Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What to expect to go over/happen in my Fire 1 Class

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Find out what text book they use and GET ONE NOW! Start looking it over. Read the introduction and history of the fire service chapters.

As an instructor here is some advice I will give you.

1) READ THE ASSIGNED CHAPTERS. I know INSTANTLY who has and who hasn't. If you aren't going to read the chapters don't waste your time or the instructors, and even more importantly your fellow students time.

2) PRACTICE THE SKILLS OUTSIDE OF CLASS. One glaring example that can't be hidden is people that never practice donning and doffing their gear and SCBA. The other one is tieing knots, if you don't practice outside of class you set yourself up for failure.

3) SHUT UP AND LISTEN. You are there to learn and unless the instructor asks how your FD does something it is nothing more than static listening to students talk about how they do something. Time is limited and there isn't time to listen to 20 students discussing that their FD does the whatever skill differently. That is not to say that at a break you can't mention it to the instructor for feedback.

4) ASK QUESTIONS, RELEVANT QUESTIONS. Don't ask the airplane falls out of the sky, crashes into a 9000 gallon gasoline tanker that then crashes into a railroad car full of molten sulfur next to the orphange and the pristine lake now in danger of an envirinmental holocaust.

5) BE EARLY FOR CLASS AND READY TO GO TO WORK. Early, at least 15 minutes early, is on time for students, probies, and rookies. Some instructors like the student there earlier than that. Find out what you instructor wants, and then do it.

6) BE PREPARED FOR CLASS. If there was homework have it out and ready to go over or hand in. If you are doing donning/doffing make sure your gear is good to go and your SCBA if FULL. Again, don't waste other's time because it isn't important enough for you to be ready.

7) DRESS PROPERLY FOR CLASS. Some fire schools have dress codes. Find out and follow them. If they don't then jeans and an FD T-shirt may be appropriate. Don't come dressed in raggy jeans, a Co-ed naked firefighting shirt, and boots covered with cow schitt. Look the part. The tech school I taught for had a dress code for thoses in the fire academy. Uniform pants, black leather belt, uniform t-shirt, black shoes or boots. NO EXCEPTIONS. Look professional.

8) GOOD LUCK. I may sound harsh but to me these are all important facets if you want to be considered professional.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 08-07-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    CaptOldTimer and FF-Andy like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Find out what text book they use and GET ONE NOW! Start looking it over. Read the introduction and history of the fire service chapters.

As an instructor here is some advice I will give you.

1) READ THE ASSIGNED CHAPTERS. I know INSTANTLY who has and who hasn't. If you aren't going to read the chapters don't waste your time or the instructors, and even more importantly your fellow students time.

2) PRACTICE THE SKILLS OUTSIDE OF CLASS. One glaring example that can't be hidden is people that never practice donning and doffing their gear and SCBA. The other one is tieing knots, if you don't practice outside of class you set yourself up for failure.

3) SHUT UP AND LISTEN. You are there to learn and unless the instructor asks how your FD does something it is nothing more than static listening to students talk about how they do something. Time is limited and there isn't time to listen to 20 students discussing that their FD does the whatever skill differently. That is not to say that at a break you can't mention it to the instructor for feedback.

4) ASK QUESTIONS, RELEVANT QUESTIONS. Don't ask the airplane falls out of the sky, crashes into a 9000 gallon gasoline tanker that then crashes into a railroad car full of molten sulfur next to the orphange and the pristine lake now in danger of an envirinmental holocaust.

5) BE EARLY FOR CLASS AND READY TO GO TO WORK. Early, at least 15 minutes early, is on time for students, probies, and rookies. Some instructors like the student there earlier than that. Find out what you instructor wants, and then do it.

6) BE PREPARED FOR CLASS. If there was homework have it out and ready to go over or hand in. If you are doing donning/doffing make sure your gear is good to go and your SCBA if FULL. Again, don't waste other's time because it isn't important enough for you to be ready.

7) DRESS PROPERLY FOR CLASS. Some fire schools have dress codes. Find out and follow them. If they don't then jeans and an FD T-shirt may be appropriate. Don't come dressed in raggy jeans, a Co-ed naked firefighting shirt, and boots covered with cow schitt. Look the part. The tech school I taught for had a dress code for thoses in the fire academy. Uniform pants, black leather belt, uniform t-shirt, black shoes or boots. NO EXCEPTIONS. Look professional.

8) GOOD LUCK. I may sound harsh but to me these are all important facets if you want to be considered professional.
    FyredUp,
    I don't think your being harsh at all. I thank you for bringing all these things to my attention. I know a few of the guys still have the books from their Fire 1 class and I know they would let me borrow them. I have been practicing my knots but not my donning and doffing. my chief and officers said that I will have plenty of time to practice donning and doffing. but for now I will study study study until my class. My goal is to graduate first in my class and I don't plan to settle for anything less. I've been waiting for this all my life and now that it's here i'm going to do it right and I wont give up and i'll always be ready and willing to work. Again, thanks for the information......

Good stuff FyredUp. Thats the whole consensus that my instructors gave my class.

Never waste an instructors time.

Thread Information