Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 1213
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: If the demographic fits, hope they don't acquit

  1. #221
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I"m pretty much done.

    A young man is dead who shouldn't be, and an idiot with a gun is still out there.
    I'm not sure I disagree with anything here, my issue has been with the idea that since the case did not end in the desired outcome of many, the system is flawed. All the race arguments tossed around and I must wonder if Martin had been white and Zimmerman had done exactly as he had would this even have been a story outside Sanford FL? I doubt it.


  2. #222
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    I'm not sure I disagree with anything here, my issue has been with the idea that since the case did not end in the desired outcome of many, the system is flawed. All the race arguments tossed around and I must wonder if Martin had been white and Zimmerman had done exactly as he had would this even have been a story outside Sanford FL? I doubt it.
    I saw a great post today on one of my friends Facebook .......

    If Treyvon Martin had died in Afghanistan, President Obama wouldn't even know his name.

    The sad thing is that you could substitute Chicago, Detroit, Memphis, Atlanta, Los Angeles or a dozen other US cities for Afghanistan and the same would be true.

    The only thing that made this news was race. Nothing else.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  3. #223
    MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    I hear the Royals are going to name their baby Trayvon.
    It's the perfect media storm...
    RFDACM02 likes this.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

  4. #224
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I agree the young man should not have died.

    Maybe he should have made a better choice.

    And actually last I heard Zimmerman hasn't gotten his gun back yet from the Samford PD, at the request of the DOJ.

    Violation of civil rights anyone?
    Yes. Because walking down the street minding one's own business is such a bad choice. Unless you're being followed by an idiot with a gun.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I saw a great post today on one of my friends Facebook .......

    If Treyvon Martin had died in Afghanistan, President Obama wouldn't even know his name.

    The sad thing is that you could substitute Chicago, Detroit, Memphis, Atlanta, Los Angeles or a dozen other US cities for Afghanistan and the same would be true.

    The only thing that made this news was race. Nothing else.
    Martin would be a hero if he'd died in Afghanistan. Something Zimmerman will never be.

    Only an idiot believes that profiling is acceptable. Which is what Zimmerman did that night.
    Last edited by scfire86; 07-23-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  5. #225
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    GOOD! Let's ****ing close them. We have been having LITERALLY the same two or three debates with LA for two years now....and nothing has changed. I'm 100% positive we could cut & paste replies from any of the hundreds of old "LA-Vs.-The-World" threads and nobody would notice. There's practically no productive discussion in this place anymore.

    I can predict the future of the next 100 threads:

    1) firefighting topic brought up
    2) direct/indirect reference to LA within the first dozen posts
    3) bashing LA for inserting his two cents
    4) COWARD!!
    5) SAFETY!!!
    6) YARDBREATHER, INCOMPETENT!!!
    7) EVERYONE GOES HOME!
    8) YOU WOULDN'T SAVE YOUR OWN FAMILY FROM A CAR FIRE!
    9) NO INSURANCE OFF DUTY!!!
    (repeat 4-9 until a new thread is posted)
    I agree, let's let him post his cancer to the fire service nonsense unanswered. Because that would be so much better.
    scfire86 likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  6. #226
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,543
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  7. #227
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Stupid, irrelevant, and just another way to keep this story alive. Whether you post this or anyone else does.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  8. #228
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Maybe. But Martin would be a hero. Something Zimmerman's defenders can't deny.

    This line is another in long line of dumb***** comments from you that is irrelevant to the topic.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  9. #229
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Maybe. But Martin would be a hero. Something Zimmerman's defenders can't deny.

    This line is another in long line of dumb***** comments from you that is irrelevant to the topic.
    No, this is VERY relevant to the topic.

    I doubt that Obama could give you the name of one American soldier killed in Afghanistan in the past 24 hours without call the DOD.

    And I doubt if you asked Obama he could give you one name of a black kid that was shot by another black kid anywhere in this country in the last 24 hours.

    Yet all he can seem to talk about is Trevyon.

