Like Tree31Likes

Thread: City of Philadelphia- Winter 2013

Forum Member

Last Emt class begins in April. Class is being prepared and nothing scheduled for firedighter until this class has finished

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lifebeginsat40 View Post
    Last Emt class begins in April. Class is being prepared and nothing scheduled for firedighter until this class has finished
    How long are the EMT classes?

Forum Member

Buddy in the EMT program says his first day in the academy starts MAY 4th. Is 6 weeks long, also has a second class going through. No idea if the other class he is talking about will start in conjunction with his (he's off, they are on) or if they will go through after or before his class.

Forum Member

Possible class August/September
    Unknown amount of FF

Forum Member

Possible class August/September
    Unknown amount of FF
    What's your source ?

Shawshank

My source had said June but its looking unrealistic with how slow this emt class process has been.

Forum Member

Heard the same information again of a possible class August/September
    If this is the case a form of notification( in theory) should go out within the next 2 months

Forum Member

Heard the same information again of a possible class August/September
    If this is the case a form of notification( in theory) should go out within the next 2 months
    Just another rumor from my end, my source says it's "concrete" thing time though, says 2 classes of 100 going through in July. My buddy in the EMT job's academy starts May 4th, last six weeks, so in both our cases it would be starting around the same time give or take 3 weeks.

The form of notification isn't an email, but a physical piece of mail correct?

Forum Member

Email. Any further notification not replied to must be sent a letter through the mail before the name is taken off the list.
    2 classes of 100 ? Totaling 200
    Bodies or 100
    Total

Forum Member

Email. Any further notification not replied to must be sent a letter through the mail before the name is taken off the list.
    2 classes of 100 ? Totaling 200
    Bodies or 100
    Total
    2 classes, 100 for each class. Basically, the new commissioner has a huge problem that there is only 1800 Firefighters, when there has always been 2000+ since as far back as Benjamin Franklin. There is another huge amount about to retire and there are so many openings right now that they can't fill.

This is all from my buddy who is on the job.

Forum Member

How long is the process from orientation to class ? Anyone with insight as to how the process works

E70
    Forum Member

Just a heads up: it's always hard to find enough instructors for summer classes, especially two at a time. Everyone is on vacation and OT is already high, plus a lot of people are generally disinclined to change their vacation plans to instruct a cadet class. Even if they 'want' to push these classes through this summer, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually happened this fall.

Forum Member

Stay hopefull boys and girls. Heard today that the city approved the budget for two classes of 100 for August/September. Wether it's true or not I don't know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by New Guy 58 View Post
    Stay hopefull boys and girls. Heard today that the city approved the budget for two classes of 100 for August/September. Wether it's true or not I don't know.
    Yeah I heard the same from another souce. 200 total I believe.

EDIT: Does anyone know if a finalized list has come out yet, or is this one still the official one? It's been over a year, is it safe to say that your rank here is the final one?

http://www.iaff22.org/images/shared/...0722-OC-01.pdf
    Last edited by Redrick; 04-20-2015 at 10:32 PM.

Shawshank

Quote Originally Posted by Redrick View Post
    Yeah I heard the same from another souce. 200 total I believe.

EDIT: Does anyone know if a finalized list has come out yet, or is this one still the official one? It's been over a year, is it safe to say that your rank here is the final one?

http://www.iaff22.org/images/shared/...0722-OC-01.pdf
    No. That list is prior to the 30 day window of extra points. I know this because it shows me in my original spot before my extra points. They never posted the new one as far as I know. Mr. Bertal did tell me that the new list was established Nov. 2014 and expire Nov. 2016.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    No. That list is prior to the 30 day window of extra points. I know this because it shows me in my original spot before my extra points. They never posted the new one as far as I know. Mr. Bertal did tell me that the new list was established Nov. 2014 and expire Nov. 2016.
    Yeah, I got curious so I did some calling, I was pu in contact with Firefighter Personnel which confirmed several things:

1. My rank is still the same
    2. Orientation info will be going out soon
    3. 200 firefighters are being hired and put through the academy at the end of the summer

She sounded very confident and sure.
    Straight from the horses mouth I guess, real nice lady. I pretty much sperged out after she said 200 were being hired without a second thought, hope I didn't scare her.
    Last edited by Redrick; 04-21-2015 at 11:00 PM.

Forum Member

Spoke with personnel,
    As stated above summer classes look like a strong possibility. Personnel stated orientation letters to go out in a few weeks. She asked my list number ( below 200) and stated I would recieve a letter. Any one have an idea from prior classes how long the process is from orientation to academy

Shawshank

What exactly is orientation? Can someone explain it better? Is this next prior to an interview?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    What exactly is orientation? Can someone explain it better? Is this next prior to an interview?
    It's the first step of the process. They basically tell you what you are about to get in to and what to expect.

Shawshank

Quote Originally Posted by Krb5 View Post
    It's the first step of the process. They basically tell you what you are about to get in to and what to expect.
    Ok that's what I thought but I figured i'd ask in case it was something more entailed.

Forum Member

if i recal the timeline coorectly:

Test - 11/11
    Orientation - end of 2/13
    turn in background check booklet - 3/13 (2 weeks following orientation)
    Finger printing/HR Interview/Chief Interview - 5/13
    Dept physical - 5/13 (scheduled with Hr at interview)
    gear fitting - 6/13
    report letter - late 8/13
    start - 9/13
    graduate - 2/14

Forum Member

great news everyone. as far as orientation letters being sent out, does anyone know how many will be sent out? im a little over the 200 mark, but the way i see it, people have gotten other jobs, moved on, lost interest, took the emt job, etc. this would and could take a bunch of people off the list. i would assume they'll send out letters to more than just the first 200 on the estblished list, no?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billyblooshoes View Post
    great news everyone. as far as orientation letters being sent out, does anyone know how many will be sent out? im a little over the 200 mark, but the way i see it, people have gotten other jobs, moved on, lost interest, took the emt job, etc. this would and could take a bunch of people off the list. i would assume they'll send out letters to more than just the first 200 on the estblished list, no?
    People were getting letters sent out that were well past the amount hired from what I understand for the last rotation. I'd say they'll send out to the first 300 if not more.

Thread Information