Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By WBFD25
  • 1 Post By captnjak

Thread: Feedback for a Probie please!

Forum Member

Default Feedback for a Probie please!

I'm new to the Fire field, and I already cant get enough. I want to learn learn learn all the time. at work during my down time, at home and also at the station. I'll be attending a Fire class in the Fall for my firefighter-1. what things should I be doing other than attending drill, going on runs and gaining knowledge on the side? Positive feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm trying to learn so I can become the best I can be.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kwoo222 View Post
    I'm new to the Fire field, and I already cant get enough. I want to learn learn learn all the time. at work during my down time, at home and also at the station. I'll be attending a Fire class in the Fall for my firefighter-1. what things should I be doing other than attending drill, going on runs and gaining knowledge on the side? Positive feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm trying to learn so I can become the best I can be.
    stay out of trouble to include any traffic tickets

couple things to check out::

http://rookiethebook.com/rookie-the-book-author.html

http://www.eatstress.com/resume.htm

slow down also! think

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I think ill buy the book aswell. I can add that to my fire room after I read it.

Forum Member

Get as physically fit as possible.

Forum Member

Workout like your life depends on it. Youd be amazed at how well your body will respond at a fire if you are in serious good shape. If you dont have to think about how tired you are, I can promise you will be able to notice alot more about your surroundings and what you can do to mitigate any problems you may encounter and that very well may one day save your or someone elses life. Not to mention 50 or so firefighters die every year from cardiovascular related problems.

MembersZone Subscriber

Watch and listen. Read. Subscribe to Statter911, The Secret List, FirefighterNation, among others. Sometimes what you see serves best as a bad example (just read the comments), but that's learning, too.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

All the feedback is great. I've been working out and I've just now book marked all the websites thanks to tree.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kwoo222 View Post
    All the feedback is great. I've been working out and I've just now book marked all the websites thanks to tree.
    If you're on Facebook, like those sites there as well - then you'll get your daily dose of info while keeping up with your friends.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    If you're on Facebook, like those sites there as well - then you'll get your daily dose of info while keeping up with your friends.
    I like as many as possible FF Facebook sites....been doing it for years! I've got to keep up to date being a FF or not being a FF

Forum Member

I know how you feel about wanting to know everything and being the best you can. I just joined our local volly dept last month. The only thing that is helping me is youtube. Watching videos of other depts. helps me more than just reading about it. I know every dept does things different but the same things have to be done in the end. As my chief told me there is more than one way to get things done but as long as the end result is the same thats all that matters.

Forum Member

Pay attention to what the senior members have to say and give them the respect that's due to them. Also, learn, and do it quickly, which of the senior members actually know what they're talking about versus the ones who like to ridicule the others. The simple, "Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut" blanket statement is an honest and hard look at how to get along in a volunteer department.

Learn the job. Become a student of the job you choose to volunteer at. As others have said, there's countless resources out there, don't expect things to come to you, get up and go get them. Once you learn something, practice it until you don't get it wrong, then keep practicing. Most importantly, even if you become the master of something, don't go rubbing it in the senior guys faces or you will quickly fail.

The greatest failure of members who join the department I'm on is they lack patience and the ability to retain what is taught to them. If you can master patience and be able to retain - and repeat - what is properly taught to you, there's no reason you shouldn't enjoy all there is to this proud service.
    19firefighter84 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jvanorder View Post
    I know how you feel about wanting to know everything and being the best you can. I just joined our local volly dept last month. The only thing that is helping me is youtube. Watching videos of other depts. helps me more than just reading about it. I know every dept does things different but the same things have to be done in the end. As my chief told me there is more than one way to get things done but as long as the end result is the same thats all that matters.
    I'm always watching youtube vids on firefighting. Whether its a fire cam, or ride alongs or training its all great to watch. I'm always doing reading as well. I can't wait to start my fire class in september. So excited!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WBFD25 View Post
    Pay attention to what the senior members have to say and give them the respect that's due to them. Also, learn, and do it quickly, which of the senior members actually know what they're talking about versus the ones who like to ridicule the others. The simple, "Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut" blanket statement is an honest and hard look at how to get along in a volunteer department.

Learn the job. Become a student of the job you choose to volunteer at. As others have said, there's countless resources out there, don't expect things to come to you, get up and go get them. Once you learn something, practice it until you don't get it wrong, then keep practicing. Most importantly, even if you become the master of something, don't go rubbing it in the senior guys faces or you will quickly fail.

The greatest failure of members who join the department I'm on is they lack patience and the ability to retain what is taught to them. If you can master patience and be able to retain - and repeat - what is properly taught to you, there's no reason you shouldn't enjoy all there is to this proud service.
    Thanks for the info ill use it to my advantage. I'm learning as much as possible. And been going on runs too. Cant do too much right now but its great experience in my eyes. Hopefully ill hear those tones drop tonight. I've been waiting all night. I'm sure I won't hear anything until early morning. Seems like early morning calls are a common occurence in the fire service.

Forum Member

Be careful with the Youtube, Facebook, etc websites. There's as much bad stuff out there as there is good in my opinion. I've even seen erroneous info presented on mainstream firefighting sites, and not in forum but home page. As others have previously stated, listen to and emulate the senior FF's, officers and chiefs within your own department. They are the ones you have to work with and they are the ones who will impart the policies and procedures of YOUR department. They are also the ones who will be evaluating you.
    The physical fitness advice is great.
    It seems like you are off to a good start with your attitude and willingness to learn.
    Good Luck and Stay Safe!
    CaptOldTimer likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by captnjak View Post
    Be careful with the Youtube, Facebook, etc websites. There's as much bad stuff out there as there is good in my opinion. I've even seen erroneous info presented on mainstream firefighting sites, and not in forum but home page. As others have previously stated, listen to and emulate the senior FF's, officers and chiefs within your own department. They are the ones you have to work with and they are the ones who will impart the policies and procedures of YOUR department. They are also the ones who will be evaluating you.
    The physical fitness advice is great.
    It seems like you are off to a good start with your attitude and willingness to learn.
    Good Luck and Stay Safe!
    Thanks captnjak I feel like attitude is everything my positive attitude and willingness will take me a long way, I just know it! You bet your behind that I am listening to every officer including my chief I don't want to miss a thing that they are teaching/telling me.

Forum Member

one thing that is good to learn early on is where everything is on the trucks as well as at the station. knowing where the k12 is or the cribbing will allow you to be able to offer more while on scene. this is particularly easy to pick up on if your dept regularly does truck checks. don't be afraid to ask someone where or what something is as it will only help you to learn.

Forum Member

Patience. It's the hardest thing I've dealt with lately, and as time goes on I get better with it. I like to try and convey my persistence as just that, persistence. Not impatience. I had (and still have) so many questions for people about what I can and cannot do, why this is the way it is, how to do this or that... etc. I began to feel like I was pestering the Training Officer. So I bottled my questions and came to him with lists. hahahaha

Also YouTube. I've learned so much from that dang site it's unbelievable.
    I'm only 20 but this is what I've learned as I crash into the world that is the fire service.

I too, live and breathe training. I cant get enough of it.

Find out if your department (or future departments) require any sort of self-paced training, at least for wildland firefighting. Around here, everyone requires "S-130/S-190", "ICS-100", "ICS-200", etc. which can all be found free online and will give you recognized certificates upon completion.

Forum Member

Subscribe to several of the trade magazines. Fire Engineering, Firehouse, come to mind right away. Very good article and write ups in there.

You can use google to search for other.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information