Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 61 FirstFirst ... 212829303132333441 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: If the demographic fits, hope they don't acquit

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    So if we already have background checks, that you claim have stopped people from buying guns that shouldn't have them, then why do we need the background checks you speak of?
    Because they are not universal across all states.

Golly and you sounded like Chicken Little during the 8 years of Goerge Bush as President. Funny how YOUR concerns are oh so relevant and important and everyone else's are the rantings of a lunatic. It is guys like you that drive guys like me away from the left. You are a drone, constantly repeating the company line. Try to think for yourself, just one time.
    Please point me to an example of where I stated Bush was going to throw me (or anyone) into an internment camp.

I think Glenn Beck is crazy and nice attempt to divert the topic yet again. You must know you are losing here and losing big.
    You sound just like him.

Actually, it is more the buzz of bugged phone lines, the hum of drones, and the sound of the DHS army with their heavy weaponry and armored cars. I find it hysterical that every podunk sheriff's department needs an armored car or 6 to combat the terrorist threat... No one seems to bat an eye at the militarism of our local police departments.
    I remember all too well how conservatives reacted during the Bush Administration when those programs were enacted. Critics were told they had nothing to worry about unless they were doing something illegal. What changed after Jan., 2009 for conservatives to be concerned about privacy today?

My firearms are sporting arms. But golly smart guy, the Afghan militants have seemed to do a pretty good job with mostly small arms in holding off first the Soviets, and then dragging the US into a mostly stalemated protracted war.
    They were also being supplied by outsiders. What outside nation will come to rescue of American "patriots?"

The element that is seldom taken into account when people like you blather on about a citizens uprising is that no one knows which side the average soldier will take. Will they step inline with a tyrannical government and shoot and kill American citizens? Or will they join the rebellion and fight against loyalist government troops? I believe there will be a split of the military and those that choose to join the rebellion will not walk away wihout their weaponry. Now having said that I do not believe that is a scenario we are on the verge of, nor do I hope it ever happens. It would be horrific and make the first civil war look like an NFL Sunday. The death toll and carnage would be unbelievable. So do take me out of your conspiracy/rebellion mindset. But the truth is the Founding Fathers believed the populace MUST be armed to protect itself against a tyrannical government, you may not like that but do some research and you will see that I am right.
    The tyrant will find soldiers who will indeed do exactly that under the guise of nationalism. Many instances in world history to support that belief.

Who is this they you speak of? Just some more of your company line blathering? I believe we need a strong military but there is so much institutionalized waste that it is almost impossible to eliminate at this point without almost starting all over again.
    Wackos who believe in keeping their guns and funding the military.

Again, you are laughable in your stretch to make me look like a Doomsday Prepper Militia-man. But then again, that is another tactic of the anti-gun crowd when they have nothing of substance left.
    Your argument against universal background checks immediately dissolved into a fight against tyranny. So if that stretch is being made, it is because you opened the door.

Get the CNA to wipe the applesauce off your chin, have her roll you back out to the sun porch, and dream of your days of glory when what you thought was almost relevant.
    Hahaha....very funny. Keep up with your arguments about my mental status. You are the one acting crazy.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Because they are not universal across all states.

Yet you refuse to support universal sentencing for gun crimes. Hypocrisy at its best.

Okay here's a scenario for you. You have an anti-gun state like california where a background check shows for some reason you aren't allowed to buy a firearm. The anti-gun judge at their discretion throws you in state prison for 5 years for a firearm's violation. Yet in a pro-gun state the pro-gun judge says 30 days in the county jail. Why would you support the possibility of that happening? If you expect federal standardized rules, then you go along with federal standardized sentencing.

Please point me to an example of where I stated Bush was going to throw me (or anyone) into an internment camp.

Nice diversion yet again. Please show me an example of where I said Obama was going to thow me (or anyone) into an internment camp.

You sound just like him.

That's funny. When someone disagrees with you you automaticaly paint them as a right wing wacko. That's some funny stuff right there. My conservative friends would laugh you right off the page if they heard that knowing what a strong Union man I am.

This is why it is so easy to paint you as the senile old man in the home drooling applesauce, or is it Tapioca today?

I remember all too well how conservatives reacted during the Bush Administration when those programs were enacted. Critics were told they had nothing to worry about unless they were doing something illegal. What changed after Jan., 2009 for conservatives to be concerned about privacy today?

