Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 61 FirstFirst ... 202728293031323340 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: If the demographic fits, hope they don't acquit

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Funny, it was notoriously corrupt public officials that illegally confiscated the legal fire arms of law abiding citizens in Louisiana...
    I don't disagree. I've never supported the actions of those individuals.

I'm advocating universal background checks to put up at least one more roadblock to an individual that shouldn't be allowed to possess a firearm.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I don't disagree. I've never supported the actions of those individuals.

I'm advocating universal background checks to put up at least one more roadblock to an individual that shouldn't be allowed to possess a firearm.
    The entire premise is faulty and even you know it. Criminals do not buy guns where those background checks would be done. As far as preventing the mentally ill from getting firearms, ever hear of HIPPA? Are you going to allow an entire network of background check workers access to medical records? Ooops sorry that is illegal.

The only roadblock is to law abiding citizens where a corrupt regime will decide who can and who can't buy weapons based on what? Circumstantial evidence? Vendettas of neighbors who don't like the fact that you legally own firearms? Overzealous politicians? Sorry NO! there is already a background check in place in Wisconsin forpistols and that to me is too much already. Records of firearms have a really long history of leading to government confiscation.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    The entire premise is faulty and even you know it.
    The premise of doing nothing is faultier and you know it.

The premise of doing nothing is faultier and you know it.
    The premise of doing something that accomplishes nothing but makes the you feel good because you can pretend to have accompished something is beyond ridiculous and still faulty.

Enforce the gun laws already on the books. Set unchangeable, non-pleabargainable sentences for gun crimes, stop pretending that feel good BS laws that penalize no one but law abiding citizens actually slow gun violence, and sit down with something other than an anti-gun agenda. THEN maybe something serious can be done. But you being a mouthpiece for an administration that has openly said over and over they want stricter gun control is foolish. Your pathetic "I never called for a ban on guns" sounds so familiar...
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

The premise of doing something that accomplishes nothing but makes the you feel good because you can pretend to have accompished something is beyond ridiculous and still faulty.
    You don't know if it will accomplish nothing. Your claim of confiscation is also speculation.

We do know that a roadblock to those who shouldn't have access to firearms (like the "responsible" gun owner who just shot someone for texting) is a good thing.

You don't know if it will accomplish nothing. Your claim of confiscation is also speculation.

We do know that a roadblock to those who shouldn't have access to firearms (like the "responsible" gun owner who just shot someone for texting) is a good thing.
    You have no proof that any previous gun law passed has reduced crime. The anti-gun policies of chicago have done nothing excpet leave the citizens unable to protect themselves against criminals. Chicago has one of the highest murder rates in the nation co-existing with the strictest gun control laws. Maybe you are right...what a phucking joke.

Odds are, as the shooter was a retired police officer, he would have passed the background check and still been able to make the purchase. So, um, tell me again the REAL purpose of background checks? Nevermind, we already know, registration is the first step to confiscation. It has happened before in this country and will happen again.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    No, you can agree to disagree with my being right, but I never will agree with your wrong, unsupportable, and easily refutable misinformation.

No, you can agree to disagree with my being right, but I never will agree with your wrong, unsupportable, and easily refutable misinformation.
    The citizens of numerous other countries would disagree with you. But what do they know, they only live there.

The citizens of numerous other countries would disagree with you. But what do they know, they only live there.
    Frankly. I don't give a damn what other countries do. Or are you in favor of forced female castration? Open and legal drug use? Public stoning to death of criminals? Cutting off the hands of thieves? Having women unable to show their faces in public and being treated as second class citizens or even property to be dealt away? Children sold into the sex trade? Maybe you like some of those great policies of other nations too?

You see SC, this is your tactic, when you know you are getting your a z z handed to you you broaden the topic to try and hide your indefensible position.
    SPFDRum and BoxAlarm187 like this.

Frankly. I don't give a damn what other countries do. Or are you in favor of forced female castration? Open and legal drug use? Public stoning to death of criminals? Cutting off the hands of thieves? Having women unable to show their faces in public and being treated as second class citizens or even property to be dealt away? Children sold into the sex trade? Maybe you like some of those great policies of other nations too?
    Nope. Just in favor of universal background checks for the purchase of firearms.

Unfortunately, your speculation claim is also a fallacy. Confiscation has already occurred to law abiding, legal gun owners. That fact is irrefutable.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Nope. Just in favor of universal background checks for the purchase of firearms.
    Nope, you are just an agitating mouthpiece for a president, and his party, selling your freedoms down the river and you are pathetically too stupid to know it.

