Like Tree30Likes

Thread: City of Philadelphia- Winter 2013

Shawshank

I called the number today listed on the above post. I talked to Mr. Starling who wasn't much help in any information other than he states there will be another test in November. I told him I was confused as to why the city would host another test in November when the city had just had one the year previous with no candidates hired off of it. He was unaware of the new eligibility list and was able to give me a phone number to a lieutenant in recruiting. I called and left a message with no return call as of yet.

Forum Member

Let me start off by saying I have no more information on this than anyone, so I could be wrong. What I've figured out here is through simple common sense.

This testing in November sounds like malarkey. The 2013 test was announced on 7/22/13 and applications closed 8/23/13. So we're already two months behind and counting with no notice so far. The listing says we will be contacted two weeks before the test, so if it were posted tomorrow they'd have one month for everyone to apply and a test to be set up. Currently on the Philadelphia HR page has a job interest form the the 2015 test posted.

The "Military Career Advancement Project" also sounds like a load of crap itself. As a veterans myself, I've never heard of this group before. Its website is a poorly put together WordPress site. The number listed and this Mr Starling character seem to have no affiliation with the City of Philadelphia.

Most likely I think this is just a mistake, the posting states 2015 repeatedly before saying this November. Unless someone has some better evidence- or a job posting comes out very soon, I'm not buying into this.

Forum Member

Well there is some good news. It seems you are right about the website having the wrong information. I was able to get a hold of someone in the HR department. They confirmed that there is no schedule test for anytime in November (11/2014). Unfortunately they could not tell me when they would start pulling names off the list for hire either. I just hope the list don't expire before they decided to start hiring.

Shawshank

Quote Originally Posted by saturn View Post
    Well there is some good news. It seems you are right about the website having the wrong information. I was able to get a hold of someone in the HR department. They confirmed that there is no schedule test for anytime in November (11/2014). Unfortunately they could not tell me when they would start pulling names off the list for hire either. I just hope the list don't expire before they decided to start hiring.
    The 2 year time on the list does not start until the first candidates are canvassed for hire. Essentially making all this time we have been waiting, "free time" if you will. So that's the information that has been said on this thread anyway.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Did anybody from out of state manage to get extra points for FF1 or EMT ? I'm already looking at 2015.

Shawshank

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I figure I'd give the thread a bump since it has been idle for months and has fallen back to the 5th page. Any new rumors or info out there?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving to all! I figure I'd give the thread a bump since it has been idle for months and has fallen back to the 5th page. Any new rumors or info out there?
    Did a ride along a few days ago with a buddy of mine in NE Philly. Him and his crew said that the word is hiring from our list in April.

Forum Member

Yo fellas, just wanna give you a heads up on a few things- Almost exactly two years had passed since the day I sat for the test and the day I walked through the gates of the academy. I know you're all going crazy waiting for any new info, or at least the ones who really want this job are. I'm sorry but get ready to play the waiting game. I was in your shoes once; checking this website everyday, talking to fellas already on the job and asking if they had heard anything, calling HR weekly. What did I learn by the time I actually got hired?- 90% of what I was told was bullsh*t. Guys on the job can only tell you what they've heard, which is usually a bad rumor, and HR only tells you what you want to hear so they can get off the phone.
    That being said, last I heard was that there WILL be at least one class hired from this list, probably consisting of 100 cadets. The class keeps getting pushed back because the priority right now is to get the EMTs and new medics out there. This is coming from a few fellas I know will be teaching your class when it comes to fruition. Take comfort in knowing that the city would not have spent the money to have all you guys test and not hire from this list. Also take comfort in the fact that my class was supposed to start in May and didn't start till almost October.
    In the meantime, try to relax but also start preparing yourself for fire school. It's the best/worst time of your life. As I was told "It ain't hard, but it ain't easy!"

Forum Member

RIP to the fallen sister today. Keep her in your prayers fellows

Thread Information