Forum Member

Default What can I do with Pro Board Cert?

I just recently graduated from FF1 and it is a Pro Board Acredited facility.

I want a career in the fire dept, and I know with cert can put me in better running than those that don't. I'd really like to get in a military base FD or an airport FD. What's the next step?

Forum Member

congrats on the graduation.. as far as military or airport FD's, you're gonna want to go on and get your EMT-B, ARFF(aircraft rescue and firefighting).. as far as militay that i understand(very limited), if you're lucky enough to find a base that is hiring from the outside, you might not need anything and they'll train you in evberything within the first year, or you would need arff, pro-board, emt-b, haz mat technician, etc etc

Forum Member

what state are you in?

A little competion for miltary base, with all the air force firefighters out there

You might look at a city department that also covers the airport and get on with them with the goal to work at an airport.

You know airports do not have that many fires?

Forum Member

First, make sure you HAVE your Pro-Board certifications - just because a facility is accredited doesn't necessarily mean you automatically get the cert.....we run into this at work quite often.

Once you have the Pro-Board certs, if you change states, many will take those classes so you don't have to take them over again, or possibly can start a little higher up on the ladder.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkbait411 View Post
    I just recently graduated from FF1 and it is a Pro Board Acredited facility.

I want a career in the fire dept, and I know with cert can put me in better running than those that don't. I'd really like to get in a military base FD or an airport FD. What's the next step?

Forum Member

Former Federal FF here.....Most DoD Facilities require at least the following to be hired as a GS5 "Trainee":

IFSAC/Pro-Board FFI, EMT-B (for whichever state the facility is located in, or NREMT-B if the state offers reciprocity) Haz-Mat Operations, ARFF Basic (if the facility has an airfield) They could have added more since I have been around, I really don't know.

To be hired as a GS6 Firefighter:
    IFSAC/Pro-Board FFII, EMT-B, Fire Officer I, Fire Inspector I, ARFF Advanced (for an airfield) D/O Pumpers, Aerials & ARFF (if there is an airfield) They could have added more since I have been around, I really don't know.

Additionally, for most DoD Facilities, you must have a clean background. For facilities that require a high security clearance, you must have a SNOW WHITE CLEAN Background. And when I say a snow-white clean background, I mean precisely that. There is a 30-page background questionnaire to fill out for the FBI, who will also do a through background check on you including investigating former employers, schools (yes they visited my high school and viewed transcripts and spoke with teachers...) They will find out if you finger banged Mary Jane Rottencrotch in the backseat of your mom's car when you were 16....trust me.

Go to www.usajobs.com, and follow the prompts and enter "0081" into the job classification series box to search available civilian firefighter jobs. Read over the position descriptions carefully, some of them are disguised recruitment ads.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Thanks guys. I have LOTS of homework to do now. Thankfully I am 18 and I have some time. Im quartered in South NJ for those who wonder. Im spending my senior year of HS getting my additional certs like extrication I and II, FF Survival and what not. I am getting my EMT after I graduate HS. If I have any questions, I will surely contact you, FWDBuff.

Forum Member

NJ does not have a Pro Board FF1. If you have NJ FF1, you have just that....NJ FF1. It's not IFSAC, its not ProBoard, it's just NJ.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information