Funny how when I listed some of the more wonderful policies of some of the countries around the world you want to emulate you have no comeback. You really should work harder at not making it easy to make you look like the buffoon you are. Sorry, but I am not your little friend on the other topic and I will continue to counter your idiocy on this topic until you are completely exposed for what you are.

Unfortunately, your speculation claim is also a fallacy. Confiscation has already occurred to law abiding, legal gun owners. That fact is irrefutable.
    In one instance. Background checks have also prevented individuals from getting legal access to firearms.

That fact is also irrefutable.

Nope, you are just an agitating mouthpiece for a president, and his party, selling your freedoms down the river and you are pathetically too stupid to know it.
    Sorry you feel so oppressed. I don't. I'm able to do all things I was doing before he was elected. Including purchasing a firearm.

Funny how when I listed some of the more wonderful policies of some of the countries around the world you want to emulate you have no comeback. You really should work harder at not making it easy to make you look like the buffoon you are. Sorry, but I am not your little friend on the other topic and I will continue to counter your idiocy on this topic until you are completely exposed for what you are.
    Funny because my point has always been universal background checks. You are constantly trying to deflect the topic to confiscation, tyrannical governments, and foreign policy.

Forum Member

Yet you judge EVERY gun owner because of the actions of a very, very few. With every single one of them breaking numerous laws already on the books.
    You can pretend otherwise, but your continued posts on restrictions on the legal gun owner speaks volumes...

hy�poc�ri�sy
    hiˈp�krisē
    noun
    the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense
    Where exactly did I pass judgment on gun owners? I believe some form of restrictions should be placed on the purchase/sale of guns. This is not a condemnation of gun owners or those who seek to become gun owners. I'm sorry but it's not. It's just not. Whether you agree or disagree doesn't change that.

What restrictions did I post concerning legal gun owners?
    Background checks have been mentioned frequently. This is not a restriction on legal gun owners. It is simply a condition of ownership. We accept conditions on ownership of many items in our lives. I just don't see why guns can't be included. An individual may or may not believe that it will help reduce gun violence, but that does not make it a restriction.

How am I being hypocritical? What moral high ground did I claim? You know nothing about what my behavior does or does not conform to.

I don't see the real harm in background checks. I don't have a real concern that the government will be coming around and confiscating legal guns any time soon, New Orleans notwithstanding. That was one incident almost 10 years ago and it was under very unusual circumstances. I don't condone it; I just don't really believe it will be happening on a regular basis. Or even a sporadic basis.

Part of the problem is the inconsistencies from state to state in both the laws on the books and the enforcement of those laws. New York City cannot prosecute dealers in Virginia who break the laws in Virginia. Virginia doesn't much care that guns are bought there illegally because they are immediately moved to New York. No offense to Virginians or New Yorkers; just using them as an example. Would federal laws aimed at stopping this form of smuggling be objectionable to legal gun owners? If so, why?

Wait, let me guess! Some will say that New York City, and any other place with a gun problem, should fix their own mess. That it's not a gun problem, it's a criminal problem. Guns don't kill people; people kill people. Right? That's all well and good until stray bullets start killing children in schools and playgrounds and even in their homes. The gun needs the person and the person needs the gun. Pretty hard to argue that. Yes we should go after criminals. But a multi-pronged approach that includes measures aimed against ILLEGAL guns makes even more sense.

I don't believe that background checks are a form of punishment to gun owners.
    I don't believe that anti-smuggling laws are a form of punishment to gun owners.

In one instance. Background checks have also prevented individuals from getting legal access to firearms.

That fact is also irrefutable.
    FAR MORE than one instance. They don't all make big headlines. Two trumped up weapons charges by overzealous law enforcement agencies cost almost 80 lives.

Sorry you feel so oppressed. I don't. I'm able to do all things I was doing before he was elected. Including purchasing a firearm.

Yet, like a lamb to slaughter you willingly give away your rights. Sorry not me. There is no proof that what you advocate will do anything except be another reason to deny law abiding citizens the right to purchase firearms.

Funny because my point has always been universal background checks. You are constantly trying to deflect the topic to confiscation, tyrannical governments, and foreign policy.

This is hilarious. You bring the topic of emulating other countries gun control policies into the topic and when I made you look like an ignorant a z z that hadn't thought out your argument you try to make it look like I brought foreign policy into this.

