Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ... 23456781555 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 1213
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: If the demographic fits, hope they don't acquit

  1. #81
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WVFD705 View Post
    For those that are curious, here are the jury instructions:

    http://www.flcourts18.org/PDF/Press_...structions.pdf
    It's pretty clear to me from those instructions that they had no choice but to find Zimmerman not guilty by means of justifiable homicide. I understand and agree with Fyred up that Zimmermans' actions led to the eventual death, but because none of those acts were in themselves illegal, find no reason to beleaguer the point. The fact is that this case did nothing to make anything like this any easier in the future, on the contrary it proved that even when the shooter and police agree that it's a justifiable self-defense shooting the DA can and likely will bring charges and you will be tried in court. Even when you defend yourself legally you may be incarcerated and you will have to fight to prove your innocence while the state does their best to prove your guilt. Again these observations are based solely on the known facts of the case and not what-ifs or those things that can not be proven.

    If, if you legally concealed carry a firearm at any time, be very cognizant of for every action there is at least an equal and opposite reaction, and in the case of human perception that opposite reaction can far exceed "equal". You should be well versed in the aspects of Ability, Opportunity and Jeopardy and be damn sure if you present that weapon you had no other chance or choices because regardless of the fine details of any set of laws, it could suck real bad for a really long time, even if your totally in the right.


  2. #82
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    9,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    And I fully agree that they basically have nothing, but after all we are dealing with a DOJ that had no issues with a group of Black Panthers in combat garb "hanging out" outside of a polling place.
    Doing nothing more significant than opening the door for an elderly white woman on her way to the polling booth.

    Since you are such a firm believer in the criminal justice system, then I'm sure you must also believe O.J. was not guilty of the crimes he was accused of committing.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  3. #83
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    9,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    You should be well versed in the aspects of Ability, Opportunity and Jeopardy and be damn sure if you present that weapon you had no other chance or choices because regardless of the fine details of any set of laws, it could suck real bad for a really long time, even if your totally in the right.
    A great point. We are to believe Zimmerman also had no other choice. He had the choice to back away from Martin. Assuming Zimmerman didn't start the physical altercation.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  4. #84
    Forum Member snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I have no issues in "dancing around" the race cards.

    Blacks are statistically more likely to commit crime. When looking at cross-race violent crime, blacks are significantly more likely to be the aggressors compared to whites.

    Those are the facts that many in the black community ignore or deny.

    And yes, I will admit when being followed by a black v. white, I am far more wary of the black, and am far more likely to label them as suspicious much faster.

    If you want to call that profiling, fine. If you wish to call me a racist based on that, fine. But the facts support the suspicions of most whites.
    Dude, you need to erase this crap and keep your fears to yourself. There are more skinheads and cholo's on the street that would sooner take a crack at you. You emit fear as you walk with your shifting eyes and that "nothing to see here, just keeping to myself fellas" look on your scared face. I'm ashamed to have read this. I'm sure there's a neighboorhood in Idaho where you and Mark Fuhrman can stand around the fire pit telling racist jokes and shooting beer cans with shotguns, and not have to worry about being scared of a black man walking up to you.
    FyredUp, Chenzo and conrad427 like this.
    IAFF

  5. #85
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    A great point. We are to believe Zimmerman also had no other choice. He had the choice to back away from Martin. Assuming Zimmerman didn't start the physical altercation.
    Could we not also assume that Zimmerman attempted to retreat or was unable too? In Zimmermans' case, being in a SYG state he did not have to retreat even if he was able. In the end the legal ability to shoot a person instead of retreating probably would be something ole George would advise against to anyone asking, regardless of what laws are out there. Then again if he truly felt he feared for life/limb and had no other option from the moment it started going bad (for him) then...
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 07-17-2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: keyboard caused misspelled words

  6. #86
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    9,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Could we not also assume that Zimmerman attempted to retreat or was unable too? In Zimmermans' case, being in a SYG state he did not have to retreat even if he was able. In the end the legal ability to shoot a person instead of retreating probably would be something ole George would advise against to anyone asking, regardless of what laws are out there. Then again if he truly felt he feared for life/limb and had no other option from the moment it started going bad (for him) then...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD83PmBeaW4&noredirect=1

    Here's Zimmerman alluding that he believes it was God's will to kill Martin.

