Member

It says that it has over 600 questions from the 9th edition (the one we are being tested from) to practice with. So instead of just the 50 practice test questions, we'll get a feel for what questions will be asked that aren't on the practice test. Then it says it comes with 100 question questionnaire or whatever specifically geared toward the WSI bit that we have to take. I'll be the guinea pig, I get paid in a few days, figure I can throw a few dollars about.
    Are you able to post the link to the site that has the book?

Forum Member

Yeah it's the Don Mcnea thing, I figure if I got the money spend I'd see what happens. Worst case scenario I'm out like $40. And phop, let me see if I can. I only said for people to pm about it, because I thought you couldn't based on the threads I've seen around here.

http://www.fireprep.com/philadelphia...hter_exam.html

Edit: Look at that haha

Forum Member

FYI guys, i just got word from a buddy of mine that there will be a total of 136 slots open for this next cycle. from what i understand, there are 62 slots open for year 2013, and then 74 more will be added because of retirements as of january first.

Forum Member

also just got the email today regarding the mini-academy. im planning on going. anyone else?

Forum Member

Yeah, I got that email too. Oct 26. Im in the am session. I wonder which list that next cycle is going to come off.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Upsidedown View Post
    Yeah, I got that email too. Oct 26. Im in the am session. I wonder which list that next cycle is going to come off.
    im in the AM also. are you going?

Forum Member

Last edited by thedig423; 08-28-2014 at 12:06 AM. Reason: irrelevant

Forum Member

I've got the 12:30pm email. I thought I remembered being told that the next cycle will be from the Nov 16th 2013 test we are taking.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billyblooshoes View Post
    im in the AM also. are you going?
    Most likely. I went last time. I'm assuming it will be the same thing, but I still think I should go.

Forum Member

What exactly is the mini-academy? Do they just go over how the test works and what to expect?

Forum Member

An update on that study guide I posted. Seems legit enough, the gold package comes with 600 questions, 100 for each section. Found myself missing a few items, so I'll start studying off of this as well. The WSI study guide that comes with it is 100 questions. It doesn't give you answers, except on ones that should be answered with strongly agree, and strongly disagree. The other ones that are not labeled like that are up for you to answer, virtually all the questions I see are common sense if you go in with a team oriented, social butterfly, accepting of others, mindset.
    billyblooshoes likes this.

Forum Member

Does this guide pertain to the Philly study guide ? As I understood it, the test was supposed to be entirely based on the info in the guide. The WSI sounds helpful though.

Forum Member

who all is going to mini academy this weekend?

Thread Information