I didn't like the start of them then and I don't like the expansion of them under the current administration. So good luck trying to paint me with that brush.

They were also being supplied by outsiders. What outside nation will come to rescue of American "patriots?"

Hard to tell. But if you honestly believe guns and ammunition are so easy to find maybe they won't need outside supplies. Especially if even 1/3 of the military turned and became rebels.

It's funny how leftist like you love to use the word Patriot as an insult. Good thing you weren't around in 1776, we'd probably still be a British colony. You know, rebels and all fighting the status quo.

The tyrant will find soldiers who will indeed do exactly that under the guise of nationalism. Many instances in world history to support that belief.

I guess I have more faith in the average American than you do. I don't like drones, whether they are right or left wing drones. I like people that think for themselves and have a sense of right and wrong developed throughout their life. Not people that blindly follow and chant the mantra of their leaders.

Wackos who believe in keeping their guns and funding the military.

As opposed to wackos that fall in line, do as they are told and feel good about themselves for depriving other citizens of their rights. Including the right to privacy.

Your argument against universal background checks immediately dissolved into a fight against tyranny. So if that stretch is being made, it is because you opened the door.

Your argument supporting universal background checks is simplistic, without basis, with no data to show it works. You brought tyranny into this topic when I mentioned a loss of rights. Funny though that you don't see the actual connection.

Hahaha....very funny. Keep up with your arguments about my mental status. You are the one acting crazy.

90% of your entire argument here is an attempt to discredit me and prove that I am a wacko doomsday prepper militia man. if you don't like the name calling and slander then stop using it as your primary tactic when you are getting your a z z handed to you.
    Do you ever post anything about firefighting here other than attacks on LA? Because I don't recall, in recent months anyways, you doing so.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 02-09-2014 at 05:20 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Yet you refuse to support universal sentencing for gun crimes. Hypocrisy at its best.
    I already stated I believe in judicial discretion. That is the role of the judiciary.

Okay here's a scenario for you. You have an anti-gun state like california where a background check shows for some reason you aren't allowed to buy a firearm. The anti-gun judge at their discretion throws you in state prison for 5 years for a firearm's violation. Yet in a pro-gun state the pro-gun judge says 30 days in the county jail. Why would you support the possibility of that happening? If you expect federal standardized rules, then you go along with federal standardized sentencing.
    I don't deal in hypotheticals.

Nice diversion yet again. Please show me an example of where I said Obama was going to thow me (or anyone) into an internment camp.
    I didn't you said that. I said Glenn Beck said it.

That's funny. When someone disagrees with you you automaticaly paint them as a right wing wacko. That's some funny stuff right there. My conservative friends would laugh you right off the page if they heard that knowing what a strong Union man I am.
    I said you sound like him. If you believe that makes you sound like a wacko, that's your problem.

This is why it is so easy to paint you as the senile old man in the home drooling applesauce, or is it Tapioca today?
    It's also why it is so easy to paint you as a wacko? Did you not take your librium today?

I didn't like the start of them then and I don't like the expansion of them under the current administration. So good luck trying to paint me with that brush.
    I didn't say you. I said conservatives.

Hard to tell. But if you honestly believe guns and ammunition are so easy to find maybe they won't need outside supplies. Especially if even 1/3 of the military turned and became rebels.
    You assume an act that might not occur. After the initial rebellion, then what? It would become a war of attrition. Though I enjoy chuckling at scenario you have to hope happens but probably won't. The smart tyrant will have bought off the military to get their support.

It's funny how leftist like yu love to use the word Patiot as an insult. Good thing you weren't around in 1776, we'd probably still be a British colony. You know rebels and all fighting the status quo.
    In the case of those claiming to be patriotic who in fact believe they are defending the Constitution when they are doing just the opposite.

[QUOTE=FyredUp;1399955]I guess I have more faith in the average American than you do. I don't like drones, whether they are right or left wing drones. I like people that think for themselves and have a sense of right and wrong developed throughout their life. Not people that blindly follow and chant the mantra of their leaders.[QUOTE=FyredUp;13]

So do I. That's why I believe your concern over a tyrant confiscating weapons at the national level is crazy talk.

As opposed to wackos that fall in line, do as they are told and feel good about themselves for depriving other citizens of their rights. Including the right to privacy.
    Which group is that?

