Forum Member

Default Questions About Federal Fire Departments.

Ok a little background first. Been a Volunteer firefighter for 6 years and recently got my paramedic. I also have FFI, FFII, Instructor 1, Hazmat ops, vehicle rescue tech, all Pro Board. I have various other certs but they are not pro board.

I have been trying to move into the DC area I have recently applied to Fort Meyer and Fort Belvoir. These positions are FF/BLS I know its not for a medic firefighter and my medic wont help too much in the hiring, but I need a job anything I can get at this point.

So my questions are

1. I know Driver operator is big as well as ARFF, do I even stand a chance without these certs?
    2. What is the physical agility test, there is no info on USAJOBS.gov about what it consist of.
    3. Does the Army employ FF/Medics or is paramedic another position altogether? All I have seen on the government site is for firefighter BLS not ALS.

Forum Member

Appears may hurt since they support flying

http://www.fortmyerfire.com/appartus/index/page_id/423

And more than likely going against ex military firefighters

Does the Feds still work 72 hours a week???

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t123965/ (DOD Fire Agility test)

Have you been testing for any cities???
    Last edited by fire49; 07-29-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Forum Member

Yeah the schedule is 48 on 72 off for both I believe.

I have been applying to cities/county's in the DC area. Most are not taking apps at this time. The others I just missed the process and they are currently doing testing and interviews.

I have an app in at Fairfax county since they leave the ff/medic open all the time, but I was talking to some guys there and the said they are doing tests now, seems like I missed that one as well. I really want a FF job but I even have apps in DC and Andrews AFB for Paramedic no fire.

Forum Member

Some facilities do physical agility, some do not- ALL do a medical exam.

You can get hired as a GS-5 trainee without the Driver Certs. You need D/O Pumps/Aerials and ARFF helps for airfields of course. Also the FAA 40 hour ARFF course helps as well but again you could get picked up as a 5 trainee. Try to get Fire Inspector I and Fire Officer I as well.

Aberdeen Proving Ground hires Medic only, no Medic FF but you are under the Fire Dept. Probably one of the last bases around that still does the 7-group 24/24 chart- but as the old men are retiring I understand they are looking seriously at 48/72.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Worldwide Menace

Really hate to crush your dreams here but you would be hard pressed to find a Fed Firefighting or Medic job that does not require veterans Preference points.

-Damien

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    Really hate to crush your dreams here but you would be hard pressed to find a Fed Firefighting or Medic job that does not require veterans Preference points.

-Damien
    Uhhhh Damien Aberdeen Proving Ground FD is a 60-man Dept and I say less than half are vets....I also know many, many guys at other installations that are NOT Vets.......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Uhhhh Damien Aberdeen Proving Ground FD is a 60-man Dept and I say less than half are vets....I also know many, many guys at other installations that are NOT Vets.......
    Indeed. Many places offer the 'apprentice' programs that bring in outside blood the federal spots. A good idea in my opinion. Many sites are so inbreed in terms of training, and ideas, they fail to grow.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    Indeed. Many places offer the 'apprentice' programs that bring in outside blood the federal spots. A good idea in my opinion. Many sites are so inbreed in terms of training, and ideas, they fail to grow.
    Never heard of any kind of an apprentice program- do you mean a "trainee" position? I was hired as a GS4/1 "trainee" TEMP NTE ONE YEAR back in 1994. Extended one year, then picked up as a term, and then converted to full career. Ended a 10-year run as a GS7/4 FF/DO/EMT.

Forum Member

I believe these were actually 'student' positions recruited out of the local community college fire science program. None of them were prior service, and they brought a great amount of 'outside' knowledge to the job.

Thread Information