Like Tree31Likes

Thread: City of Philadelphia- Winter 2013

Shawshank

I called the number today listed on the above post. I talked to Mr. Starling who wasn't much help in any information other than he states there will be another test in November. I told him I was confused as to why the city would host another test in November when the city had just had one the year previous with no candidates hired off of it. He was unaware of the new eligibility list and was able to give me a phone number to a lieutenant in recruiting. I called and left a message with no return call as of yet.

Forum Member

Let me start off by saying I have no more information on this than anyone, so I could be wrong. What I've figured out here is through simple common sense.

This testing in November sounds like malarkey. The 2013 test was announced on 7/22/13 and applications closed 8/23/13. So we're already two months behind and counting with no notice so far. The listing says we will be contacted two weeks before the test, so if it were posted tomorrow they'd have one month for everyone to apply and a test to be set up. Currently on the Philadelphia HR page has a job interest form the the 2015 test posted.

The "Military Career Advancement Project" also sounds like a load of crap itself. As a veterans myself, I've never heard of this group before. Its website is a poorly put together WordPress site. The number listed and this Mr Starling character seem to have no affiliation with the City of Philadelphia.

Most likely I think this is just a mistake, the posting states 2015 repeatedly before saying this November. Unless someone has some better evidence- or a job posting comes out very soon, I'm not buying into this.

Forum Member

Well there is some good news. It seems you are right about the website having the wrong information. I was able to get a hold of someone in the HR department. They confirmed that there is no schedule test for anytime in November (11/2014). Unfortunately they could not tell me when they would start pulling names off the list for hire either. I just hope the list don't expire before they decided to start hiring.

Shawshank

Quote Originally Posted by saturn View Post
    Well there is some good news. It seems you are right about the website having the wrong information. I was able to get a hold of someone in the HR department. They confirmed that there is no schedule test for anytime in November (11/2014). Unfortunately they could not tell me when they would start pulling names off the list for hire either. I just hope the list don't expire before they decided to start hiring.
    The 2 year time on the list does not start until the first candidates are canvassed for hire. Essentially making all this time we have been waiting, "free time" if you will. So that's the information that has been said on this thread anyway.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Did anybody from out of state manage to get extra points for FF1 or EMT ? I'm already looking at 2015.

Shawshank

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I figure I'd give the thread a bump since it has been idle for months and has fallen back to the 5th page. Any new rumors or info out there?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving to all! I figure I'd give the thread a bump since it has been idle for months and has fallen back to the 5th page. Any new rumors or info out there?
    Did a ride along a few days ago with a buddy of mine in NE Philly. Him and his crew said that the word is hiring from our list in April.

Forum Member

Yo fellas, just wanna give you a heads up on a few things- Almost exactly two years had passed since the day I sat for the test and the day I walked through the gates of the academy. I know you're all going crazy waiting for any new info, or at least the ones who really want this job are. I'm sorry but get ready to play the waiting game. I was in your shoes once; checking this website everyday, talking to fellas already on the job and asking if they had heard anything, calling HR weekly. What did I learn by the time I actually got hired?- 90% of what I was told was bullsh*t. Guys on the job can only tell you what they've heard, which is usually a bad rumor, and HR only tells you what you want to hear so they can get off the phone.
    That being said, last I heard was that there WILL be at least one class hired from this list, probably consisting of 100 cadets. The class keeps getting pushed back because the priority right now is to get the EMTs and new medics out there. This is coming from a few fellas I know will be teaching your class when it comes to fruition. Take comfort in knowing that the city would not have spent the money to have all you guys test and not hire from this list. Also take comfort in the fact that my class was supposed to start in May and didn't start till almost October.
    In the meantime, try to relax but also start preparing yourself for fire school. It's the best/worst time of your life. As I was told "It ain't hard, but it ain't easy!"
    billyblooshoes likes this.