Your argument supporting universal background checks is simplistic, without basis, with no date to show it works. You brought tyranny into this topic when I mentioned a loss of rights. Funny though that you don't see the actual connection.
    What rights are you losing? You would still have the right to bear arms.

90% of your entire argument here is an attempt to discredit me and prove that I am a wacko doomsday prepper militia man. if you don't like the name calling and slander then stop using it as your primary tactic when you are getting your a z z handed to you.
    That means so much coming from someone whose called me senile, a sheep being led to slaughter, etc.

Do you ever post anything about firefighting here other than attacks on LA? Because I don't recall, in recent months anyways, you doing so.
    I've been retired now for some time. My thoughts on tactics were fairly simplistic and never failed me. Straight stream to the seat of the fire. Fight from the unburned to the burned. If you can't remove the patient from the vehicle, remove the vehicle from the patient. One foot in the burn one foot in the green. My crews got the job done and I never had an injury that required more than a brief rehab.
    Last edited by scfire86; 02-09-2014 at 05:23 PM.

[QUOTE=scfire86;1399967]I already stated I believe in judicial discretion. That is the role of the judiciary.

I believe in allowing each individual state the right to deal with gun laws how they see fit within their borders.

I don't deal in hypotheticals.

Your whole case for universal mandatory federal level background checks and their effectiveness is based on a hypothetical. Nice try, but no points will be awarded.

I didn't you said that. I said Glenn Beck said it.

I said you sound like him. If you believe that makes you sound like a wacko, that's your problem.

Nice try to discredit me. Funny how you cry about being called senile yet you name call and try to character assasinate every person that disagrees with you.

It's also why it is so easy to paint you as a wacko? Did you not take your librium today?

If you weren't such a pathetic brain washed robot you would be funny.

I didn't say you. I said conservatives.

Nice diversion yet again. You know damn well you meant me inclusive when you made that comment.

You assume an act that might not occur. After the initial rebellion, then what? It would become a war of attrition. Though I enjoy chuckling at scenario you have to hope happens but probably won't. The smart tyrant will have bought off the military to get their support.

Are you stupid or what? I said I hope it never happens. Your tactics of openly lying about what I say show a serious character flaw or mental defect in you.

In the case of those claiming to be patriotic who in fact believe they are defending the Constitution when they are doing just the opposite.

And the current bypassing of the Constitution and legislative process by executive order is defending the constitution? Really? Even you can't be that pathetically stupid.

[QUOTE=FyredUp;1399955]I guess I have more faith in the average American than you do. I don't like drones, whether they are right or left wing drones. I like people that think for themselves and have a sense of right and wrong developed throughout their life. Not people that blindly follow and chant the mantra of their leaders.

So do I. That's why I believe your concern over a tyrant confiscating weapons at the national level is crazy talk.

Sorry, but the evidence is there, federally supported, not only by this administration, but by many other democratic governors and legislators.

Which group is that?

You should know. You are a member and a mouthpiece for them.

What rights are you losing? You would still have the right to bear arms.

The losses have already occurred in some places, examples are types of previously legal firearms banned and magazine capacities restricted.

That means so much coming from someone whose called me senile, a sheep being led to slaughter, etc.

Sorry of you can't handle the truth. But then again go along to get along is so much easier, isn't it?

I've been retired now for some time. My thoughts on tactics were fairly simplistic and never failed me. Straight stream to the seat of the fire. Fight from the unburned to the burned. If you can't remove the patient from the vehicle, remove the vehicle from the patient. One foot in the burn one foot in the green. My crews got the job done and I never had an injury that required more than a brief rehab.

Yeah, well tactics and fuels have changed since you retired. you do know the horses are gone now too right?
    Oh look! It's 5:30 on the West Coast. Time for you to go to bed!
    Maybe it's not too late

I believe in allowing each individual state the right to deal with gun laws how they see fit within their borders.
    Good for you.

Your whole case for universal mandatory federal level background checks and their effectiveness is based on a hypothetical. Nice try, but no points will be awarded.
    Except there are cases where an individual was denied being able to purchase a firearm AFTER a background check.

Nice try to discredit me. Funny how you cry about being called senile yet you name call and try to character assasinate every person that disagrees with you.
    You're very self conscious. Can't help you with that.

If you weren't such a pathetic brain washed robot you would be funny.
    You're funny and don't know it.

Nice diversion yet again. You know damn well you meant me inclusive when you made that comment.
    See my earlier comment on being self conscious.

