Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Fundraising Ideas for Very small town dept

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Still looks like fireworks are legal in some parts of kansas
    around here we can buy/sell up to 2 weeks before the 4th and 1 week after. So no bueno on fireworks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by astanford View Post
    around here we can buy/sell up to 2 weeks before the 4th and 1 week after. So no bueno on fireworks
    Why not normally firework stand is good money

Will not totally fund you but put some gas in the tank

Forum Member

Would the powers to be allow an annual fire fee? For each house/ business and if not paid they are charged per run?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Would the powers to be allow an annual fire fee? For each house/ business and if not paid they are charged per run?
    Can always bring it up with the chief but as with most Dept related things the City Council and Mayor would have to sign off on it, Which I seem to think they don't understand how vital fire services really are since they dont like to replace things.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by astanford View Post
    Well we are a dept of 8 members, The city rarely gives us any money to pay for anything except bills so most of the time we end up footing the bill. As for consolidating, We really only get about 15 calls per year with most of those being mutual aid, We only serve our city limits due to the way the county is structured, They have 4 County Fire Districts each covering 1/4 of the county, We are automatically paged for mutual aid if there is a structure fire within a certain radius of our town (5 miles diameter from city limits) due to the county district being 10 miles away from our area. but when it comes to brush fires unless they are busy and need us to respond they will take the call even though they are 8-10 minutes out + response time for their volunteers. I honestly feel we should be the primary response dept for anything within 5 miles of our town but that's just my opinion. Grants would be nice but where to start? I recently joined 5 months ago and from what I see they either don't want to deal with any kind of extra paperwork or just don't have the time. I have the time and would put forth the effort but I have no idea where to even look on that front. I know our dept could use some new Turnouts and SCBA units as well as a newer pumper then what we have (1967 Mack CF600) It seats 4 with 2 SCBA seats but sometimes doesn't like to pump and the transmission feels like shes going to go at any time as well as the basic tools of the trade, Axe's, Halligan, Pike Poles, etc... If I remember right we have 2 Axes, 1 Long and 1 Short pike pole and a single halligan and a chainsaw for roof ventilation. That pretty much covers our tools we have on the truck. The turnout gear the rest of the dept has is i believe 7 years old, the Radios we have are crap (They stay at the station unless we get a call) and there is not enough functioning pagers for each member (Minitor V's) due to them either having bad batterys or just not functioning. So by all means if someone can feed me some info on where/how to apply for grants please send me a message!
    That's not a fire department, it's a historical firefighing reenactment organization. Time for a new Chief.

Forum Member

Our community has a little less than 300 people in it, and most are elderly.

We have had fish fry fundraisers, and they generally do well on Fridays or Saturdays. We typically avoid the middle of summer, as a lot of the elderly folks in the community don't like to get out in extreme hot or cold. With a menu of fried fish, french fries, hush puppies, cole slaw, potato salad, beans and dessert, it is pretty easy to cook. Many of our members have frying equipment, and food can be made fast and served fresh. We have had really good luck with swai, which is similar to catfish, but with some big advantages. First, it is milder tasting, so people that like fish but not catfish will generally like swai. Also, I have yet to have a piece that tasted muddy, like some catfish, and a few pieces of muddy tasting catfish can ruin a good fish fry. Lastly, the last time we used it, we could get it through the distributor for about 1/2 the price of catfish. Hunting is big here, so we try to plan our fundraisers around hunting season, when we generally have four to five times the population.

We have also done gun fundraisers and sold tickets.

Our best fundraiser is probably direct mailing. We get a list of all the landowners from the tax district, and mail letters to everyone. If we have any particular needs or have had a hard fire season, we mention that in the letter. As a general rule, always try to have a specific reason for fundraising. If it is new bunker gear or a new truck, whatever, include pictures and posters of what you are after with an explanation of why you need it and how much you need to raise to obtain it. The more people know, the more they give.

We also created a Facebook page to just keep everyone in the community informed when we do pretty much anything. It opened a lot of people's eyes into how much work actually goes on at the Fire Hall, and helps build support.

Forum Member

We do raffles all the time and my department is in Kansas. Its not like the county attorney is going to prosecute the Fire Dept for doing a raffle.
    Have a steak feed, sell tickets for $50 a person and make it all you can eat and drink except for alcohol, then set up a bar and actually charge for the beer.
    If nobody will donate the beef and other food I would at least hope a local grocer would give you a nice discount if you publicly thanked them. If you sell 50 tickets that's a pretty nice chunk of money....not to mention the beer you sell!
    You should send letters to the bigger departments in the state like Wichita, Shawnae Mission, Salina, Topeka and see what they do with there used/surplus gear, I know of a town in western Kansas and that got all knew 4 inch supply hose when a large department upgraded to 5 in supply.
    Just my thoughts from a local Kansas Fireman..........
    astanford likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by iggerz View Post
    We do raffles all the time and my department is in Kansas. Its not like the county attorney is going to prosecute the Fire Dept for doing a raffle.
    Have a steak feed, sell tickets for $50 a person and make it all you can eat and drink except for alcohol, then set up a bar and actually charge for the beer.
    If nobody will donate the beef and other food I would at least hope a local grocer would give you a nice discount if you publicly thanked them. If you sell 50 tickets that's a pretty nice chunk of money....not to mention the beer you sell!
    You should send letters to the bigger departments in the state like Wichita, Shawnae Mission, Salina, Topeka and see what they do with there used/surplus gear, I know of a town in western Kansas and that got all knew 4 inch supply hose when a large department upgraded to 5 in supply.
    Just my thoughts from a local Kansas Fireman..........
    Thanks for the Idea, I will pitch the Idea to the dept Wed at our meeting, I will also contact our county AG and see what his thoughts are on the raffle, While I understand they probably wont prosecute I would want it in stone so we cover our end.

Quote Originally Posted by WVFD705 View Post
    Our community has a little less than 300 people in it, and most are elderly.

We have had fish fry fundraisers, and they generally do well on Fridays or Saturdays. We typically avoid the middle of summer, as a lot of the elderly folks in the community don't like to get out in extreme hot or cold. With a menu of fried fish, french fries, hush puppies, cole slaw, potato salad, beans and dessert, it is pretty easy to cook. Many of our members have frying equipment, and food can be made fast and served fresh. We have had really good luck with swai, which is similar to catfish, but with some big advantages. First, it is milder tasting, so people that like fish but not catfish will generally like swai. Also, I have yet to have a piece that tasted muddy, like some catfish, and a few pieces of muddy tasting catfish can ruin a good fish fry. Lastly, the last time we used it, we could get it through the distributor for about 1/2 the price of catfish. Hunting is big here, so we try to plan our fundraisers around hunting season, when we generally have four to five times the population.

We have also done gun fundraisers and sold tickets.

Our best fundraiser is probably direct mailing. We get a list of all the landowners from the tax district, and mail letters to everyone. If we have any particular needs or have had a hard fire season, we mention that in the letter. As a general rule, always try to have a specific reason for fundraising. If it is new bunker gear or a new truck, whatever, include pictures and posters of what you are after with an explanation of why you need it and how much you need to raise to obtain it. The more people know, the more they give.

We also created a Facebook page to just keep everyone in the community informed when we do pretty much anything. It opened a lot of people's eyes into how much work actually goes on at the Fire Hall, and helps build support.
    Thanks for the ideas!

Thread Information