    He wouldn't change anything he's done.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  7. #87
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Frankly, how would any of you white guys feel if you were in a neighborhood and a black guy started following you? You all want to dance around the race issue but there it is.
    Honestly it would depend on the neighborhood, time of day, their appearance and behavior.

    Trayvon was a black kid in a white neighborhood, Zimmerman immediately labeled him as suspicious and started following him, WHY?
    I think you partially answered your own question.

    From what I recall reading somewhere along the way, he wasn't simply walking thru the neighborhood on the public sidewalks, he was also walking thru some yards. He had his hoodie pulled up over his head - nothing wrong with that other than the fact that it's a fairly common practice when trying to conceal ones identity, like during criminal activity.

    Right or wrong, it's hard to argue that a black kid with his hood up in a white neighborhood with a string of recent burglaries walking thru yards isn't "suspicious" on some level and not worthy of additional scrutiny.

  8. #88
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    And yours can't be proven as fact. So now what?

    No matter how you slice it, no matter what you say, if Zimmerman stays in his car, observes from a safe distance, and keeps the police informed of Trayvons martin's location no confrontation occurs. You can sing, you can dance, you can say strawman all you want, this is the only truth that can't be denied.
    Actually it CAN AND WAS PROVEN. You evidently didn't pay attention to any of they court testimony or evidence. A FORENSIC examiner determined Trayvon WAS on top of George when he was shot. And injuries to Georges face and the back of his head prove it as well, we in the EMS field call that "mechanism of injury".

  9. #89
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    The situation of attacking him in his car would clearly have defended Zimmerman's actions. His leaving his vehicle to follow Trayvon led to the confrontation. It doesn't matter to me who actually instigated the fight. Zimmerman leaving his vehicle led up to the possibility of it even happening.
    By your logic, Zimmerman getting out of bed led up to the possibility of it happening. And it DOES matter who instigated the physical fight. If Zimmerman threw the first punch, it would be hands down murder, regardless of whether he was getting his butt kicked.

  10. #90
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    No matter how you slice it, no matter what you say, if Zimmerman stays in his car, observes from a safe distance, and keeps the police informed of Trayvons martin's location no confrontation occurs. You can sing, you can dance, you can say strawman all you want, this is the only truth that can't be denied.
    I really don't think anybody is truly arguing against this point.

  11. #91
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    And it DOES matter who instigated the physical fight. If Zimmerman threw the first punch, it would be hands down murder, regardless of whether he was getting his butt kicked.
    I don't believe the trial clearly established who "started the fight", but given the fact that the defense's position was essential that Zimmerman was getting his butt kicked, feared for his life and took what ended up being lethal action to stop it and was acquitted of murder charges proves that you would probably be wrong.

  12. #92
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Actually it CAN AND WAS PROVEN. You evidently didn't pay attention to any of they court testimony or evidence. A FORENSIC examiner determined Trayvon WAS on top of George when he was shot. And injuries to Georges face and the back of his head prove it as well, we in the EMS field call that "mechanism of injury".
    I don't believe I ever denied that Trayvon was on top of Zimmerman. I never denied that Trayvon was winning the fight.

    What you just simply refuse to see is if Zimmerman stays in his truck no confrontation occurs, no fight breaks out,Zimmerman doesn'r get his azz kicked and Trayvon doesn't get shot. It is all so simple.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

    This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

  13. #93
    Forum Member FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    9,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    By your logic, Zimmerman getting out of bed led up to the possibility of it happening. And it DOES matter who instigated the physical fight. If Zimmerman threw the first punch, it would be hands down murder, regardless of whether he was getting his butt kicked.
    So how can you prove that Zimmerman didn't throw the first punch?
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

    This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

  14. #94
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I don't believe I ever denied that Trayvon was on top of Zimmerman. I never denied that Trayvon was winning the fight.

