Like Tree30Likes

Thread: City of Philadelphia- Winter 2013

Forum Member

Default City of Philadelphia- Winter 2013

City of Philadelphia Civil Service is now accepting applications to take the written test for firefighter. Open period is July 22-Aug 23. Test date is November 16. You DO NOT need to be a resident to test however you MUST establish a residence inside the city within 6 months of your date of hire and maintain it for the duration of your employment. Previous experience and certifications DO NOT COUNT so dont even ask. You are not a City of Philadelphia Firefighter until you go through the Philly Fire Academy, no matter how thick your certs book is.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

EMT-A and FF-1 certifications from Pennsylvania do count as added points. Make sure that you pay particular attention as to what exactly is required when the official announcement is posted.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuyPhilly View Post
    EMT-A and FF-1 certifications from Pennsylvania do count as added points. Make sure that you pay particular attention as to what exactly is required when the official announcement is posted.
    Ahhh yes Big Guy thanks for that I forgot, it was aimed more or less at guys who have asked in the past about prior experience and training, and if they had to go to proby school.

Forum Member

I took the last test (December 2011) and the test was based of a manual, is this the same for this test? Also they never told me or the other 12 guys who took it with me....

Forum Member

Application submitted. Maybe I'll pull a better number this time.

Forum Member

I got a perfect score on this in 2011 and never got a call (probably won't even if they squeeze a third class off the list before the new one takes effect) which is kinda frustrating.

Last time the first half of the test was pass/fail and only the WSI was scored. I don't see that written anywhere here. Anyone know if they'll actually score the whole thing this time? That should keep there from being over 1000 people with 100s this time around.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpnyc1 View Post
    I got a perfect score on this in 2011 and never got a call (probably won't even if they squeeze a third class off the list before the new one takes effect) which is kinda frustrating.

Last time the first half of the test was pass/fail and only the WSI was scored. I don't see that written anywhere here. Anyone know if they'll actually score the whole thing this time? That should keep there from being over 1000 people with 100s this time around.
    It is the same exact setup. I have a feeling there will be a lot more 102, 103 and 105 scores so if you only score 100 you might get screwed again.

Forum Member

What makes you say there will be more 100 plus scores?

Forum Member

Lots of guys that couldn't take advantage of the extra points last time that can this time.

Shawshank

Now that I found this thread I will delete mine. Funny how I searched it and it did not pop up. Anyways, does anyone know if they will accept other state EMT and or national registry? As well as IFSAC Firefighter I and or Pro Board Firefighter I?
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Now that I found this thread I will delete mine. Funny how I searched it and it did not pop up. Anyways, does anyone know if they will accept other state EMT and or national registry? As well as IFSAC Firefighter I and or Pro Board Firefighter I?
    Certs must be Pa.

Forum Member

Maybe. Who can say how long this list will last. Last one looks like it only lasted two years and only 480 people got a shot. Are you a veteren? They took all the vets off the last list no matter what they scored, provided they passed ofcourse. If you make a trip out of it and see some sights that may make the trip alone worth it. We have cool stuff. Maybe this list will last longer. Maybe not. I wouldn't get my hopes up though.

Forum Member

Hired all vets that passed the test, not true.

Forum Member

My mistake then. Thats how the last thread made it seem.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RQRandy View Post
    All vets that passed the test were either hired, rejected for cause, or they deferred/declined.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RQRandy View Post
    All vets that passed the test were either hired, rejected for cause, or they deferred/declined.

Forum Member

Comming up on October, so anybody hear when the study material will be available? Last time it was about a month before. I wonder if it will be the same as last time.

Forum Member

I think last time it was like a week or two prior. They emailed us. It was two years ago so my memory is a little foggy. If you need help finding the place just post or DM me. I'll help you figure it out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    From the Pennsylvania Office of the State Fire Commissioner's website:

Reciprocity http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...eciprocity_pdf
    A process by which reciprocity will be granted for national certification levels attained outside the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Certification Program

Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

There's a guy on the job from a major West Coast city. He flew back and forth multiple times to do the whole process. He's a pretty happy camper.

Forum Member

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...225085842.html

If this holds and is not reversed or thrown out and these members do not get their rank back and they are demoted, guess who else suffers?
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...225085842.html

If this holds and is not reversed or thrown out and these members do not get their rank back and they are demoted, guess who else suffers?
    The family.

However, I think you implied how it affected the cadets. More than enough openings, no need to worry anyone.

Forum Member

Check your email. Test guide is available.

Forum Member

Did anyone else have a problem with the TPM study guide and practice test not being there when you logged in or is it just me.

Forum Member

I'm following the directions in the emal, but when I get to the job description where the study guide links are supposed to be available, there are no links. Also, I go to the city personnel site as they also suggest but have zero idea as to where on that site the study guide link would be located. Any tips?

On a side note, where in Philly is decent to live? I'm from roughly an hour away and I'm curious because I don't know much about living there.

Thanks in advance.

Thread Information