Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FWDbuff

Thread: SCOTT SCBA Snap Change feature

Forum Member

Default SCOTT SCBA Snap Change feature

Anyone out there have this feature on their SCBA, where you no longer have to screw the high pressure hose to the bottle? If so, do you like it? Have you had any issues?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFDGloWorm View Post
    Anyone out there have this feature on their SCBA, where you no longer have to screw the high pressure hose to the bottle? If so, do you like it? Have you had any issues?
    I don't have experience with them, but when I was doing research last year, it didn't look like the snap change packs were compatable with the screw-on bottles. Since we were supplementing our current packs, and not replacing everything, that was a non-starter.

Forum Member

Aw, that's a shame. Now that we're all a single national service over here we'll doubtless be looking at standardising kit and I'd love to see the back of that annoying screw fitting, but I think all the old brigades used the same kind of bottles, even if they used different sets, so I don't see us getting the snap-change type. Pity.

Forum Member

We have them and I really like it, we've used them for a year and no troubles so far. Like previously mentioned though, they aren't compatible with the screw on bottles (at least the ones we had anyway). We replaced all of our packs and bottles though so it wasn't an issue for us.

Forum Member

I dont trust them. 4500psi is a LOT of air. Honestly, how long does it take to screw down or unscrew a threaded fitting? We plan on staying with the threads.
    WBFD25 likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

We have had them for 2 years now and love them. Quick bottle changes, no more leaks in the high pressure line, no cross threading, and very firefighter friendly. The locking mechanism engages with air pressure and won’t allow the bottle to come off if there is any pressure in the system. Because of their design you don’t need to open the valve to fill the bottles (one way valve on a threaded connection for filling).

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I dont trust them. 4500psi is a LOT of air. Honestly, how long does it take to screw down or unscrew a threaded fitting? We plan on staying with the threads.
    I agree in that these are our life lines so to speak, but the pressure is half of many hydraulic tools that we use with snap-couplings, I've not seen reports of those failing?

Forum Member

Have used these once while training at Texas A & M.

They seemed to work well, and when I asked the staff about issues or durability, they stated that they had found no significant problems.

Given the usage on their SCBAs, that's a pretty good testament.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

i've used them once when i attended a fire school in south florida for a week of assorted classes.. coming from an MSA department, i really liked the simplicity of the "snap change feature". except the regulator being huge compared to the the msa regulator, and my small hands having difficulty removing it from my belt and mask(became easier as the live burns went on)

i would take the snap change over the threads for sure though

Forum Member

We bought 12 snap packs in 2004 and have loved them. I have been on since 2007 and have never seen an issue resulting from the snap feature. We did have a couple fires where they froze up and couldn't be released, but a few minutes in the warm truck and they were just fine.

I can switch out a tank on someone in less than 10 seconds. Plus, the pack makes a reassuring noise when the tank is either disconnected or snapped in.

Time at the filling station is a bit quicker too. You don't have to open the value to fill. Not really a big deal but hey, why not?

On the flip side, I have never ran into another dept. that uses them. So in the case of a mutual aid call, we cannot use their tanks. This hasn't been a problem yet, but there is that possibility. I was at a state run training back in 2007 and got into an argument with the fill station guy because he insisted that I needed to open the valve. It was pretty comical because the guy was being all macho about being right, but it highlighted the fact that these packs are not widely used in my area. That was 6 years ago, so there might be more around now.

All in all, our packs have just gone 'obsolete' so we will be looking into new ones via this year's AFG grant (if that ever happens). We will be looking to get the same feature again.

Be safe
    Be safe!

Thread Information