Forum Member

RIP to the fallen sister today. Keep her in your prayers fellows

Forum Member

just to add to the rumor mill, i heard from someone i know on the job that there is talk of a couple academy classes planned for summer. plus the new 4 year contract finalized today, which is awesome news!

Forum Member

Last thing I heard (a month or two ago) from a buddy on the job with PFD was at least one class of 80-100 from this list, maybe two classes. Earliest start would be late Spring. We aren't going anywhere or doing anything until all of the EMT classes are done, which are going to be anywhere from 2-4 classes, not sure how many in each class….stay patient…stay safe...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billyblooshoes View Post
    just to add to the rumor mill, i heard from someone i know on the job that there is talk of a couple academy classes planned for summer. plus the new 4 year contract finalized today, which is awesome news!
    I'm pretty stupid, but what does a finalization of a 4 year contract actually mean?

Shawshank

Quote Originally Posted by Redrick View Post
    I'm pretty stupid, but what does a finalization of a 4 year contract actually mean?
    One of the best things negotiated with the new contract is a change to their residency policy. You can now move out from within the city limits after 5 years of employment. You still have to maintain residence in the state of Pennsylvania. I think there was also an increase in raise percentages. It also states there is a transfer policy. I'm not exactly sure if that's a policy pertaining to transfers between fire stations or a policy pertaining to hiring lateral transfers? Anyone have better knowledge on that?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redrick View Post
    here's the official press release from local22:

PHILADELPHIA FIREFIGHTERS & PARAMEDICS UNION LOCAL 22
    AWARDED NEW FOUR-YEAR CONTRACT
    Source- IAFF Local 22
    Union Calls Arbitration Award ‘Fair and Responsive To Members Needs’
    PHILADELPHIA, PA — Today, in a City Hall press conference hosted by Philadelphia
    Mayor Michael A. Nutter, the terms of a new four-year contract award for the Philadelphia
    Firefighters & Paramedics Union Local 22 were publicly announced. The term of the award is
    from 2013 through June 2017. The law firm of Cleary, Josem & Trigiani represented the union
    during the arbitration process. Local 22 union officials were generally pleased with the award.
    “Philadelphia Firefighters and Paramedics Union Local 22 believes the new contract award is fair
    and responsive to our needs and concerns,” said Local 22 President Joe Schulle. “We appreciate
    the administration’s decision not to challenge the arbitration award. We believe the award itself
    and the professional, courteous process by which both sides arrived at this moment today bode
    well for the future relationship between the city and its firefighters and paramedics. It’s been
    an emotionally difficult year for our membership. We appreciate the public’s support and the
    respect the city has shown us throughout this arbitration process.”
    Details of New Contract:
    Following are highlights of the new four-year award:
    Wages:
    July 1, 2013, 3%; July 1, 2014, 3%; July 1, 2015, 3.25%; and the fourth year will be reopened
    to determine the wage.
    Medical:
    No change to current levels of medical coverage. The fund will be fully self-insured through the city,
    resulting in significant savings. $1,500 in incentives to members for participation in various wellness
    and fitness programs.Minimum Pension:
    The minimum pension for Local 22 retirees will increase to $1,000.00 per month.
    Retiree Medical Fund:
    July 1, 2014, 2.65 million; July 1, 2015, 2.65 million; and reopened for the third and fourth year.
    Premium Pay:
    July 1, 2013, premium pay will be increased to 3.5 hours per week. Effective January 1, 2015,
    pensionable earnings for premium pay will increase from 4% to 6%.
    Night Shift Differential:
    Fire Service Paramedics assigned to permanent night shift will receive a differential of $1.50 per
    hour.
    Clothing Allowance:
    July 1, 2014, the clothing allowance shall be increased by $100 per member.
    Life Insurance:
    The city will increase its contribution for active member’s life insurance from $12 per member to
    $18.25 per member.
    Legal Services:
    The city will contribute $1 million to the Local 22 legal services trust. Effective July 1, 2014,
    the per member, per month rate will increase $2 and effective July 1, 2015, the rate will
    increase $3.
    Sick Leave:
    Effective January 1, 2015, members who use non-certified sick leave shall be restricted from
    working overtime for 2 weeks following their return to duty.
    Residency:
    Effective March 1, 2015 all members currently in the DROP will not be required to live in the
    city of Philadelphia.
    Effective January 1, 2016, all members with 5 or more years of service will not be required to
    live in the city of Philadelphia.
    All members will be required to reside in the state of Pennsylvania.
    Commanders Compensatory Time
    Effective January 1, 2015, Battalion Chiefs and Deputy Chiefs will earn compensatory time at the
    rate of 1.5 hours for each hour worked.Each year, the number of hours a commander may sell back will increase from 80 hours
    annually to 120 hours. Additionally, a commander may accumulate an additional 100 hour
    to retirement.
    Discipline Policy
    A disciplinary grid is established as part of the award as well as a revised grievance process and
    an accelerated arbitration process.
    Transfer Policy
    A transparent and equitable transfer policy is established as part of this award.

