Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: City of Philadelphia- Winter 2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JCff55 View Post
    That's great news man thanks for sharing. Anybody else hear the same thing? Do you know if they're still planning on 2 classes of 100 to go thru at the same time? Any idea when the list is going to be published/the orientation might be?
    Two classes of 100 where are you getting your info from?

Forum Member

@Redrick...The budget for the hiring is approved.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by drew31 View Post
    @Redrick...The budget for the hiring is approved.
    Oh my goodness.

Forum Member

For the guys who seem confident classes will go through, any word for vets ? Will all be processed as in previous classes, or will they go off the list as is ?

Forum Member

Greetings,

My name is Bill Hicks and I am in my 18th year in the fire service, and currently serve as a fire chief. I am also a doctoral candidate at Eastern Kentucky University and my dissertation topic involves investigating the current status of firefighter reciprocity among the 50 states. I am seeking members of the fire service who may have experience in moving from state to state and seeking reciprocity, or recognition of certification issued by your old state, in a new state. Also, if you came from the military and sought reciprocity for DOD certificates, I would like to hear from you as well. If you have not experienced this, please forward the link below to anyone who you may know that has done this.

For those that have such experiences, I am humbly asking you to give 5 minutes of your time to answer a short series of question found at the link below on your experiences with seeking reciprocity, or recognition when you moved from one state to another, regardless of being paid or volunteer members in your department.

Also at the end of the survey you will have a space to share any experiences you may have had when dealing with reciprocity of fire service certifications in your department and with your state. Also feel free to forward this to any fire service member(s) who you feel would have something to say on the topic.

Your anonymity is protected throughout the process. Just click or copy the link below to begin.

https://ekussem.co1.qualtrics.com/SE...Z1aVMb9w1QhYtD

Also, if you would like to share your experiences with me in more depth after taking part in the survey, please leave your email in the beginning of the comments section at the end of the survey.

Forum Member

Sorry fellas, but the FF classes are well on the back burner. Current plan is 4 consecutive classes of 40 EMT's starting soon. After they hit the street, FF details into the squads will effectively end. This means that 28 FF's will be back in the quotas for each shift. OT will be minimal and the need for new FF's just won't be there.

Shawshank

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer View Post
    Sorry fellas, but the FF classes are well on the back burner. Current plan is 4 consecutive classes of 40 EMT's starting soon. After they hit the street, FF details into the squads will effectively end. This means that 28 FF's will be back in the quotas for each shift. OT will be minimal and the need for new FF's just won't be there.
    By squads I'm assuming you mean the ambulances? I'm not familiar with the nomenclature there. We call them medic units here. Anyway, are you sure they aren't putting all the emt's through at once? It will take a long time to do 40 at a time. An average EMT basic class 4-5 months. That would be brutal.
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

Forum Member

hey fellas, i wouldnt get down with what Fixxer just said. here is the link to the for the Philadelphia Fire Department Fiscal Year 2015 budget.
    http://phlcouncil.com/wp-content/upl...reFY15Test.pdf
    if you open up this link you will see 7 pages. look on page 2 of this attachment and you can see that the city budgeted and approved for 2397 firefighter and only 2276 are filled which doesnt include fire fighter who are gonna retire. Also on page 4of this attachedment they are anticipating that approximately 100 EMT's will be hired in the next 12 months. So with that if this is your dream dont give up hope

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    By squads I'm assuming you mean the ambulances? I'm not familiar with the nomenclature there. We call them medic units here. Anyway, are you sure they aren't putting all the emt's through at once? It will take a long time to do 40 at a time. An average EMT basic class 4-5 months. That would be brutal.
    All EMT applicats had to have already been certified to apply. So it wont take 4-5 months per class. It will probably be more like a month or two.

Forum Member

At this point in time, I'm done thinking about it. I'll gain interest again when the revised list comes out. The only thing that I have interest in, is trying to confirm exactly if our list timer is already going down for the 2015 one, or the 2 year timer wont start until they pull someone from our list.

Fixxer, what's your source? I've heard so many rumors from several people on the job, and every single "rumor" has been wrong. I'm at the point where I'm disregarding everything I hear about it unless ir's from the horses mouth lol. Everything posted here should be taken with a grain of salt.
    OU812 and jimjam12345 like this.