    So yes, his priorities, and the priorities of many black leaders when it comes to black violence is very much relevant.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  10. #230
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    No, this is VERY relevant to the topic.

    I doubt that Obama could give you the name of one American soldier killed in Afghanistan in the past 24 hours without call the DOD.

    And I doubt if you asked Obama he could give you one name of a black kid that was shot by another black kid anywhere in this country in the last 24 hours.

    Yet all he can seem to talk about is Trevyon.

    So yes, his priorities, and the priorities of many black leaders when it comes to black violence is very much relevant.
    It's only relevant to those like you dumbasses like you who believe that profiling is acceptable.

    Zimmerman is a punk. I'm glad Martin got in a few good shots before the coward shot him.
    Last edited by scfire86; 07-23-2013 at 11:29 AM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  11. #231
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    It's only relevant to those like you dumbasses like you who believe that profiling is acceptable.

    Zimmerman is a punk. I'm glad Martin got in a few good shots before the coward shot him.
    Funny ... I don't remember anyone on this thread calling martin a name like a punk, thug or gangster, but you call Zimmerman names.

    Pretty telling.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  12. #232
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Funny ... I don't remember anyone on this thread calling martin a name like a punk, thug or gangster, but you call Zimmerman names.

    Pretty telling.
    Then it's now obvious your memory is as long as your pecker.

    You need to reread some of the posts on this thread.

    It's telling that you still claim to the dumbass belief that profiling is acceptable.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  13. #233
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Then it's now obvious your memory is as long as your pecker.

    You need to reread some of the posts on this thread.

    It's telling that you still claim to the dumbass belief that profiling is acceptable.
    Just read back several pages and didn't find one poster that decided to call Martin names.

    As far as profiling, when there is statistical evidence that indicates that a specific group is more likely to engage in criminal activity than other groups, yes, I pay attention.

    Again, if you wish to call that profiling or that makes me a racist, have at it. I just call it situational awareness.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  14. #234
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post

    Only an idiot believes that profiling is acceptable. Which is what Zimmerman did that night.
    BS. Let's be clear, profiling is a part of human nature. Be it by race, appearance or other, we are all products of our environments, upbringing and experiences. You cannot help how you feel about a certain scenario, it is the sum of the former. We attempt to legislate profiling out of our justice system, but you cannot change what is inside people's heads. Anyone has every right to use every instinct in their body to remain situationally aware.

    Any self-defense program at nearly every level will tell you to be acutely aware of your surroundings and things that look out of place. A black man in a predominantly white neighborhood is going to stick out, not racism, merely observation. Much like a white man in a black neighborhood or any particular ethnic area. Nothing about observing a young black male in a predominantly white neighborhood makes Martin guilty of anything. Nor does it indicate Zimmerman is anything but human. So many espouse to be so enlightened they'd not notice anything out of place, but I believe their either lying (to themselves and all) or completely oblivious to anything around them.

    I know that I notice males (actually females too) wearing hoodies with the hood up. Regardless of color I immediately am more suspicious of them than those without. To me it appears they are trying to disguise their faces. I don't avoid them or follow them or expect them to suddenly commit a crime, but they are noticeably different. I live in an area pretty devoid of much color, an African american, asian or nearly any other visibly difference race stands out a little more, add a hoody and a recent rash of crime and that the profile would be there with no deep rooted racist tendencies, merely general observation, natural suspicion with a heightened awareness.

    Ignoring a person who is visibly different than what you typically see day to day in a certain place, your neighborhood, work, home, is naturally going to be noticeable, it's observation. Add in one or more more factors that might make someone suspicious and then note a rash of crime in the same location and that observation leads to suspicion. In no way does that mean you can target that person, but at the point Zimmerman called the police to report Martin he was just doing what we hope our neighbors would do, and even are asked by the government to do, post 9/11.