Forum Member

Aw, okay, thank you guys. Suppose we'll see what the next few months hold.

Forum Member

I know this question has been asked 100 times. But i was wondering if anyone knew the true 100% answer. When does the 2 year window for our test official start? I am only asking because i am seeing a interest flyer around saying the next test will be this year most likely in novemeber.

Forum Member

Next test is November

Shawshank

Just heard from my reliable inside source that funding is approved and plans to hire a class in June. He had said a strong likelihood of the process of pre-hire canvassing starting in April. He still says the ems hires being done on time will stipulate the fire class starting on time.

Forum Member

One class or a double class
    80 and 80 ?

Forum Member

Does anyone know if our list is established yet? I know the applications says "Candidates who pass the exam and are placed on the civil service list will be retained on the list for a minimum of one year and a maximum of two years after the establishment of the Eligible List."

But after looking at the print application

Projected Exam Date
    This examination will be tentatively scheduled for November 16, 2013. Please note that this examination date is subject to change.
    A Published List of Candidates and/or an Eligible List is planned for the week of January 27, 2014. Please note that this date may change.
    An Eligible List may be established simultaneously with the Published List of Candidates (when an immediate need to hire exists) or upon first certification request by the hiring authority.

And when i call downtown i keep getting a run around. Im trying to keep myself in high spirts but its hard when we hear nothing from anyone for months at a time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by deadbear271 View Post
    Next test is November
    So does this mean that our list is getting wiped?

Forum Member

The test is not out. Last time around the city began putting up notice for this exam when they began processing for the last classes. It's a countinous cycle. From what I understand the hiring process won't begin until the Emt classes have finished. The last one I belive began on Monday. In regards to the length of the list I was told it begins once processing starts. Once members are eligible to be hired. How many bodies and classes are up to the city and unknown to me

Forum Member

Ok boys..question...i imagine it is kind of late for all this but i have been butting heads with HR regarding my additional points for emt and ff1...they say i got it in too late. has anyone had the same issue with this in the past and have been successful getting recognition for the points? if you have, can you let me know some strategies that I can use to get this accomplished? I know we are competing for jobs but any help you can give me I'd appreciate it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RockyFortune View Post
    Ok boys..question...i imagine it is kind of late for all this but i have been butting heads with HR regarding my additional points for emt and ff1...they say i got it in too late. has anyone had the same issue with this in the past and have been successful getting recognition for the points? if you have, can you let me know some strategies that I can use to get this accomplished? I know we are competing for jobs but any help you can give me I'd appreciate it.
    They offered a very VERY lenient time to put in extra points, they allowed for you to put in points even after the 30 days they said they'd cut off at. I'd PM Billyblueshoes. He had the same issue, but he got them somehow.

Thread Information