Like Tree9Likes

Thread: The Motor City Has Filed For Bankruptcy

Forum Member

Default The Motor City Has Filed For Bankruptcy

Detroit filed for bankruptcy protection today. They fought the good fight for a long time?

I'd like to hear from some Motor City brothers. Their opinion on this, what's next, contracts being opened and more pay cuts, or layoffs.

I wish that city well for the sake of the employees.

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2552819

http://m.nypost.com/p/news/national/...ntent=National
    IAFF

Forum Member

Statter has done some pieces on Detroit and places like East St. Louis. Makes me think my firehouse problems are pretty miniscule in comparison. It makes my heart ache to think about how busy these guys are and how crummy their situation is, yet they still go to work.
    Hats off to them.
    FF715MRFD and detroitfire1552 like this.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    Statter has done some pieces on Detroit and places like East St. Louis. Makes me think my firehouse problems are pretty miniscule in comparison. It makes my heart ache to think about how busy these guys are and how crummy their situation is, yet they still go to work.
    Hats off to them.
    Yep, I just don't know how they do it. I think I'd be really worried about my pension.

Forum Member

I have a friend there in Detroit. He say's the way it is now they could be given a billion dollars and the firefighter on the front lines might get a new pencil after it trickles down through all the graft and corruption. So maybe this could be a good thing if it fixes some of that.

Forum Member

Hats off to them.
    Hers' a video put together by the firefighters in east St. Louis .... It looks even worse than Detroit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKKY7jU0eEA

150 firefighters down to 53, and they were scheduled to lose 22 more in May. I'm not sure if it ended up happening or not.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Liberal/Democrat leadership + widespread corruption = bankrupt. Sucks for the brothers on the front lines.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Corruption occurs on both sides of the aisle, it's not just a Democrat trait... Dick Cheney anyone?

Anyways, back on topic, last I heard, the city got denied by the Feds in their filing. Anyone heard anything since that?
    "I am an aggressive firefighter, and that is not an apology."

FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH-KTF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ToDaRoof View Post
    Corruption occurs on both sides of the aisle, it's not just a Democrat trait... Dick Cheney anyone?

Anyways, back on topic, last I heard, the city got denied by the Feds in their filing. Anyone heard anything since that?
    Uh, there's only been ONE side of the aisle in Detroit since the late fifties....I don't recall Cheney ever living in Detroit, nor do I ever remember him being indicted for anything.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Uh, there's only been ONE side of the aisle in Detroit since the late fifties....I don't recall Cheney ever living in Detroit, nor do I ever remember him being indicted for anything.
    Get over it. There are corrupt politicianson both sides of the aisle.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Yes, but we're talking about DETROIT here. And there's only ONE place to put the blame.

Forum Member

Statter used to have some stories by Charlie Laduff or something like that until the guy got in trouble for public intoxication. The stories really put a spotlight on DFD's everyday challenges. How does it get so bad?
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

Yes, but we're talking about DETROIT here. And there's only ONE place to put the blame.
    Exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxactly.

Truckie

In this case, this statement is dead on fact.
    An interesting read:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/kylesmit...thing-is-left/
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Democrats killed Detroit. FACT.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Democrats killed Detroit. FACT.
    I will say that it was actually the citizens of Detroit who kept voting in corrupt politians into office. Years of under the table deals, bribes and threats are what killed Detroit. The Detroit political landscape has been more like an organized crime syndicate than elected leaders.
    FyredUp and conrad427 like this.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by NY3244MI View Post
    I will say that it was actually the citizens of Detroit who kept voting in corrupt politians into office. Years of under the table deals, bribes and threats are what killed Detroit. The Detroit political landscape has been more like an organized crime syndicate than elected leaders.
    Too true Brother, too true.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY3244MI View Post
    FireGeezer echoed these words a few days ago. Makes sense.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

FireGeezer echoed these words a few days ago. Makes sense.
    Growing up and also living in the Flint area for awhile as an adult, I have seen the slow progression of both Flint and Detroit into the deep despair both cities are in. With Devils Night in the 80's and early 90's, the demise of the auto industry, and the people of the both cities electing corrupt individuals to high positions, it was all just a matter of time. Having been a member of a suburban fire department outside of Flint, we ran numerous calls into the city assisting the beleaguered, but very professional and dedicated Flint Fire Department. Both cities have very dedicated public safety personnel on the front lines, notice how I said on the front lines, those in the offices are just puppets for the corrupt leaders. I hope, for the sake of my home state and what I consider my home town, things start to turn around for both Flint and Detroit,although I highly doubt it with their track records.

Forum Member

As bad of shape as the city is in it looks like our Brothers up there will finally be getting a little help, in the form of more FF's.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/city-of...w-firefighters

MembersZone Subscriber

If I were rich, I would do the job for free. We love this city and that is why we come to work in the morning. We still have our pension, new employees are in a 401k, we have an annuity program, we have a terrible arson epidemic, we are an old department, we need younger guys, and we could use new equipment. Apply for the job if you want to be a part of the new Detroit.
    Jerry Stewart
    Firefighter Engine Company No. 44
    Licensed Paramedic State of Michigan
    Detroit1552fire@yahoo.com
    (313) 732 7377
    Detroit Fire Department Local 344

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by detroitfire1552 View Post
    . We still have our pension
    "Still" being the key, operative word.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

If "liberalism" were the only reason for Detroit's BK, more "liberal" cities would have fallen into the same pit, and "conservative" cities would all be fine...that isn't the case. Anyone who ignores the economic reasons caused by changes in the auto industry, or demographic changes over the past 60 years, and solely blames "liberalism" because it's an easy and handy political answer is just looking to make political hay and place blame. Reality is a bit more complicated than that.

Some interesting reading on Detroit and its decline:

http://www.urbanophile.com/2012/02/2...pete-saunders/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline_of_Detroit

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...tml?ir=Detroit

http://geography.about.com/od/urbane...it-decline.htm

Prior to Detroit. One of the largest municipal bankruptcies occurred in my backyard. Orange County, CA. Hardly a bastion of liberalism.
    Last edited by scfire86; 07-29-2013 at 04:51 AM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

This is indicative of the mismanagement that won't help Detroit recover anytime soon.

New Red Wing Stadium to be built with $285M in public funds

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    This is indicative of the mismanagement that won't help Detroit recover anytime soon.

New Red Wing Stadium to be built with $285M in public funds
    So having a major sports team, especially one like the Red Wings whose history is linked to the fiber and very essence of Detroit, isn't important?

Losing them would do tremendous damage to what is left of civic pride and would send a message that Detroit is closing up shop. They have already lost the Lions and the Pistons to the suburbs.

From a financial impact, what is the revenue generated to the city on game nights?

As far as the author's comments on "picking winners and losers" there is a tremendous difference between the construction of sports facilities and anchors of a cities economy, such as theaters and selecting which private industries will get government funding and subsidies.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 07-30-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    So having a major sports team, especially one like the Red Wings whose history is linked to the fiber and very essence of Detroit, isn't important?

Losing them would do tremendous damage to what is left of civic pride and would send a message that Detroit is closing up shop. They have already lost the Lions and the Pistons to the suburbs.

From a financial impact, what is the revenue generated to the city on game nights?

As far as the author's comments on "picking winners and losers" there is a tremendous difference between the construction of sports facilities and anchors of a cities economy, such as theaters and selecting which private industries will get government funding and subsidies.
    There are more than enough studies that show the financial impact of a sports team is negligible to the local economy.

I agree that civic pride is important. I just believe the taxpayer shouldn't be subsidizing a private entity unless they also share in its profitability.

Thread Information