Like Tree26Likes

Thread: City of Philadelphia- Winter 2013

Forum Member

I will be there, I hope they answer my questions.

Forum Member

Mini academy was all information I already knew. Lady just went over the study guide, the test, confirmed that the WSI was the only thing that ranked you on the list. Only new information was whom I guess was the human resources guy saying that they expect to hire a few hundred in the next two years.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redrick View Post
    Mini academy was all information I already knew. Lady just went over the study guide, the test, confirmed that the WSI was the only thing that ranked you on the list. Only new information was whom I guess was the human resources guy saying that they expect to hire a few hundred in the next two years.
    yeah i was glad to hear confirmation about the WSI ranking as well. did i hear someone saying that there were close to ten thousand applicants? figures i brought my IFSAC FF1 cert to submit and they wouldnt take it. im going to have to dig up the other one that says PA on it. i was told they would accept certs the day of testing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billyblooshoes View Post
    yeah i was glad to hear confirmation about the WSI ranking as well. did i hear someone saying that there were close to ten thousand applicants? figures i brought my IFSAC FF1 cert to submit and they wouldnt take it. im going to have to dig up the other one that says PA on it. i was told they would accept certs the day of testing.
    The lady said there was 10k applicants yes, but who really knows. She only represented the test, not the city. One thing I wish I asked was if there was more then one correct answer to each question on the WSI.

Forum Member

Check your email. They sent out the test sites.

Forum Member

Under the time section, did anyone else get " TIME: 0.541666666666667"?

I have a cpat orientation for Anne Arundel that is mandatory and I'm hoping the times are far enough apart that I can make both.

Forum Member

Yeah, my time says something like 0.3333444666677

Forum Member

Yup.
    DATE: Saturday, November 16, 2013
    TIME: 0.541666666666667

Par for the course.

Forum Member

I converted both 0.354166666666667and 0.541666666666667 in Excel to a time format, and the answers I got were 8:30am and 1pm respectively. Not sure if this is correct, but it's what I am going with for now.

Forum Member

Solid work. Thanks

Forum Member

Girls school at 1pm. See you guys there. Hope they don't ask to many questions on the wages and salary material.

Forum Member

got my time also 1pm
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side

Forum Member

I'm taking the test @ Central at 1. We only have 2 weeks! Study hard

Forum Member

Just curious, but how are you guys studying? I started with flashcards, but I've found getting family to just go through each chapter making up questions from the material works great.

Forum Member

Good luck tomorrow fellas. Lets hope we pull a good number this time.

Forum Member

Was easy. First part I finished in 20 minutes. Wsi was mad weird. One question that got me was whether I was soft hearted or strong minded. I said I was soft hearted thinking it meant I was able to identify with people in trouble. A number of questions I found difficult to understand what was being asked.

Forum Member

Was easy. First part I finished in 20 minutes. Wsi was mad weird. One question that got me was whether I was soft hearted or strong minded. I said I was soft hearted thinking it meant I was able to identify with people in trouble. A number of questions I found difficult to understand what was being asked.
    yeah WSI was kinda strange. am i correct in remembering that the first part was pass/fail and the WSI was for ranking?

kinda ****ed there was a problem with submitting my FF1 cert again. i just dont get why they wont take it.

Shawshank

I did a great deal of study on the guide prior to the test. During the test I didn't feel there was more than a few questions that I couldn't recall from the material. The WSI was pretty subjective. Just like they want it to be. I was disappointed to hear that the first part of test is pass/fail. I guess I will have to wait to see the results.
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

Forum Member

yeah WSI was kinda strange. am i correct in remembering that the first part was pass/fail and the WSI was for ranking?

kinda ****ed there was a problem with submitting my FF1 cert again. i just dont get why they wont take it.
    Was it submitted on a serial-numbered certificate issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Did FF's base pay get raised by the new contract with the city? If so, to what?

Forum Member

There were a couple that I remember that I could have answered either agree or disagree based on the context. One of them was about valuing a person who has clear values and beliefs more than someone who doesn't. I agree with that statement if you are talking about the people I choose to be around and keep in my life. I may not agree with them all of the time but I like to know what people are about and what they stand for. BUT when it comes to helping people I would disagree with that statement. Someone in need of help is different. It doesn't matter their values or beliefs. A life is a life!

I hate questions that are up for interpretation. Killing someone is killing some one right? Yes but not exactly. Killing someone who is breaking in to my house to try to rob and kill my family is different than killing someone in road rage because they cut me off. If someone asked a point blank "would you ever kill someone" and you send yes it can be taken out of context based on the simple answer. I would prefer not to kill someone but would if I had to.

Sorry for the rant but this part of the test bothers me. That being said it is what it is and good luck to everyone who took the test!

Forum Member

I remember that question about value. I thought it didn't say that you valued them more, I thought it said something like you "appreciate" them more or value their opinions more. I answered that one strongly agree haha, woops.

I'm still very confused by this whole hiring process, this is the eligable list from last time:
    http://www.iaff22.org/items/2012%20F...nce%20List.pdf

I thought that the passing of the first part was based on the median. IE: All of us had taken it, the average was a 70. So anyone above a 70 got the WSI graded. So why on this list does it cut off at 70, why does it even go that far? It doesn't seem like there is any point to list anyone that has below a 100 on the WSI.
    Last edited by Redrick; 11-20-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Forum Member

i have two different certs for FF1 that i attempted to submit. i brought my IFSAC cert to the mini-academy and they would not take that. i brought my PA issued cert to submit after taking the entrance test and thats when they gave me trouble about submitting it. i do not believe it has a serial number, but it says right across the top 'pennsylvania fire academy'. it also has a crest on it for the office of the state fire commissioner. the course is listed on the cert as 'PA Essentials of Firefighting', and to boot, the outline of the state of pennsylvania is outlining the entire thing. the only thing i can figure is that because of its age they are not familiar with it. it was issued to me in 2004.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Was it submitted on a serial-numbered certificate issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania?

i have two different certs for FF1 that i attempted to submit. i brought my IFSAC cert to the mini-academy and they would not take that. i brought my PA issued cert to submit after taking the entrance test and thats when they gave me trouble about submitting it. i do not believe it has a serial number, but it says right across the top 'pennsylvania fire academy'. it also has a crest on it for the office of the state fire commissioner. the course is listed on the cert as 'PA Essentials of Firefighting', and to boot, the outline of the state of pennsylvania is outlining the entire thing. the only thing i can figure is that because of its age they are not familiar with it. it was issued to me in 2004.

Forum Member

The job listing says Firefighter 1 by the Office of the State Fire Commissioner of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
    Last edited by Stogie81; 02-25-2014 at 09:19 AM.

Thread Information