+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... Last
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Most Important FireFighting Question You want Answered: Please Suggest

  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default Most Important FireFighting Question You want Answered: Please Suggest

    Hi Guys and Girls,

    We are going to publish an expert round-up post on our blog and we need your opinion on the most important question you want answered from an expert. I am sure it's going to be lot of Fun! Please propose your questions below :

    Here's two from me:

    #1 What is the most important firefighting tool?

    OR

    #2 What has the biggest firefighting safety feature been since 1900?

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    http://www.firefighternation.com/art...y-fire-service

    # 3. why are fires fought like Ben Franklin did???

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,106

    Default

    Why are firefighters only valued after either a huge incident or when one or more of us die?
    RyanK63 likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    http://www.firefighternation.com/art...y-fire-service

    # 3. why are fires fought like Ben Franklin did???
    Maybe it's because Ben Franklin was one of the most brilliant men to ever live!

    This Doctor Clark that the link references to has a problem with being aggressive, getting close to the fire and putting water on it. If he has a better way, he should tell us what it is already. No one seems to have a better way. There are many who want us to change. Change to what exactly? We can't just step back and "let em burn". Or at least most of us can't. Especially in the urban environment. You can't just give up the building. Fire would spread from apartment to apartment and then building to building and not stop until it got to the last building on the block.

    So I guess my question is this: For those who condemn our so called over agressive tactics, what's YOUR answer?
    conrad427 likes this.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Why are firefighters only valued after either a huge incident or when one or more of us die?
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    conrad427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Just south of Canada
    Posts
    541

    Default

    Why are unmotivated veterans of the fire service intimidated by young motivated fire fighters? What is gained by putting them down?
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    Why are unmotivated veterans of the fire service intimidated by young motivated fire fighters? What is gained by putting them down?
    I would counter that with why do wise azz young firefighters that think they know it all refuse to listen to experienced, trained, skilled veterans, and have to learn through their own stupid mistakes?

    This is not directed at you conrad427...But simply in rebuttal to your question. I get frustrated with some of the younger generation looking at anyone with age or experience as being a fossil not worth listening to.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    #1 Who proclaimed the person we are directing these questions an "expert"?

    #2 How would you remove the politics from the entire fire service, and allow us to do our jobs without some attention whoring propeller head coming up with an easier way to make our jobs more difficult?
    IAFF

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    conrad427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Just south of Canada
    Posts
    541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I would counter that with why do wise azz young firefighters that think they know it all refuse to listen to experienced, trained, skilled veterans, and have to learn through their own stupid mistakes?

    This is not directed at you conrad427...But simply in rebuttal to your question. I get frustrated with some of the younger generation looking at anyone with age or experience as being a fossil not worth listening to.
    I get what you are saying. I get frustrated with the older generation that wont teach the young guys ANYTHING. We had a training the other day where some of the young guys wanted to learn how to pump the truck. They never got the chance because a 25 year veteran could not figure it out.
    We have some experienced, trained, and motivated veterans who teach us things we need to know. We respect them. We also have veterans who never teach us anything and run us down for "not being here long enough".
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    I get what you are saying. I get frustrated with the older generation that wont teach the young guys ANYTHING. We had a training the other day where some of the young guys wanted to learn how to pump the truck. They never got the chance because a 25 year veteran could not figure it out.
    We have some experienced, trained, and motivated veterans who teach us things we need to know. We respect them. We also have veterans who never teach us anything and run us down for "not being here long enough".
    your painting with a pretty broad brush there.
    ?

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    conrad427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Just south of Canada
    Posts
    541

    Default

    It was not my intention to paint with a broad brush at all. Hell, I cant even finger paint very well.
    Just a narrow based question stemming from the frustration I have with a very narrow section of the fire service in my tiny area. For the most part I am an outsider looking in when it comes to the problems facing some of the other areas in the country.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,404

    Default

    Why are overweight/out-of-shape firefighters allowed to continue to fight fire when everyone damn well knows about the white elephant of the risk of heart attacks/strokes is in the room waiting to bestow doom upon them?
    Jasper 45 likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    Thread destruction in 4...3...2....
    IAFF

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,294

    Default

    Why are we so parochial? Two little tiny struggling departments side by side and mere mention of merging is considered heresy...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    MemphisE34a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Memphis, TN - USA
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fireman5214 View Post
    Hi Guys and Girls,

    We are going to publish an expert round-up post on our blog and we need your opinion on the most important question you want answered from an expert. I am sure it's going to be lot of Fun! Please propose your questions below :

    Here's two from me:

    #1 What is the most important firefighting tool?

