Forum Member

Default Air Force Fire Protection 2013

Good evening,

My name is Danny and im 23. I've been researching the Air Force off and on for 3 years or so. I've been searching multiple forums the past month trying to find updated info but nothing of recent time. So I apologize if I've asked previous questions but there most likely old. I was in the process with a recruiter about 2 years ago going Active, who seemed like she just gave up on me. But anyways, I recently started researching the Air National Guard or Air Force Reserves still in Fire Protection. I'm currently a volunteer Firefighter/EMT/EVO for two years, and currently going to medic school graduating in Dec with my EMS degree.

I have many questions I randomly think of through out the day but can't think of them all currently. I'm just looking for some advice on maybe which branch to join? How tough is Fire Protection to get as a job now in 2013? With 60 college credits would I go in as E-3? With my current fire related certs, being proboard certs, I've read that they AF could guarantee me the job. But again that's info I've read that had been posted a couple of years ago. Sorry for the long post I am just trying to get the best info I can before I see the recruiter.

BTW: before someone's says ask a recruiter, I've been trying but there's only one in my location, and that locations address isn't posted online so I don't know where it is. Tried emailing with no response.

Thank you for your time.

Forum Member

No you will not go in as an E-3, and more than likely not even an E-2 unless you commit to more than four years, unless things have changed.

no your training will not guarantee you a job,

BUT if you decide to go in hold out till you get a firefighting job guaranteed on paper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you want firefighting air force is the best branch, but you have to understand they do not fight that many fires, depending on wher you go, plus they are more air craft oriented.

some reason you do not want to work for a city???

do not join just for firefighting, because more than likely you will not have a good time.

what state are you in??

http://www.airforce.com/contact-us/recruiter-locator/

Forum Member

you will get e-3 out of basic.

fire protection is extremely hard to get, more than likely your going to wait if thats what you want and have little notice of when you will leave for basic (i had 12 days notice). your certs wont get you the job but it will get you through tech school as you can test out of blocks, but i wouldnt, go through the whole school.

by the way, i would give up on you if you were in the process for 2-3 years. whats the hold up? im going to say it, call a recruiter, doesnt matter who/where, explain your situation with your local recruiter, they should help.

Forum Member

you will get e-3 out of basic.

Just for going through basic???

Or because he has college hours ??

Forum Member

college hours, sorry. 6 year enlistment or college hours, you get e-3 out of basic.

Forum Member

I live in Ft. Lauderdale Florida.

The reason for not joining a city or county dept isn't because I wouldn't like to. I like the structure of the military and would like to serve my country. But I love firefighting and if I could combine the two it'd be awesome. I'm aware military base don't get much action, but the training and knowledge would well worth the lack of fires.

Also, I wasn't in the process for 2-3 years. I talked to a recruiter for about six months and the day before meps she canceled on me, unknown reasoning. So after that I just continued to go to school get my paramedic and go from there.

Forum Member

I'd call my local recruiter if there was a number to call lol. It's pretty nuts I can't find one online. The recruiter appointed to me is hopefully going to email me back but that was a week ago.

Thanks for the info btw everyone.

Forum Member

do not email. recruiter appointed, recruiter canceled MEPS? doesnt make sense, not saying your wrong. but if this is something you really want, you need to start looking else where. there's 4 numbers to recruiters right around you. the thing will recruiters is you have to push back; know what you want, know what your talking about and dont let up. once you give them slack, your on their time.

954-474-5745
    305-822-4574
    954-590-3498
    954-961-1457

Forum Member

Thanks for the numbers, but those are for the Active recruiters not the reserves.

Well the recruiter emailed me back asking me if i can set a date to meet up with her in the beginning of August.

I'm willing to hold out and wait for the job I want. Just allows me to continue going to school and work towards me degree. Maybe become an officer some day...hmmm.. Only time will tell!

I'd love to talk to some guys that are currently AF FFs to see what they have to say, if they enjoy it or have any specific advice on anything I could study up on.

Thanks again for the info!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Is there an air guard or reserves base near you? If not your UTA's and 2 weeks are going to be a pain in the *** to get to. Further, generally, unless you work as a civilian state employee, or a fed tech, most of those bases are covered by civiliam firefighters, not military personnel. So being in the guard or reserves does not guarantee you a full time firefighting gig.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I have a base 1 1/2 hours away and another 2 hours away. I'm going to call my recruiter tomorrow and set up a meeting date.

I'm contemplating if I should try to go active again. Ill just wait and see what the recruiters tell me.

I am currently an E-7 in the Ga Air National Guard Fire Protection Division and just returned from an overseas deployment; also a civilian Firefighter/Paramedic. The military is a great option for anyone. You will learn skills and get experiences that are simply unmatched anywhere outside of military service which will only serve to benefit you down the road; and access to advanced certifications for free you would have to pay thousands to get as a civilian. Even in my civilian experiences you can tell right off which officers and senior members have served in the military and those who have not. JOIN!

Forum Member

Last edited by m.king; 12-03-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by m.king View Post
    I am currently a firefighter in the air force. I can tell you this I got much better training from my volley department I work at then at my actual base. Its better to learn on a real fire not gas based fires. our training is always the exact same thing and 99 percent of calls are to the dorms for a fire alarm. I have had a few car fires and a few actual house fires. I learned a lot more from those than anything.
    Also the Louis f garland fire school you would go to has become a joke. The new firefighters they are putting out are for the lack of words not prepared. most of them had no idea that you can connect three in hose to hydrants or what a storz connection was before they showed up to work. not to mention the lack of physical ability.
    if you like the military structure join the military by all means and serve. but if your interested in firefighting stay and get a city job if you can. out of our station around 90 percent of all Sra do not reenlist instead they get out to look for city jobs because the upper management destroys your desire for the military.
    See that the military is still ten years behind in firefighting,

But light years ahead on fire prevention!!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer_lawrence View Post
    If you want the army framework be a part of the army by all indicates and provide. but if your enthusiastic about firefighting remain and get a town job if you can. Mostly of it our place around 80 % of all of it instead they get out to look for town jobs.
    WOW! Huh?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Thread Information