Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Detroit Fire Department Firefighter AUGUST 19, 2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by detroitfire1552 View Post
    Do you have your EMT?
    Will they be giving even higher preference for those of us who have obtained Medic?

Applied 10/20, still havent heard anything yet.

Forum Member

Unfortunately no i dont have my emt. Still gonna try though.

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

I am just still somewhat confused...

In the "Supplemental Information" section of the Notice of Examination it states...

The following documentation "MUST" be submitted in order to be scheduled for an interview:

3) Valid State of MI Operator License

To me this is saying that to even be considered for an interview you must have a Michigan State Drivers License. I still applied, and hope that I am interpreting this wrong. In the end though this seems to discourage out of state applicants because you would have to move to Michigan to get the necessary drivers license just for an interview. I am going to try and call HR and get clarification over the next week, but anyone's insight would be appreciated.

BTW thank you detroitfire1552 for taking the time to answer all of our questions, and keep us updated on what you know!

Forum Member

To answer a few questions for some of you. This is all per a friend of mine who is a DFD officer. He gave the disclaimer that he does not have all the answers and some of this may not be correct but this is to the best of his knowledge.

8truckie3: Its hard to tell how many will apply since DFD hasnt hired in a while. But they are anticipating it to be in the THOUSANDS. Especially with all the new found publicity DFD has gotten on the internet lately with the BURN documentary. They are unsure if that exposure will help or hinder the volume of applicants.

CFD11: Obviously only the administrative side of the DFD has the answer to this. But as far as my friend can tell they are currently using the $22.5 million grant they obtained. That money is strictly to be used by DFD and not city money, therefore is exempt from the bankruptcy B.S.

8482612: EMT's and Detroit residents DO receive preference POINTS, but do not receive hiring preference. Pass the Written and CPAT ... then ACE your interview. That is still the best way to get hired.

csvt18: DFD has a two main divisions. Fire and Medical. And its just what it sounds like. Fire strictly deals with the fire aspect. And Medical does all the medical portion. And being employed by one does not mean you also work for the other. Having said that ... the FIRE side of DFD are only required to be trained to EMT-B and DFD FIRE is only licensed to operate at EMT-B. therefore do not operate as medics at any time unless a FF/Medic is assisting the Medical side of DFD. Therefore medics will only receive EMT-B preference points and no hiring preference. ALSO, I applied on 10/16 and got an email with my scheduled test date by 10/18 so if youre out of state Im wondering if they are planning on a alternate date for you???

Hope this helped a few of you to make up your minds. Sorry if I wasnt much help.

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you for the info. I am definitely curious about the number of people that apply and sit for the test. Personally I know the city's current financial situation is deterring a number of people, but it will be interesting to see. If you don't mind me asking, when is your written scheduled for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IFR View Post
    Thank you for the info. I am definitely curious about the number of people that apply and sit for the test. Personally I know the city's current financial situation is deterring a number of people, but it will be interesting to see. If you don't mind me asking, when is your written scheduled for?

I am scheduled for this Friday 10/25.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MetroDFF View Post
    I am scheduled for this Friday 10/25.
    Where are they holding the exam?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    Where are they holding the exam?
    The Coleman young center downtown

Forum Member

Is preference being given to people with their EMT cert?

Forum Member

Default Second guessing this now, thought you all should know what youre getting into

ATTENTION ALL DFD APPLICANTS PLEASE READ AND SHARE!!!!!!

The City’s Disastrous New Pension “Plan”

The City’s proposed new pension plan is out. If implemented, it would prove disastrous for our members, especially in light of the fact that we have no Social Security.

The city’s proposal replaces the current plan with a defined contribution system that an IAFF analysis concludes, “may violate the Michigan Constitution, particularly the elimination of the Cost of Living Adjustment.”

Our union’s analysis concludes:
    A Firefighter hired under this plan would likely have less than 20% of final average compensation as a retirement benefit after 30 years of service, probably closer to 15%, making it virtually certain that a retiree would be eligible for Medicaid, food stamps and subsidized housing!

Here’s a rundown of what the City is trying to saddle us with:

The Police and Fire Retirement System (PFRS) will be frozen as of December 31, 2013

This is a “hard” freeze, regardless of years of service. Post-December 31, there will be no future raises, promotions, etc. factored into the AFC at retirement. This provision will reduce the value of the PFRS benefit at retirement to an increasing degree based on the additional years of service before retirement, post December 31.

In other words, a member with 10 years’ service on December 31, who retires in 20 years (2033), would have the value of their PFRS benefit relative to their AFC at retirement reduced by 50% or more.

Furthermore…
    -The system is closed to new employees;
    -Benefits for vested current employees are frozen for service and pay as of 12/31/2013;
    -Non-vested employees (less than 10 years’ service) get nothing;
    -There are no LODD/Duty Disability Benefits. LODD current account balances would go to the beneficiary, as would current account balances for Duty Disabilities; and,
    -The plan completely eliminates COLA for current and future retirees – in clear violation of the state constitution – driving down our purchasing power over time.

Proposed Replacement Plan Promises Poverty
    The Defined Contribution (DC) plan proposed to replace the current system has the following provisions:

-The employer would make a 10% contribution;

-No employee contributions would be permitted; and,

-All costs of for the plan (including administration and Investment fees) would be paid by employees

A fire fighter hired under the proposed DC plan would end up with a lifetime benefit of only about 20% of final salary after a 30 year career.

Under a frozen PFRS plan, the value of the accrued vested benefits would be significantly reduced over time – as much as 50% in 20 years!

In other words, a fire fighter hired under this plan would likely have less than 20% of final average compensation as a retirement benefit after 30 years of service, probably closer to 15%, and these values assume a 10% employer contribution throughout the fire fighter’s career – an impossibility since the expenses of the DC plan will be deducted from the paltry 10% retirement benefit account, and there is no guarantee that the plan won’t be modified or terminated during the coming years.

With no Social Security, it is virtually certain that a retiree under this plan would be eligible for Medicaid, food stamps and subsidized housing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone else still waiting to be scheduled for a test?

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

I applied late Sunday night, and haven't heard back. On Monday I noticed that my application status had changed from "Application Received" to "Evaluating Minimum Qualifications", but still no word back. Are you an out of state applicant?

MembersZone Subscriber

In state, applied Friday the 18th, status changed to "evaluating" yesterday.

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

I am assuming most will be scheduled for a test after the application period closes.

Anybody have an educated guess on how many have applied?

Forum Member

Like i said before. I applied on the 16th and was scheduled for my written by the 18th. I live about 25 min from downtown Detroit. I have no idea why you guys havent been scheduled yet? You all live in the metro area or just in MI? There must be some method to this madness. And FYI my written is tomorrow morning so when I am done I will let you all know about how many took the test with me.

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks man. I'm guessing they scheduled some early on, and some others of us will get scheduled after the application period closes. Best of luck tomorrow. Let us know how it goes!

Forum Member

There were exactly 30 people in my test this morning. So I'm assuming they are doing the testing in chunks of smaller groups. 5 of them were already in the DFD EMS. And another 5 of them were already city employees. I have no idea if that helps their chances or not. The HR lady did say that as of today there were over 1700 applicants and they expect the final number to be around 2000 tomorrow when the app process closes. That's all I've got for you guys. Good luck!

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

Wow I thought more than that would apply. For 90 spots that is pretty good odds. If you feel comfortable answering, in general terms, what did the test consist of? Like level of math, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

IFR, you get a test date yet?

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

Not yet man, what about you? I'm guessing this next week we will get scheduled.

Thread Information