    OR

    #2 What has the biggest firefighting safety feature been since 1900?
    You don't have to be an expert to answer these - the answer to both are SCBA's. In today's fires, all of the other tools and equipment would be useless as all firefighting would be limited to shooting water through the windows.

    To be a good firefighter, you don't have to be an expert - you have to have common sense and some balls.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 07-28-2013 at 11:41 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

    Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

    "Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.


    Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    HuntPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northwest PA
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Since I am talking to an expert, I will ask him to tell me everything he knows about firefighting. Then my question will be, "Based on all of the knowledge of fire behavior, attack methods, tools, and all; how can I better do my job?"

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    conrad427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Just south of Canada
    Posts
    541

    Default

    Why is the volunteer fire service required to do bake sales to keep doing its job?
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    Why is the volunteer fire service required to do bake sales to keep doing its job?
    Because we do it and the politicians and the citizens see we do it to fund the FD. Why raise taxes, or otherwise fund the FD, when the vollies will raise their own money?

    I have long HATED with a passion having to fund raise. Volunteers give of their own time to train, maintain equipment, and respond to emergency calls. Isn't that enough? Why don't the cops fund raise for the tools to do their job? How about the DPW? Or even city hall? Many VFDs MUST fundraise to exist. They purchase fuel for the trucks, pay the utilities for the station, and buy most if not all of the equipment through fund raiser money. WHY??


    I joined the fire department to serve my community and I would expect the obligation of the community is to supply me with the tools to do the job. I have no obligation to risk my life with obsolete, out of date, questionable junk for equipment. I am afraid that what it will take is for volunteers to put an ultimatum out that says NO MORE! Supply us with the minimum of equipment and funding to allow us to do the job or we are done. Then if nothing changes walk away. You may say that is cold and heartless, perhaps, but how cold and heartless is it of the community to expect you to risk your life when they won't even fund you properly?

    I am done buying the excuses of no money when those same communities have new or newer squad cars and DPW trucks. I am done buying the excuses of no money when the park is well maintained and flowers get planted every year. I am done buying the excuses when the FD is the ONLY municipal department that must fund raise in order to get the equipment it needs.

    If you think this topic really ****es me off you would be dead on right.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 07-29-2013 at 01:38 PM.
    RangerJake72 and 118Chief like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    MemphisE34a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Memphis, TN - USA
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I have long HATED with a passion having to fund raise. Volunteers give of their own time to train, maintain equipment, and respond to emergency calls. Isn't that enough? Why don't the cops fund raise for the tools to do their job? How about the DPW? Or even city hall? Many VFDs MUST fundraise to exist. They purchase fuel for the trucks, pay the utilities for the station, and buy most if not all of the equipment through fund raiser money. WHY??
    This is the drawback to volunteering in of itself. Not only are all the other agencies you mention not fundraising, with extrememly rare exceptions, none of them are comprised of majority or all volunteer members either.

    Dogooders aiding their community give and give and give, and the community and politicians take and take and take.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

    Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

    "Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.


    Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    conrad427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Just south of Canada
    Posts
    541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    This is the drawback to volunteering in of itself. Not only are all the other agencies you mention not fundraising, with extrememly rare exceptions, none of them are comprised of majority or all volunteer members either.

    Dogooders aiding their community give and give and give, and the community and politicians take and take and take.
    I never thought of it that way. I guess we really are enabling the community to keep us doing bake sales.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Because we do it and the politicians and the citizens see we do it to fund the FD. Why raise taxes, or otherwise fund the FD, when the vollies will raise their own money?

