Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GaryNJFirefighter

Thread: Future Tennessee Titan makes a grab...

Default Future Tennessee Titan makes a grab...

A tip of the leather to Jonathan "Tig" Willard for doing the right thing...

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -
    A free agent for the Tennessee Titans is being hailed a hero Tuesday night after he pulled a family and their dog from a burning car.

The dramatic rescue occurred on Interstate 40 as Jonathan "Tig" Willard was on his way from South Carolina to Nashville for training camp.

Willard, a popular linebacker from Clemson, told the university's sports Web site that after he spotted the smoke coming from the woman's vehicle, he immediately began blowing his horn to get the driver's attention.

By the time the driver of the vehicle pulled over, her vehicle was fully engulfed.

Willard and another passerby quickly sprung into action and pulled the mother, her three young children and their dog from the burning vehicle.

"I was just glad that we got the kids and all of them out of the car," he told Tigernet.com. "I was thinking that I was just doing what everybody else would do, but there were cars just going past us and no one else was stopping, so I don't know if that is what would happen or not."

He added the victim was extremely grateful for his help.

"She just kept thanking me. That car was just gone. It went up quick," he said.

Willard was one of Clemson's star linebackers in the last few years.

He signed with the Tennessee Titans as a free agent after the 2013 NFL draft.
    http://www.wkrn.com/story/22916115/t...om-burning-car
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

As the linebacker noted, a whole bunch of people drove right on by. Before I joined the fire dept. I was not one to drive on by. I am not saying that these other people are no good, far from it. I appreciate that most people know their limitations and decide not to make a bad situation worse. I believe it goes to show that we in the fire service are wired a bit differently. Mr. Willard could be a firefighter. Thanks for doing the right thing Mr. Willard.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Another every day person doing the right thing. Nice work!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Somebody give that man a helmet and a pair of boots, if the NFL thing doesn't work out for him atleast he has an idea of a fall back career now. People do amaze me sometimes, I recently arrived on an MVA/Fire w/ entrapment. There was a little old man (mid 70's) trying his hardest to pull the unconscious woman from the back seat of the burning vehicle while a car full of 18-20 year old males shot video with there cell phones. SMH. Stay safe everybody.

P.S He was successfully able to remove the victim from the car as we pulled up and from what I understand she is doing fine now. Another example of "America's Greatest Generation" outshining "America's Laziest Generation" lol
    backsteprescue123 likes this.
    Gary
    Advanced Firefighter -T.R.F.D
    Engine Co. #1 "The House On The Hill"

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

Thread Information