This is exactly why I believe you are nothing but a pathetic old man with nothing better to do than agitate on here. Geezus, go find something else to do besides make yourself look senile all over an international forum.
    Too bad this is all you have in retirement. Some of us teach after we retire, some of us still run with our local volly FDs, some start a secondary career. You sit on the internet and try to make yourself relevant. Pretty pathetic.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 02-09-2014 at 12:44 PM.

FAR MORE than one instance. They don't all make big headlines. Two trumped up weapons charges by overzealous law enforcement agencies cost almost 80 lives.
    And more than two cases of people trying to buy weapons were stopped by background checks.

Yet, like a lamb to slaughter you willingly give away your rights. Sorry not me. There is no proof that what you advocate will do anything except be another reason to deny law abiding citizens the right to purchase firearms.
    Now you're just being silly. You sound like that kook that used to be on Fox News, Glenn Beck. He's running around right now claiming that Obama is going to put dissenters into interment camps.

Watch out Fyredup here come the black helicopters from the government.......thwup thwup thwup.

Do you labor under the belief that you and your friends being armed with your little pea shooters are going to be able to take on the full force of the modern US military?

One of the great disconnects with those who have that mindset is that they believe their guns will protect them from a tyrant with access to the US military. Then they also demand the US military be funded to the point where it is equivalent to the next 20 nations combined.

Keep dreaming that your little band of merry marauders will be willing and able to stand up to a military machine that has fighter planes, armed drone technology, and nuclear submarines.
    Last edited by scfire86; 02-09-2014 at 12:59 PM.

And more than two cases of people trying to buy weapons were stopped by background checks.

So if we already have background checks, that you claim have stopped people from buying guns that shouldn't have them, then why do we need the background checks you speak of?

Now you're just being silly. You sound like that kook that used to be on Fox News, Glenn Beck. He's running around right claiming that Obama is going to put dissenters into interment camps.

Golly and you sounded like Chicken Little during the 8 years of Goerge Bush as President. Funny how YOUR concerns are oh so relevant and important and everyone else's are the rantings of a lunatic. It is guys like you that drive guys like me away from the left. You are a drone, constantly repeating the company line. Try to think for yourself, just one time.

I think Glenn Beck is crazy and nice attempt to divert the topic yet again. You must know you are losing here and losing big.

Watch out Fyredup here come the black helicopters from the government.......thwup thwup thwup.

Actually, it is more the buzz of bugged phone lines, the hum of drones, and the sound of the DHS army with their heavy weaponry and armored cars. I find it hysterical that every podunk sheriff's department needs an armored car or 6 to combat the terrorist threat... No one seems to bat an eye at the militarism of our local police departments.

Do you labor under the belief that you and your friends being armed with your little pea shooters are going to be able to take on the full force of the modern US military?

My firearms are sporting arms. But golly smart guy, the Afghan militants have seemed to do a pretty good job with mostly small arms in holding off first the Soviets, and then dragging the US into a mostly stalemated protracted war.

The element that is seldom taken into account when people like you blather on about a citizens uprising is that no one knows which side the average soldier will take. Will they step inline with a tyrannical government and shoot and kill American citizens? Or will they join the rebellion and fight against loyalist government troops? I believe there will be a split of the military and those that choose to join the rebellion will not walk away wihout their weaponry. Now having said that I do not believe that is a scenario we are on the verge of, nor do I hope it ever happens. It would be horrific and make the first civil war look like an NFL Sunday. The death toll and carnage would be unbelievable. So do take me out of your conspiracy/rebellion mindset. But the truth is the Founding Fathers believed the populace MUST be armed to protect itself against a tyrannical government, you may not like that but do some research and you will see that I am right.

One of the great disconnects with those who have that mindset is that they believe their guns will protect from a tyrant with access to the US military. Then they also demand the US military be funded to the point where it is equivalent to the next 20 nations combined.

Who is this they you speak of? Just some more of your company line blathering? I believe we need a strong military but there is so much institutionalized waste that it is almost impossible to eliminate at this point without almost starting all over again.

Keep dreaming that your little band of merry marauders will be willing and able to stand up to a military machine that has fighter planes, armed drone technology, and nuclear submarines.

Again, you are laughable in your stretch to make me look like a Doomsday Prepper Militia-man. But then again, that is another tactic of the anti-gun crowd when they have nothing of substance left.
    Get the CNA to wipe the applesauce off your chin, have her roll you back out to the sun porch, and dream of your days of glory when what you thought was almost relevant.

Thread Information