    So spare us the enlightened BS and tell us why this case is racist and not a collision of observation, poor judgement and tragedy.
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 07-23-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: keyboard caused misspelled words

  15. #235
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Just read back several pages and didn't find one poster that decided to call Martin names.
    Then you didn't read back far enough. The term thug was used in describing Martin because of his attire by several individuals.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    As far as profiling, when there is statistical evidence that indicates that a specific group is more likely to engage in criminal activity than other groups, yes, I pay attention.
    Okay numbnuts. I actually bothered to do some digging on this stat since I know there is always more to the story when dealing with idiots like yourself. While Blacks may account for nearly half the murders, Blacks also account for half of the murder victims. In 2009, two more White people were murdered than Black people according to the Bureau of Justice. Almost half of of the Black victims were from the ages of 17 to 29. So most of these murders are young urban deaths often related to gang activity.

    Basically there are about 25,000 murders a year, and there are about 42,000,000 Blacks in the United States. Being Black does not mean that one is statistically likely to be a murderer.

    The odds of a cracker like you in Sticksville being killed by a Black male is almost as likely as you getting a degree in mathematics from a university that has standards higher than just showing up (which is about all of your certs) or paying tuition to one of the many diploma mills. A number so small I would need scientific notation to make it fit on one line.

    So keep spouting your racially biased paranoia even though you have a better chance being killed by a heart attack caused by the jelly donuts you regularly consume.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Again, if you wish to call that profiling or that makes me a racist, have at it. I just call it situational awareness.
    No, it's just plain old racism.
    Last edited by scfire86; 07-23-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  16. #236
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    I know that I notice males (actually females too) wearing hoodies with the hood up. Regardless of color I immediately am more suspicious of them than those without.
    I'm not....ever. In Martin's case there is a very good chance he was wearing his hoodie with the hood up because it was FREAKING RAINING.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  17. #237
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    No matter what else happened, if Zimmerman stays in his vehicle no physical confrontation occurs.

    If Trayvon doesn't assault Zimmerman, no physical confrontation occurs.

    Fixed it for you. Up until that occured, no illegal activity on either side occured. And there is NO evidence that the first physical contact was from Zimmerman.

  18. #238
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    It's only relevant to those like you dumbasses like you who believe that profiling is acceptable.

    Zimmerman is a punk. I'm glad Martin got in a few good shots before the coward shot him.
    Those few good shots are what got him killed. Maybe if he weren't a thug he'd still be alive. The trials over, you can stop whining.

  19. #239
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I'm not....ever. In Martin's case there is a very good chance he was wearing his hoodie with the hood up because it was FREAKING RAINING.
    The why doesn't matter, most of us don't ask why when we observe things and we jump to conclusions in a millisecond. I specifically noted that it didn't extend Zimmerman's rights or automatically make him a criminal, merely noting it could make people suspicious regardless of color. This is no way means that we should act on just a single feeling alone, but jut is an explanation of one man's observation is another's profiling. Profiling is human nature, profiling used in place of random searches is wrong, and likely ineffective but a behavior that can be controlled by rules, feelings cannot be changed by others.

  20. #240
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    If Trayvon doesn't assault Zimmerman, no physical confrontation occurs.

    Fixed it for you. Up until that occured, no illegal activity on either side occured. And there is NO evidence that the first physical contact was from Zimmerman.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Those few good shots are what got him killed. Maybe if he weren't a thug he'd still be alive. The trials over, you can stop whining.
    I'm not whining. While there is no proof Zimmerman initiated physical contact, the only one of the two that had a history of violence and thuggish behavior was Zimmerman.

    Your stereotyping of Martin isn't as bad as LAFE's, but almost.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. PG soon.....we hope!?
    By arhaney in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2007, 10:39 AM
  2. Not Exactly Fire Related, But It Fits.
    By MalahatTwo7 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2004, 10:48 AM
  3. Might there be hope?!!
    By BC79er_OLDDELETE in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-09-2004, 11:04 AM
  4. Any Hope?
    By Kiernan in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 08:48 PM
  5. Hope for the best?
    By Bones42 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 08:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts