Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Detroit Fire Department Firefighter AUGUST 19, 2013

Forum Member

Z, I dont know where you get your information, but i would look into alternative sources. Everything you just said not only makes you sound ignorant, but is just wrong. DFD has people from ALL over the place. 10 or 12 out of staters that I know of. And I am sure there are plenty more. When i was in Charleston, SC testing they had 4 guys that used to work for Detroit but wanted to go back home to SC. I will agree that the vast majority of guys are from the Detroit area. But thats not because they are more qualified because they are from MI and have EMT. If you get an 83 on your written and a 79 on your oral, do you think they are more apt to hire you, or a guy from TN who scored 97 on his written and a 92 on his oral? They wont care if he doesnt have EMT. It says EMT PREFERRED, not REQUIRED. While the 15 extra pts for residency sounds like a death sentence for anyone outside of the D, (this is going to sound bad) in my experience, and from what I am hearing, most of the applicants actually from the city of Detroit don't have EMT or dont have FF1-2. Or possibly dont have EITHER. Now while this contradicts my point earlier. I firmly believe that the people who get the job the MAJORITY of the time are the people who have at least one of those credentials and have experience taking the FF exam, and actually WANT to be a FF and are not applying just because its a city job. While waiting for my written test there was 30 people there. 5-8 dressed like they wanted the job, the rest were dressed like they were waiting to be processed at booking at PD. I firmly believe everyone ... WHO REALLY WANTS IT ... has a solid shot. Good Luck everyone.
    Last edited by MetroDFF; 12-24-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Forum Member

Ya but in detroit oral board and writtens pass fail. No score. Thats why im saying its hard for out of staters because say if an out of stater gets a 98 on written and mi gets 70 it doesnt matter bc it is pass fail. Not scored

Forum Member

I take that back, i am not sure about the oral board

Forum Member

And i do apologize. I did not mean that in a harsh tone by any means. Everybody has a shot. But do not turn ur last nickel to test detroit if you dont live here. Just my opinion. Ive tested in other states and i just did not like the attitude i was given in my oral board, i felt like i have been disadvantaged from the get go

Forum Member

I tested on 12-12 and out of 30 people it was the same for me. About 6 of us were in a shirt and tie. Still waiting on an email.

Forum Member

Whos interviewed so far or even got letters?

Forum Member

Any truth that a class starts 4/7? If so, how does that affect seniority? Is it just randomly based on when they decided to assign an interview?

Forum Member

Thats what the commissioner told us at the interviews 3/17 is first class is 4/7. Really cool he addressed us the way he did. Mad respect for him and what he wants.

Forum Member

First class pushed back to 4/28.

Forum Member

So had my interview on Friday 4/25, had a great time. 4/29 I recieved a letter saying that Ive passed all examinations and that when my name is reached on the eligible list that I will begin employment processing which is awesome news. Im going to call HR this week and ask some questions about it but wanted some quick answers on here. And yes the first class did start on 4/28. My question is if anyone on here has started the employment process yet (background, medical eval, drug screen, etc..)? And how soon after getting the letter did you'all start? Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Could be wrong, but I don't think anyone who was placed on the list has gone forward in processing. Last I heard, there were people who were already sent for medicals in March that didn't get into the first class. So, it'll probably be awhile.

Forum Member

Talked to HR on monday 5/5 and they couldnt tell me anything. I was hoping to get some info on how many are on the eligibility list and if its ranked. Only detail that they told me is the possible date for the next academy is September and that each academy is going to have 75-80 in it. Being a out of stater definitley has its limitations.

Forum Member

anybody start the background process yet?

Forum Member

At the same point as you are bud. Had a few buddies call and.basically got the.same answers. Hope to be in the oct. Classes.

Forum Member

Does anyone know if anyone hired for the first class was an out of stater or out of towner I was just curious......did this matter much in the interview process does anyone think?

Forum Member

I imagine they will expire this list, so it will be some time prior to another one?

Forum Member

Approximately 120 conditional offers went out at the end of August. Anyone following this thread get an offer?

Thread Information