    What you just simply refuse to see is if Zimmerman stays in his truck no confrontation occurs, no fight breaks out,Zimmerman doesn'r get his azz kicked and Trayvon doesn't get shot. It is all so simple.
    But he had no legal requirement to stay in his truck. What he was doing was legal.

    Martin responded with the illegal activity - Assault.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  15. #95
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    I don't believe the trial clearly established who "started the fight", but given the fact that the defense's position was essential that Zimmerman was getting his butt kicked, feared for his life and took what ended up being lethal action to stop it and was acquitted of murder charges proves that you would probably be wrong.
    Actually case law and most states laws will not allow an armed person to use self-defense when they are the initial aggressor. To allow otherwise would be to allow anyone carrying to provoke a fight with any dangerous person, then upon the fight turning physical, draw their weapon and kill the person. But, if you as the initial aggressor attempt to peaceably end the altercation, by walking away and the other person then continues the fight, they become the "new" initial aggressor.

    For anyone interested any interview or video of Mas Ayoob speaking on the topic of justifiable shootings is well worth the time. Ayoob is notably one of, if not the, foremost experts on the topic and has provided expert testimony in numerous court trials. Again, if you carry, this would be well worth you time as information you should have before anything ever takes place.
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 07-18-2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: keyboard caused misspelled words
    FyredUp likes this.

  16. #96
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    So how can you prove that Zimmerman didn't throw the first punch?
    If the prosecution had proven he had thrown the first punch beyond a reasonable doubt, it's highly likely that this would have had a much different outcome. Most "experts" (real ones, not just us firehouse 'sperts) agree that more often then not, the initial aggressor has no right to self-defense.

  17. #97
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    What you just simply refuse to see is if Zimmerman stays in his truck no confrontation occurs, no fight breaks out,Zimmerman doesn'r get his azz kicked and Trayvon doesn't get shot. It is all so simple.
    What you seem to be ignoring is that while many or most of us agree with you on this point, cause and affect does not mean you're guilty of a crime unless the "cause" was a criminal act. In this case none of Zimmermans poor choices were against the law, hence he's not guilty, but he clearly bears significant responsibility for the outcome. You must admit that Martin may bear some responsibility himself, as in fact the court basically ruled that he was legally responsible for the outcome, while this requires we believe the only side of the story we have.
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 07-18-2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: keyboard caused misspelled words

  18. #98
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    9,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    I don't believe the trial clearly established who "started the fight", but given the fact that the defense's position was essential that Zimmerman was getting his butt kicked, feared for his life and took what ended up being lethal action to stop it and was acquitted of murder charges proves that you would probably be wrong.
    O.J. was acquitted as well.
    FyredUp likes this.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  19. #99
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    9,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    But he had no legal requirement to stay in his truck. What he was doing was legal.

    Martin responded with the illegal activity - Assault.
    We don't know who started the assault. We do know that Zimmerman was getting his butt kicked.

    Do you believe Martin's actions would have been the same if he knew Zimmerman had been armed?
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  20. #100
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    We don't know who started the assault. We do know that Zimmerman was getting his butt kicked.

    Do you believe Martin's actions would have been the same if he knew Zimmerman had been armed?
    Irrelevant, as Zimmerman was legally armed.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. PG soon.....we hope!?
    By arhaney in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2007, 10:39 AM
  2. Not Exactly Fire Related, But It Fits.
    By MalahatTwo7 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2004, 10:48 AM
  3. Might there be hope?!!
    By BC79er_OLDDELETE in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-09-2004, 11:04 AM
  4. Any Hope?
    By Kiernan in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 08:48 PM
  5. Hope for the best?
    By Bones42 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 08:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts