Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default American LaFrance No lights from pump panel back HELP!

We have a 2003 American LaFrance rescue engine with a CAT. We are having an electrical issue with all lighting from the pump panel back. Sometimes the rotating lights, flashing lights, and even the tailights will not work. All of the front emergency lights will be on and working properly and there will be nothing in the back... The wiring system goes into a "Brain" which is a box with a bunch of yellow wires coming out of it. This box is located in the center of the cab in the ceiling and is easily accessed by two quarter turn screws. There are a bunch of relays in there and when I check connections, sometimes the lights will come back on..... sometimes they won't. I am hoping that someone has a suggestion on what this might be. I have tried trouble shooting but am unable to locate what the problem is, because when I get in there and start looking, it will sometimes "Fix" the problem....which is..... a problem!

Open to any and all suggestions brothers!
    JOHN 15:13

ISAIAH 43:2

1st Asst. Chief Ray Johns

FF/NREMT-B

Marion Volunteer Fire Department

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by axemanst3 View Post
    We have a 2003 American LaFrance rescue engine with a CAT. We are having an electrical issue with all lighting from the pump panel back. Sometimes the rotating lights, flashing lights, and even the tailights will not work. All of the front emergency lights will be on and working properly and there will be nothing in the back... The wiring system goes into a "Brain" which is a box with a bunch of yellow wires coming out of it. This box is located in the center of the cab in the ceiling and is easily accessed by two quarter turn screws. There are a bunch of relays in there and when I check connections, sometimes the lights will come back on..... sometimes they won't. I am hoping that someone has a suggestion on what this might be. I have tried trouble shooting but am unable to locate what the problem is, because when I get in there and start looking, it will sometimes "Fix" the problem....which is..... a problem!

Open to any and all suggestions brothers!
    Do you have Electrical prints for the truck? If not maybe the dealer or other service provider has a set to look at. (Lafrance???)

From what you describe, you have a loose connection or something going on with the "brain box" as you called it. See what the make and model of the box is. Is it a multiplexer?

Make sure everything is labeled on that and check all connections including power and ground.

MembersZone Subscriber

Somewhere there is a connection from the frame to the body. Find and check that and find the ground from the frame to the body. If you are losing everything at the same time and it comes back at the same time I would bet on a bad ground.

Forum Member

Default Does the truck have a load manager?

If the truck has a load manager, and it is "on" when the lights go out, try turning the load manager off and see if the lights come back on. If they do, then it the load manager is detecting an under volt problem and you may want to check your alternater or your batteries.

Thread Information