Like Tree82Likes

Thread: If the demographic fits, hope they don't acquit

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by captnjak View Post
    2-3 times a week on the AP wire is not a lot. Illegal use of guns is so widespread that the AP probably doesn't even find it newsworthy. Do they even report gun crimes other than the super sensational acts? I doubt it.
    Once when a rape, murder or other violent crime is stopped by a firearm in the hands of a victim is enough for me. If you're point is that the bad outweighs the good, your only rational argument from this point is a total ban and confiscation.
    You say the current gun control laws don't work. That is not a reason to give up. What about making them stronger so they do work? Wouldn't that be the logical move?
    I didn't say the don't work, but I think we agree they aren't completely effective. Strengthening the ones we have and actually enforcing them and treating them with the seriousness they deserve would be a damn good start.
    I do agree with those who say we need to lock up the criminals who use guns. Lock em up and throw away the key. But that only works for the ones we catch. How many times do they use that gun before they're caught.
    Right there with you. We'll never know the stats on those not caught.
    Let's face it. It's just too damn easy for the wrong people to get guns in this country.
    Again, we agree, but how do we keep them out of these people hands? Enforce the laws we have. More laws for criminals to break is not the answer, those gang-bangers carrying guns could care less about violating some silly possession charge compared to the acts they have or will carry out. The messed up white kid on the internet will find a way to carry out his plan, through an illegal transaction or by utilizing another weapon readily available on the web. I'm all for strengthening the rules we have, holding gun owners more accountable for the whereabouts of their firearms and even registration, but I fear in the end, these few squirters will still get through the cracks and we'll be one step away from Draconian rules that punish law abiding citizens more than ever.
    Free speech comes with restrictions.
    Commerce comes with restrictions.
    Freedom of religion comes with restrictions.
    These are all constitutionally protected just as gun ownership is. No reason why the right to bear arms should not come with restrictions.
    There are already restrictions, most of which violate the "shall not be infringed" section. Making rules and laws that tie one hand behind law abiding citizen backs while failing to see criminals just ignore the laws they choose is plain nonsense, if we want o make it better it's time to demand the current laws be enforced strictly and sentences carry the weight that our society now places on firearms infractions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    I received this in an email, seems fitting:
    "We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works."

hy·poc·ri·sy
    hiˈpäkrisē
    noun
    the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.
    I like how SC wants one constitutional right (voting) to occur unfettered without those pesky photo IDs from getting in the way v. his demand that (potential) gun owners jump through hoops to exercise that specific constitutional right.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 02-06-2014 at 02:30 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    If mental illness was the only factor I would agree with you. There are others.
    OK, so lets see your list of proposed "irresponsible acts" that in your eyes should preclude firearms ownership or access? Let's dispense with the felonies as that's already on the books and taken far too lightly!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I like how SC wants one constitutional right (voting) to occur unfettered without those pesky photo IDs from getting in the way v. his demand that (potential) gun owners jump through hoops to exercise that specific constitutional right.
    I'm more than happy to discuss Voter ID laws on a separate thread. I thought that would be obvious, then I remembered I was dealing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    OK, so lets see your list of proposed "irresponsible acts" that in your eyes should preclude firearms ownership or access? Let's dispense with the felonies as that's already on the books and taken far too lightly!
    Waving a gun at a cookie selling girl scout is a great example.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Can we add shooting a guy that threw popcorn towards you at a movie?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm more than happy to discuss Voter ID laws on a separate thread. I thought that would be obvious, then I remembered I was dealing with you.

Waving a gun at a cookie selling girl scout is a great example.
    OK so far you have:

1. No felons
    2. no people who've waived guns at Scouts (all Scouts right? no gender issue)
    3. Mental illness? (too difficult?)

Just how would you determine if the man who brought a gun to the door and found a girl scout was unwarranted? Due process? Did he actually point it at her? Brandish it in any manner? I agree being paranoid to the point that you swing open your door, without looking first and have a gun in your hand should be a dis-qualifier, but it's easy to give short examples that lack any other factors, it's much harder to have a real discussion on actual potential rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Can we add shooting a guy that threw popcorn towards you at a movie?
    I think maybe he'll be disqualified under the "Felon" title, but keep being childish about the issue and not bring any actual solutions to the thread, it shows the depth of thought you've put into the issue you feel so passionate about.

Forum Member

OK so far you have:

1. No felons
    2. no people who've waived guns at Scouts (all Scouts right? no gender issue)
    3. Mental illness? (too difficult?)
    I think those are all good examples of individuals who should be denied access to firearms after a background check.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's a couple of the most recent links where law abiding citizens utilized firearms to stop or prevent a crime:

http://woodtv.com/2014/01/31/woman-f...n-on-doorstep/
    http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/246...obbery-suspect

MembersZone Subscriber

I think those are all good examples of individuals who should be denied access to firearms after a background check.
    Hey I get it. Now I too can be a progressive liberal, all I have to say is: "I'm against mass murder". I don't have to offer any details, solutions or explain any of my ideas because everyone should know my heart's in the right place and at the end of the day that's what stops crime.
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 02-06-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: keyboard caused spellig errors
    SPFDRum likes this.