Are you stupid or what? I said I hope it never happens. Your tactics of openly lying about what I say show a serious character flaw or mental defect in you.
    Yet a tyrant confiscating weapons is your primary opposition.

And the current bypassing of the Constitution and legislative process by executive order is defending the constitution? Really? Even you can't be that pathetically stupid.
    Yup. He isn't doing anything that isn't allowed by the Constitution.

I guess I have more faith in the average American than you do. I don't like drones, whether they are right or left wing drones. I like people that think for themselves and have a sense of right and wrong developed throughout their life. Not people that blindly follow and chant the mantra of their leaders.
    Yet I hear your same comments from folks like Glenn Beck and Wayne LaPierre.

Sorry, but the evidence is there, federally supported, not only by this administration, but by many other democratic governors and legislators.
    When did this administration confiscate weapons?

The losses have already occurred in some places, examples are types of previously legal firearms banned and magazine capacities restricted.
    None of which affects your right to bear arms.

Sorry of you can't handle the truth. But then again go along to get along is so much easier, isn't it?
    You tell me.

Yeah, well tactics and fuels have changed since you retired. you do know the horses are gone now too right?
    Funny. Like I never heard that before. Don't give up your day job.

Time for you to go to bed!
    Yeah. Wife just got home for visiting in-laws. So I'll be busy for awhile. Have a great evening.

I thought you were leaving...

Believe what you will. I will believe what the founding father's intent was. Shall not be infringed...Seems pretty clear.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Scumbags will always find a way to put their hands on firearms. The only thing that stops a scumbag with a gun; is a good guy with a gun. <---UNIVERSAL TRUTH.

No amount of new prohibitive laws will prevent the criminal element from arming themselves. Prohibition didn't work with alcohol, it aint working with drugs and guns are no exception. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

I encourage everyone to exercise their 2nd amendment rights and remain vigilant. Its a sick world.
    FyredUp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FF-Andy View Post
    Scumbags will always find a way to put their hands on firearms. The only thing that stops a scumbag with a gun; is a good guy with a gun. <---UNIVERSAL TRUTH.

No amount of new prohibitive laws will prevent the criminal element from arming themselves. Prohibition didn't work with alcohol, it aint working with drugs and guns are no exception. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

I encourage everyone to exercise their 2nd amendment rights and remain vigilant. Its a sick world.
    So let's get rid of murder laws as well since they haven't stopped murders.

I thought you were leaving...

Believe what you will. I will believe what the founding father's intent was. Shall not be infringed...Seems pretty clear.
    Hahahaha....even the Founding Fathers infringed on the rights to bear arms. What they wrote and what they practiced weren't even close.

Free blacks and slaves WEREN'T allowed to bear arms. They also required that all muskets be regularly inspected and registered. The folks who wrote the Second Amendment were all in favor of a "well-regulated militia" whose members had to declare, register and present to government agents on a regular basis all of their firearms.

You really show your ignorance of history when you bring them up.

Thanks for that.
    Last edited by scfire86; 02-10-2014 at 07:21 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

That's a pretty tired line. I think we can all agree that laws work at preventing normally responsible people from acting on single event feelings and stop criminals that have been caught from committing further crimes. So throw that out everytime, but it's flat out a stretch of any imaginations.

Any laws can work if the offender is caught and properly tried and sentenced. This prevents further crimes. The gun and felony laws we have now would accomplish this better if more strictly followed. The ones most propose will have little to no measurable effect on first time crime, except to help make them easier by disarming law abiding citizens.

Forum Member

You don't know if it will accomplish nothing. Your claim of confiscation is also speculation.

We do know that a roadblock to those who shouldn't have access to firearms (like the "responsible" gun owner who just shot someone for texting) is a good thing.
    And likely up to that point, they were a responsible gun owner and would have passed a background check.

So a Universal Background check would have not have prevented this event.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Posted by SC:
    I already stated I believe in judicial discretion. That is the role of the judiciary.

Then you should also believe in the role of the states to set their own laws regarding the purchase of firearms.

You can't have it both ways.

I guess I'm a beleiver in state's rights.

Eliminate the EPA and allow the states to determine what kind of environmental laws they want.

Get rid of the Education Department and allow the states the manage their own educational requirements.