Forum Member

i called down to PFD HR headquarters a few days ago to see what kind of info i could get. i was told that yes, FF hiring is on the backburner FOR THE TIME BEING so that they can get these EMT hires through. i asked if there was any idea as to when the new list would come out, and was told there was really no sure way to tell, and that there is still the possibility it could change again a number of times. the guy i spoke to seemed pretty certain and assuring to me that firefighters indeed would be hired and that they are not doing away with the idea. it'll just take a while longer, which we've all gathered im assuming. im definitely not giving up hope on this guys. this is what i want to do. it just sucks that its going to most likely take a while longer for anything to pan out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billyblooshoes View Post
    i called down to PFD HR headquarters a few days ago to see what kind of info i could get. i was told that yes, FF hiring is on the backburner FOR THE TIME BEING so that they can get these EMT hires through. i asked if there was any idea as to when the new list would come out, and was told there was really no sure way to tell, and that there is still the possibility it could change again a number of times. the guy i spoke to seemed pretty certain and assuring to me that firefighters indeed would be hired and that they are not doing away with the idea. it'll just take a while longer, which we've all gathered im assuming. im definitely not giving up hope on this guys. this is what i want to do. it just sucks that its going to most likely take a while longer for anything to pan out.
    We need to establish if our list is already decaying. Blue, if you get the chance to speak again, ask them to get a serious, concrete answer if you would please. I have no problem waiting the next decade if need be, but I have a problem if the list is already counting down.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redrick View Post
    Fixxer, what's your source? I've heard so many rumors from several people on the job, and every single "rumor" has been wrong. I'm at the point where I'm disregarding everything I hear about it unless ir's from the horses mouth lol. Everything posted here should be taken with a grain of salt.
    Obviously I can not publicly state my sources. I only report reliable information that I learn from credible sources. None of this affects me so I have no vested interest either way. I just let you guys know the current reality instead of blowing smoke up your *****. Hope and "keeping the faith" is great, but it doesn't change reality. I'd rather be told the truth than be told to hang in there.
    PFD188Hopeful likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    As stated by Upsidedown, the applicants must already have their EMT certification. When they are hired, they will go through a 6 week "Academy." It will be modeled after and very similar to the Paramedic classes that go through, but with more focus on driving.

Forum Member

So when is this EMT academy going to start? So we have a slight idea of when they will focus maybe on the firefighters.

Forum Member

Trust in Fixxer

Forum Member

Fixxer is correct. They'll string you along, but facts are facts. There are few retirees in the next year, at least not as many as years past. Emphasis in the city is on EMS now, not firefighting.

My 2 cents? They've effectively undersold the firefighting position by hiring EMTs for a lower salary (and with no established procedure for ranking candidates, so they can hire "whoever" they want). They implemented "cold responses" which effectively killed engines/ladders responding on first responder assists. Fires have been down for years, now EMS assists are down. Lower numbers mean less justification for keeping the amount of companies (mainly engines) open they have now. You'll see houses getting closed in the not so distant future. The concept is fairly simple when you think about it.

I could go on and on... but I'll leave it at that for fear of my job.

Forum Member

Obviously I can not publicly state my sources. I only report reliable information that I learn from credible sources. None of this affects me so I have no vested interest either way. I just let you guys know the current reality instead of blowing smoke up your *****. Hope and "keeping the faith" is great, but it doesn't change reality. I'd rather be told the truth than be told to hang in there.
    Alright, do you know the situation on the list timer? Has it already started for the November 13 test? Or will it wait until someone from our list is pulled to be hired. What about the EMT burn out rate? I know in my area that people quit all the time. Do they plan on having another "list" for EMT's?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redrick View Post
    Alright, do you know the situation on the list timer? Has it already started for the November 13 test? Or will it wait until someone from our list is pulled to be hired. What about the EMT burn out rate? I know in my area that people quit all the time. Do they plan on having another "list" for EMT's?
    It all depends on when the list is signed off as an Established Eligible list. The list must last at least one year, but can not be longer than two years from the date of signing. More info here: http://www.phila.gov/personnel/webregs/reg10.htm

As for burn-out of EMT's: they don't give a crap about the paramedics, so I don't see them addressing EMT burn out before they even hire 1 EMT. They will most likely be implementing an ALS engine pilot program. Not sure how they are going to staff it, but there are several medics that crossed the floor that could be utilized.

I also agree with borderben; I can foresee some closings

Forum Member

It all depends on when the list is signed off as an Established Eligible list. The list must last at least one year, but can not be longer than two years from the date of signing. More info here: http://www.phila.gov/personnel/webregs/reg10.htm

As for burn-out of EMT's: they don't give a crap about the paramedics, so I don't see them addressing EMT burn out before they even hire 1 EMT. They will most likely be implementing an ALS engine pilot program. Not sure how they are going to staff it, but there are several medics that crossed the floor that could be utilized.

I also agree with borderben; I can foresee some closings
    And our list hasn't been signed off yet. Alright. So when the final revised list comes out, that's when it will start.

Thread Information