    I have long HATED with a passion having to fund raise. Volunteers give of their own time to train, maintain equipment, and respond to emergency calls. Isn't that enough? Why don't the cops fund raise for the tools to do their job? How about the DPW? Or even city hall? Many VFDs MUST fundraise to exist. They purchase fuel for the trucks, pay the utilities for the station, and buy most if not all of the equipment through fund raiser money. WHY??


    I joined the fire department to serve my community and I would expect the obligation of the community is to supply me with the tools to do the job. I have no obligation to risk my life with obsolete, out of date, questionable junk for equipment. I am afraid that what it will take is for volunteers to put an ultimatum out that says NO MORE! Supply us with the minimum of equipment and funding to allow us to do the job or we are done. Then if nothing changes walk away. You may say that is cold and heartless, perhaps, but how cold and heartless is it of the community to expect you to risk your life when they won't even fund you properly?

    I am done buying the excuses of no money when those same communities have new or newer squad cars and DPW trucks. I am done buying the excuses of no money when the park is well maintained and flowers get planted every year. I am done buying the excuses when the FD is the ONLY municipal department that must fund raise in order to get the equipment it needs.

    If you think this topic really ****es me off you would be dead on right.
    The crowd goes wild with applause!!!! AMEN BROTHER, AMEN!!!!

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    FiremanLyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    948

    Default

    Why do some misguided individuals still paint a fire truck yellow?

    Who's silly enough to use a fog tip?

    Why do traditional style helmets make fires go out quicker?

    Why is the 50% discount at our food eating place say "Police Discount"?

    How many B-Shifters does it take to wash a fire truck? Trick question!

    How does a Federal-Q siren enable a 26 ton fire truck to break the sound barrier, maneuver like a Porsche Boxster, and jump washed out bridges like the General Lee?

    I will continue to think up additional relevant questions. Thought these would get the party started.
    ~Drew
    Firefighter/EMT/Technical Rescue
    USAR TF Rescue Specialist

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    I never thought of it that way. I guess we really are enabling the community to keep us doing bake sales.
    More or less my point from above;

    Because we do it and the politicians and the citizens see we do it to fund the FD. Why raise taxes, or otherwise fund the FD, when the vollies will raise their own money?
    In many ways we have done it to ourselves by being so willing to help that we let ourselves get walked on by the community and the local government.
    conrad427 likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  24. #24
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Why don't the cops fund raise for the tools to do their job? How about the DPW? Or even city hall? Many VFDs MUST fundraise to exist. They purchase fuel for the trucks, pay the utilities for the station, and buy most if not all of the equipment through fund raiser money. WHY??
    Not saying it's right (and we are fully funded), but....

    I refer to money obtained by fundraising as indirect taxes. Oddly, many people who willingly donate/buy chicken/attend dances would complain bitterly if the money raised through those fundraisers was divvied up between all the residents and added to their tax bill....

    If I was willing to wait for a half hour for the nearest available fire truck to respond to my house fire, then I'd be getting the same level of service I can sometimes expect from the police around here (sheriff/state police). That fancy new radar gun was bought with a grant, just like the radios in their vehicles and their tasers. And they'll put well over 100,000 miles on each of those patrol cars this year.

    Years ago, the village police in the town I grew up in held a fundraiser to buy an oxygen rig for the patrol car.

    There was a time that you worked off part of your tax obligation to some townships by helping to maintain the road in front of your house. I don't fault the highway guys their big snowplows - or their overtime. At least the roads are clear in the winter time.

    Unfortunately, many places that fundraise by necessity are faced with a populace that refuses to pay in taxes what they spend on pulltabs at the FD dance. Then we have the subscription issue...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

  25. #25
    Forum Member
    conrad427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Just south of Canada
    Posts
    541

    Default

    The thing that bothers me about fund raising is that the same people always donate. So, very few fund the fire protection for many.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Serious and Important Question
    By JasonAre in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 02:44 PM
  2. Important FDNY question
    By bridgeportfd in forum New York
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 07:55 PM
  3. New.. have important question
    By Stang302 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2005, 09:41 AM
  4. Question????? Important...
    By fireguy2003 in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-14-2003, 07:32 AM
  5. By Law Question - Very Important!!
    By mifdprez in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2001, 07:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register