The simple fact is much of what the federal government does should be done at the state level, and that includes the regulation of gun sales, which should be minimum as it's a right guaranteed by the Constitution.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 02-10-2014 at 09:10 AM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Aren't you the one that keeps saying stay on topic? Yet at every turn you divert into ridiculousness.
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

The folks who wrote the Second Amendment were all in favor of a "well-regulated militia" whose members had to declare, register and present to government agents on a regular basis all of their firearms.
    There is a significant amount of documentation to the contrary. The Founding Fathers, nearly to a man, repeated note that individual ownership of firearms was requisite to ensure a government did not become all powerful. Makes sense if you recall our history during their time.

In DC vs. Heller, the SCOTUS backed this up stating that the the "Well regulated militia" had nothing to do with military service, reserves, or any state/federal organized group, but in fact were those able-bodied men who were available for conscription.

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    That's a pretty tired line. I think we can all agree that laws work at preventing normally responsible people from acting on single event feelings and stop criminals that have been caught from committing further crimes. So throw that out everytime, but it's flat out a stretch of any imaginations.
    So is the line that since criminals will get guns we should do nothing.

There is a significant amount of documentation to the contrary. The Founding Fathers, nearly to a man, repeated note that individual ownership of firearms was requisite to ensure a government did not become all powerful. Makes sense if you recall our history during their time.

In DC vs. Heller, the SCOTUS backed this up stating that the the "Well regulated militia" had nothing to do with military service, reserves, or any state/federal organized group, but in fact were those able-bodied men who were available for conscription.
    Never said anything to the contrary. I stated they had no problem infringing on the right to bear arms for selected groups like blacks and slaves. They also required that all muskets be regularly inspected and registered as part of that "well regulated militia."

I have not advocated anything would prohibit individual ownership.

Aren't you the one that keeps saying stay on topic? Yet at every turn you divert into ridiculousness.
    Making a valid analogy. I can see how you wouldn't comprehend it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Posted by SC:

Then you should also believe in the role of the states to set their own laws regarding the purchase of firearms.

You can't have it both ways.

I guess I'm a beleiver in state's rights.

Eliminate the EPA and allow the states to determine what kind of environmental laws they want.

Get rid of the Education Department and allow the states the manage their own educational requirements.

The simple fact is much of what the federal government does should be done at the state level, and that includes the regulation of gun sales, which should be minimum as it's a right guaranteed by the Constitution.
    I said I believe in judicial discretion. That applies to the role of the judiciary. You're obviously confused by what that means.

Any laws can work if the offender is caught and properly tried and sentenced. This prevents further crimes. The gun and felony laws we have now would accomplish this better if more strictly followed. The ones most propose will have little to no measurable effect on first time crime, except to help make them easier by disarming law abiding citizens.
    Except for in the 2 cases I posted above....where normally responsible people killed 2 other people.

And trying them and sentencing them....too late....they already killed.

Apparently, in an area where carrying a gun is legal....that threat of the other guy having a gun doesn't stop shootings.

Guns aren't the problem....people are. 2 guys who simply could have walked away....chose to shoot instead. Now we learn that 1 of them ordered pizza, left the scene, and never bothered to call 911. Not the guns fault.....people.

We can discuss and argue all day for months...but we're getting no where. Background checks would not have stopped this. Restricting what firearms can be carried would not have stopped this. There was no history to indicate this guys weapons should have been confiscated. No laws, no punishments would have stopped this. It was a person's choice to act.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

It was a person's choice to act.
    Exactly. Yet it's always the same dead horse augment when it comes to guns:
    -universal background checks
    -limit on clip/magazine capacity
    -ban a certain types of gun look
    -premise gun bans
    -misused and outright false fear mongering gun descriptions, IE "assault weapon"

Funny none of the above is going to prevent a "person's choice to act".
    The fact of the matter, and the sooner we as a society realize this, the better-there are just bad people out there. No mater how many feel good laws you pass, bans you put into place, restrictions you develop, there are people that are just going to break the law. They are called criminals. Lets start with enforcing existing laws, end plea bargains, and put the blame solely where it belong, that very same criminal.
    But lets be honest, it's easier to restrict the law abiding citizen. Why, the very fact they are law abiding. It saves all the consternation of being called a racist or being accused of profiling....
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 02-10-2014 at 11:33 AM.
    FyredUp likes this.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Except for in the 2 cases I posted above....where normally responsible people killed 2 other people.
    And I'm sure there were people who were prevented from owning weapons.

Thread Information