• 1 Post By CarnyTheKid

Thread: Detroit Fire Department

Forum Member

Default Detroit Fire Department

Name:  FirefightersRecruitFlyer.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  69.5 KB

Detroit Fire Department Hiring!

Anyone who applies for Detroit right now is absolutely insane.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Why do you say that?
    Jerry Stewart
    Firefighter Engine Company No. 44
    Licensed Paramedic State of Michigan
    Detroit1552fire@yahoo.com
    (313) 732 7377
    Detroit Fire Department Local 344

Quote Originally Posted by detroitfire1552 View Post
    Why do you say that?
    Well gee, lets see.....Besides the city just declaring bankruptcy? Fire stations with raw sewage freely flowing through the basements, rigs held together with bailing wire and duct tape......Or should we discuss important reasons like what will the new contracts say about the pension that you may or may not get and how the city will probably have the right to renegotiate as they see fit? How about furloughs? How about the guys at the bottom of the totem pole being the first to get laid off......Now granted that's a situation that anyone can face, but to willingly do it for a city that has just declared bankruptcy??? That's paramount to pulling the pin on a grenade and having a toss with it.
    CFD11 likes this.

Forum Member

They seem to be proud in tradition with lots of work, although I am not sure the ramifications of the new Emergency Manager.

Forum Member

You have to know with this city you have no idea what will happen in the future. Sure they get plenty of work and have tradition, but the city went bankrupt. For Unions and creditors, that is no good. You will be taking pay cuts, you will be paying more for health insurance with probably less coverage, and who knows what type of pension IF ANY you will have. This is uncharted waters as Detroit is the largest municipal bankruptcy in history. You may get plenty of fire and tradition, and not much more than minimum wage for it. If you live in or around Detroit and do not have a job and do not have to move to take this job, then sure go for it. But as for everyone else, be VERY CAREFUL.
    FWDbuff likes this.

Fighting fires is awesome. It is, contrary to what some think, what this profession is all about. When considering where you wish to take your career, there are many factors that must be considered. Work load, tradition, others services provided with in a given department, relative distance to family, even previous family members having served in a given department are all considerations.

Financial security for yourself and your family must be right near the top. The answer to what that is belongs to an individual. Think about where you would like to be in five, ten, fifteen years and beyond. Financial stability includes salary, but, it also includes your pension-probably THE most important consideration, IMO. Health care/dental contributions, uniforms, longevity/education pay, military preferences for the time you spent serving this nation, and even residency rules/requirements.

I would never tell anyone not to apply for a given position, and I'm not here, in this instance. I just know there are people moving across the country to test for firefighting jobs. Heck, they're coming from all over the US to work in my city, and that blows my mind.

Each person has to answer all of these different questions and figure out what is important for their situation.
    When you consider, you are considering for a lifetime job. This career is one in which you very likely will stay with your employer for thirty years.

Well said Carny. You too Jasper. I would only apply for Detroit if I were a local. No way am I moving across the country for a job based on unknowns.

Thread Information