Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default troubles figuring out my pager

Hey I'm a probie for a volunteer fire department in the Northwest region of Ohio. I was just given my Motorola minitor v pager along with all of my ppe the other day. I've been waiting for my first call for a few days now the only thing is........sometimes my pager goes off but dispatch never says anything. I'm only getting morse code and then I hear nothing......no short tones no long tones just straight morse code. Is this common that this occurence happens? I'm anxious and I don't want to miss my first call. Also what's the best setting reccommended for the minitor v. I'd really appreciate some feedback. Thanks!

Not much any of us here can help you with - there are many variables in how paging systems and pagers are set up.

I've encountered problems with interference setting off one of the "C" tones in my pager, but that's just one of many possible answers.

That said - the folks to talk to are the officers of your department. They should be able to explain the normal flow of radio/paging traffic for your department. What happens in my county in NY may have little resemblance to how your agency operates.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Alrighty I had a feeling someone would say something like that......luckly I have drill tomorrow so ill be able to talk to my officers then.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I get ghost tones and pages all the time on one of my Minitor V's. It will Beep beep beep and then squelch for several seconds and then go quiet. Because it ****ed me off getting woke up at 0300 for no apparent reason so I only use that pager during the day and my other pager at night.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

well for now all I have is the Minitor V. whats the pager that you use at night??? I'm just curious....and I figured out that it does go off for no reason at all. but it actually does work correctly this I know because I had my first run last night for a commercial fire alarm which was exciting! too bad when I was en route to the scene the Port authority police for Toledo Express Airport cancelled the call. I was bummed but also glad that no destruction was caused. It will only be a matter of time before I'm dispatched again and boy I am so honored and greatful that I am now apart of The Fire service.

Thread Information