Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Detroit Fire Department Firefighter AUGUST 19, 2013

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Detroit Fire Department Firefighter AUGUST 19, 2013

High School Diploma or GED

EMT license preferred

Pass Written Examination

Proof of successful completion of the Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT)

Valid State of Michigan Operator License

The Firefighter position pays $29,352 - $47,913. The recruitment is scheduled to open on August 19, 2013. To apply, beginning August 19, visit www.detroitmi.gov and search the job openings on the Human Resources Department Page.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jerry Stewart
    Firefighter Engine Company No. 44
    Licensed Paramedic State of Michigan
    Detroit1552fire@yahoo.com
    (313) 732 7377
    Detroit Fire Department Local 344

Forum Member

Do you need a Michigan drivers license at time of application or at time of appointment?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by detroitfire1552 View Post
    High School Diploma or GED

EMT license preferred

Pass Written Examination

Proof of successful completion of the Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT)

Valid State of Michigan Operator License

The Firefighter position pays $29,352 - $47,913. The recruitment is scheduled to open on August 19, 2013. To apply, beginning August 19, visit www.detroitmi.gov and search the job openings on the Human Resources Department Page.

I pm'd you if you don't mind checking it

Forum Member

Anyway around the Michigan DL requirement?

Forum Member

Geez, that's the cheapest CPAT cost I've ever seen outside of ones that you get for free when you test with certain departments. I just shelled out $125 for mine last time.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm pretty sure you need a valid drivers license at time of hire and then a michigan license when you get to the academy. You will be able to find out more by contacting human resources.

Spoke to a man from HR yesterday and says we are hiring up to 90 firefighters off of this list
    Jerry Stewart
    (313) 732 7377

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

Does Michigan accept NREMT? How long does Detroits list stay active? Is there an area that might expand more on the testing process, dates for the written etc.?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm guessing Michigan accepts it since I had to take NREMT and NREMT-P here. List used to stay active for 2 years but hiring has been so sporadic I wouldn't count on anything. I am not sure what you are asking in your last question. The test most likely will only be offered in Detroit, but if a company is hired it is possible dates will be offered elsewhere. We know as much as you. Just read the ad and apply for the job if you are interested.

Forum Member

You'll see 30 fires a week and a better chance of seeing a pink slip

Forum Member

probably won't be seeing a pension either, and greatly reduced benefits overall

Forum Member

So you can only test in Detroit ??

MembersZone Subscriber

Most places people apply for jobs hold the test in the city of application. We have never had an online application, so anything is possible. There might be a testing company involved where the test can be taken elsewhere, but I doubt it. Good Luck if you decide to apply
    Jerry Stewart
    (313) 732 7377

Forum Member

Just an FYI to all of you that thought you were applying to Detroit Monday .... you're not. Fire Commish Don Austin is really making me question if he ever really intended to try to help the DFD. Read about it here http://http://motorcitymuckraker.com...sourcing-plan/

Forum Member

Any update on this situation? Also will city residents be given points or preference?

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

Any news on when they may open up the application period?

MembersZone Subscriber

Apps are open until the 26th. I tried to get on here earlier but firehouse.com was down the day they opened.
    Jerry Stewart
    (313) 732 7377

Forum Member

Any idea of how many people have applied to this point?

Forum Member

Where is the bankruptcy issues at? Is the job even safe to take with the fiscal irresponsibility of the city? It would be cool to fight a lot of fire but I can't see testing that was the first Metropolitan city to declare bankruptcy.

Forum Member

are emt's and residents gonna get hiring preference? in the notice of exam it states hiring may not be done in scoring order and it will be banded on 100-65 being passing and anything below fail, looks like a way for them to pick and choose, especially with them saying emt is a huge bonus. does a non emt HONESTLY even have a chance?

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you have your EMT?
    Jerry Stewart
    (313) 732 7377

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by detroitfire1552 View Post
    Do you have your EMT?
    Will they be giving even higher preference for those of us who have obtained Medic?

Applied 10/20, still havent heard anything yet.

Forum Member

Unfortunately no i dont have my emt. Still gonna try though.

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

I am just still somewhat confused...

In the "Supplemental Information" section of the Notice of Examination it states...

The following documentation "MUST" be submitted in order to be scheduled for an interview:

3) Valid State of MI Operator License

To me this is saying that to even be considered for an interview you must have a Michigan State Drivers License. I still applied, and hope that I am interpreting this wrong. In the end though this seems to discourage out of state applicants because you would have to move to Michigan to get the necessary drivers license just for an interview. I am going to try and call HR and get clarification over the next week, but anyone's insight would be appreciated.

BTW thank you detroitfire1552 for taking the time to answer all of our questions, and keep us updated on what you know!

Forum Member

To answer a few questions for some of you. This is all per a friend of mine who is a DFD officer. He gave the disclaimer that he does not have all the answers and some of this may not be correct but this is to the best of his knowledge.

8truckie3: Its hard to tell how many will apply since DFD hasnt hired in a while. But they are anticipating it to be in the THOUSANDS. Especially with all the new found publicity DFD has gotten on the internet lately with the BURN documentary. They are unsure if that exposure will help or hinder the volume of applicants.

CFD11: Obviously only the administrative side of the DFD has the answer to this. But as far as my friend can tell they are currently using the $22.5 million grant they obtained. That money is strictly to be used by DFD and not city money, therefore is exempt from the bankruptcy B.S.

8482612: EMT's and Detroit residents DO receive preference POINTS, but do not receive hiring preference. Pass the Written and CPAT ... then ACE your interview. That is still the best way to get hired.

csvt18: DFD has a two main divisions. Fire and Medical. And its just what it sounds like. Fire strictly deals with the fire aspect. And Medical does all the medical portion. And being employed by one does not mean you also work for the other. Having said that ... the FIRE side of DFD are only required to be trained to EMT-B and DFD FIRE is only licensed to operate at EMT-B. therefore do not operate as medics at any time unless a FF/Medic is assisting the Medical side of DFD. Therefore medics will only receive EMT-B preference points and no hiring preference. ALSO, I applied on 10/16 and got an email with my scheduled test date by 10/18 so if youre out of state Im wondering if they are planning on a alternate date for you???

Hope this helped a few of you to make up your minds. Sorry if I wasnt much help.

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you for the info. I am definitely curious about the number of people that apply and sit for the test. Personally I know the city's current financial situation is deterring a number of people, but it will be interesting to see. If you don't mind me asking, when is your written scheduled for?

Thread Information