Forum Member

Here's a couple of the most recent links where law abiding citizens utilized firearms to stop or prevent a crime:

That first one sounds like a situation that occurred in Shreveport a couple of weeks ago .... Armed 16 y.o male broke into a home and the 65 y.o Female shot and killed him with a gun she took from the safe after he demanded she open it.

A couple of days later the parents had the nerve to call the media to tell them how wrong this woman was for "taking their child away from them".

And owning guns for defense is wrong in the eyes of many liberals.

Forum Member

Hey I get it. Now I too can be a progressive liberal, all I have to say is: "I'm against mass murder". I don't have to offer any details, solutions or explain any of my ideas because everyone should know my heart's in the right place and at the end of the day that's what stops crime.
    ... Or be consistent by saying that's it's fine to put strings and conditions on one constitutional right but not another.

Forum Member

Great. They would not be prevented from owning a firearm after a universal background check.

I'm not going to put words in your mouth. If that's what you believe, I'm okay with it. Personally I believe the issue deserves more scrutiny and examination than your alternative which is nothing.

Truckie

If mental illness was the only factor I would agree with you. There are others.
    Expound on your view. I have given you 2 solid reasons that will cause universal background checks to fail. What's your solution, plan, or idea to counter that?
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Expound on your view. I have given you 2 solid reasons that will cause universal background checks to fail. What's your solution, plan, or idea to counter that?
    Folks that have a record of illegal violent behavior.

Truckie

Folks that have a record of illegal violent behavior.
    How does that work with juveniles and sealed juvenile records?

So just maybe, those asinine teachers and school administrators should not focus their attention on 6 year olds playing cops and robbers, using their finger as a gun.
    Instead they may want to do a little research, they claim to be educators for cripes sake...
    From the American Psychological Association: http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/warning-signs.aspx#

Its an absolute joke its acceptable to profile a serial killer(because it works), but when it comes to juveniles and terrorists, the PC crowd strokes...
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 02-06-2014 at 04:18 PM.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason

Forum Member

How does that work with juveniles and sealed juvenile records?
    I'm sure those are details that can be addressed.

How do you think they should work?

Truckie

*Illegal use of a firearm in the commission of a crime is a felony. Period. No plea bargaining.

*If you are old enough to make that decision, you are old enough to have that felony permanently on your record as a juvenile and it carries over as an adult.

*Use the APA approved profile and start profiling juveniles.
    George Mason

Forum Member

*Illegal use of a firearm in the commission of a crime is a felony. Period. No plea bargaining.

*If you are old enough to make that decision, you are old enough to have that felony permanently on your record as a juvenile and it carries over as an adult.

*Use the APA approved profile and start profiling juveniles.
    You'll get no opposition from me.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Which has nothing to do with universal background checks.....check and mate.
    It has EVERYTHING to do with background checks. If illegal, police enforced, disarming of legal gun owners can, and does, already occur all background checks does is open the door to record keeping to make confiscation eaiser. No thank you, there is enough invasion into our privacy with telephone and internet spying and drones flying over head already.

You seem so eager to surrender your freedoms, fortunately there are many of us that see this all for what it is. One step leading to another to another and so on. Your stance is ridiculous is that you want a national background check but then you want local judges to be able to eliminate any penalty at all for use of a gun in a crime due to local discretion. Talk about ludicrous.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

You'll get no opposition from me.
    Yet you oppose standardized national sentencing...so how do you support what SPFDRum said? I said no plea bargaining and you jumped all over me talking about local jurisdiction having control over sentencing.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    You seem so eager to surrender your freedoms, fortunately there are many of us that see this all for what it is. One step leading to another to another and so on. Your stance is ridiculous is that you want a national background check but then you want local judges to be able to eliminate any penalty at all for use of a gun in a crime due to local discretion. Talk about ludicrous.
    How is a background check surrendering my freedom?

Only the paranoid believe that.

Forum Member

I'm sure those are details that can be addressed.

How do you think they should work?
    Those "details" need to be addressed before any type of a universal background system is implemented.

The simple fact is that until we fully determine in very specific ways what the disqualifiers will be, and the legislation is written so that no additional disqualifiers can be added via administrative fiat once it is passed and implemented, there will be suspicion that additional disqualifiers will be snuck in which will erode the ability for Americans to "pass" the background check.

That is my most significant fear.

Forum Member

How is a background check surrendering my freedom?

Only the paranoid believe that.
    Anytime the government can so no for the purchase of weapons for arbitrary reasons, that is surrendering a freedom.

See the above post.

Forum Member

Those "details" need to be addressed before any type of a universal background system is implemented.
    Thank you Captain Obvious.

Anytime the government can so no for the purchase of weapons for arbitrary reasons, that is surrendering a freedom.
    Actually it isn't. Being prohibited from owning a firearm for none of the reasons stated would be surrendering or being denied a freedom.

Thread Information