Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By paulLepore

Thread: Hey officers?

Forum Member

Default Hey officers?

When you look back on your career. What example as a fire officer will define your service as an effective leader?

Forum Member

Taking care of the crew on and off of the fireline. When I look back at captains I've worked for / alongside the ones that stand out the most are those who took really good care of their crews, and those who were looking out for themselves at the experience of their crew.

The first group obviously a positive thing, the second examples of what I wanted to make sure I didn't follow.

I like to think I have done a good job taking care of my firefighters over the years. I've tried to be the boss I would want to work for.

Forum Member

Know your job

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Know your job
    ...and DO your job.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Knowing your job, but not being so arrogant about your knowledge that you refuse to listen to your crew.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Dedication to training.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

I have a couple of thoughts on this. I got promoted to Captain at age 32 on a large metropolitan California department. Shortly after getting promoted I was assigned to move up and cover another station on the other end of town. Following the move up we were enroute back to our home station and I directed the Engineer to head north on the freeway instead of south. We met up with my brother who was a Captain on a neighboring agency. We parked the engines side by side and took a photo and visited with the crews.

A couple of weeks later I was involved in writing a written reprimand for a firefighter who desperately deserved it. He took a copy of the photo along with the written reprimand and sent it to the fire chief. I was suspended for three shifts for misuse of City equipment and abandoning my post. Unfortunately this defined me early in my career. It taught me a valuable lesson that I remember to this day.

You must walk the walk and set the example if you expect others to follow your command. That incident occurred 16 years ago. I relay this story to any aspiring officer. Do not make the same mistake I made. Be a leader and set the example. This means to be in proper uniform and follow the policies and procedures. It's hypocritical to call someone out doing something wrong when you are not setting the example.

It was a tough lesson for me to learn. I can honestly say, however, that it was something I needed to learn the hard way. You can bet that for the past 16 years that I follow the policies. This allows me to hold others accountable to do the same.

The second answer to the question is all of the people that I have mentored to get hired and/or to promote in the fire service. This is something that I am extremely proud of and I hope will define me as a leader to those I may have had a positive impact on their careers.
    EMAGUY likes this.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Chief Lepore... if you admitted you were wrong and took the rip, then in my eyes, you did the right thing and set the tone. Your credibility was restored.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information